Help a FNG pick my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryt

Reaction score
Well, I cannot stand it any more. I have to buy a FJR. I have been lurking and learning. I am currently riding a 09' Versys, and I like it, but...Feejer fever has set in. I am selling my Versys(hopefully) to help get the FJR. I have a budget of 6-7K, so the early years for me. I have been lusting over the silver 03' posted on here. I am just scared of buying a bike with miles and no warranty. I know about the tickers, leg cookers,etc. But with my budget what would you guys look for?

I mean should I look at a 06' with lots of miles to get into a 2nd gen bike. Stay in budget and find a good 03? 04? 05?

I need help from the pros, who know and ride this great machine. I am scared to buy because me trying to fix a cam chain tensioner scares me. The heat issue I can handle or fix. Even say a good deal, but front ABS worked, rear did not?

I am in West TN and want a FJR for comfortable riding for me and the wife sometimes. I will commute 28 miles daily on it and ride when I can. I rode all winter when roads where good. I am ATGAT rider. I just think the FJR is a better fit for me than a Connie or Z1000.

Thanks for any tips, ideas, etc.

Quick.... purchase either of the two stellar Gen I bikes currently on this board. Don't worry about the CCT, there is plenty of expertise on this board to help you out and there is always a local mechanic that can help out and at last resort...... a dealer. I'm envious as I'm still lusting after one of those purdy 03'/04' gems for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for the newest bike you can afford. For what you're looking to spend, you can pick up a very nice low mile '06 or '07 and get a much better overall package. The bikes you're referring to are overpriced and will only sell to an uninformed buyer. Forget KBB & NADA values. Keep in mind that any extras on bikes are at most, worth $.50 on the dollar probably much less.

The deals are out there, be patient and you'll find the right one.

Good luck with the search! You won't be disappointed. :)

--G

Go for the newest bike you can afford. For what you're looking to spend, you can pick up a very nice low mile '06 or '07 and get a much better overall package. The bikes you're referring to are overpriced and will only sell to an uninformed buyer. Forget KBB & NADA values. Keep in mind that any extras on bikes are at most, worth $.50 on the dollar probably much less.

The deals are out there, be patient and you'll find the right one.

Good luck with the search! You won't be disappointed. :)

--G
+1 on this one. I'm probably going to get gang banged for this by the Gen1 riders among us but, as long as all the recalls are taken care of, the Gen2 has many refinements that can't be ignored. Ok! I'm going to go duck, cover and hide now!! :ph34r:

What budget? Name the dollar amount. There are amazing deals out there, but if you have a budget...what is it?

You really can't go wrong. We all have our preference, but ANY FJR is better than NO FJR.

Well, I cannot stand it any more. I have to buy a FJR. I have been lurking and learning. I am currently riding a 09' Versys, and I like it, but...Feejer fever has set in. I am selling my Versys(hopefully) to help get the FJR. I have a budget of 6-7K, so the early years for me. I have been lusting over the silver 03' posted on here. I am just scared of buying a bike with miles and no warranty. I know about the tickers, leg cookers,etc. But with my budget what would you guys look for?

I mean should I look at a 06' with lots of miles to get into a 2nd gen bike. Stay in budget and find a good 03? 04? 05?

I need help from the pros, who know and ride this great machine. I am scared to buy because me trying to fix a cam chain tensioner scares me. The heat issue I can handle or fix. Even say a good deal, but front ABS worked, rear did not?

I am in West TN and want a FJR for comfortable riding for me and the wife sometimes. I will commute 28 miles daily on it and ride when I can. I rode all winter when roads where good. I am ATGAT rider. I just think the FJR is a better fit for me than a Connie or Z1000.

Thanks for any tips, ideas, etc.
Hate to set the bar too low, but I lucked out when joining the FJR club. I bought my '08 in January of '11 for $7000, with only 7k miles on it - it was bone stock and in nearly new condition with the only immediate extra cost being new tires. It was the dead of winter, the PO wanted to get out from under the payments, and the economy was looking pretty lame. Since then I've added several $K into it (I think everyone does) and its a much better ride but even stock its good. The economy has improved and prices go up when the sun starts popping out, but I think its feasible to get a low mileage, late model FJR at the upper end of the range you listed if you're patient and keep looking.

When I was shopping for one in the middle of the dead season my rule of thumb was 05' for 5K, 06 for 6K, 07 for 7K. Obviously mileage, condition and accessories have some say in the price, but in general that was my guideline.

I found out that Gen2 were priced more competitively then Gen1, so I eventually excluded Gen1 from my search. Took me about 30-45 days to find one through craiglist. I think 06-07 have the best value to $ ratio.

Make a list(year/mileage/accessories/maintenance/tires/abs/location/etc) of all the bikes on the market that you are interested in and see which one stands out, otherwise they all get mixed up. Good ones sell very fast so be ready to jump!!

Here's another take on getting the best deal possible. You can miss some very good bikes holding out for the best price to come along.

You can miss out on months of riding an FJR. If you have enough vacation time to travel long distances to get a bike you can possibly

find a better deal. Then again you may travel that far and the bike is really not that special when you get there. If the bikes in your area

are selling for a little more than other areas then this may still be true when you sell it. I personally have passed up some reasonable deals

waiting for the absolute best deal only to kick myself later. Use the forums and ebay to get an idea of prices. Remember the seller has something you want.

Just because one seller dumps his bike at a low ball price doesn't mean they all will. Always try to negotiate a better price but don't let

your ego get involved. While patience has it's place in life, it can also keep you on the sidelines. Is a few hundred bucks going to change

what is happening in your life a few years down the road? Okay I'm getting down from the soap box now. Good Luck. The FJR is a great bike.

Here's another take on getting the best deal possible. You can miss some very good bikes holding out for the best price to come along.

You can miss out on months of riding an FJR. If you have enough vacation time to travel long distances to get a bike you can possibly

find a better deal. Then again you may travel that far and the bike is really not that special when you get there. If the bikes in your area

are selling for a little more than other areas then this may still be true when you sell it. I personally have passed up some reasonable deals

waiting for the absolute best deal only to kick myself later. Use the forums and ebay to get an idea of prices. Remember the seller has something you want.

Just because one seller dumps his bike at a low ball price doesn't mean they all will. Always try to negotiate a better price but don't let

your ego get involved. While patience has it's place in life, it can also keep you on the sidelines. Is a few hundred bucks going to change

what is happening in your life a few years down the road? Okay I'm getting down from the soap box now. Good Luck. The FJR is a great bike.
This is a Most Excellent Post! Just the Fact that you will have an FJR until your Butt is worth a slight Premium. It'll be worth every penny, Trust Me! :assassin:

Great post Z

I can travel or do a fly and ride. I have friends that ride that will do a road trip with me to get a FJR. I really need to stay around bank loan value so I DO not dip into savings to keep the wife happy. I can sell guns, night vision, one of my EU3000 Honda's etc, to get more cash for a sweet deal if needed. The wife is going to ride tomorrow again on the Versys just to make sure she still enjoys riding, because one of the main reasons of getting the FJR is so the wife can be more comfortable and I can have a somewhat sporty bike as well. She is very tight with money, but after riding on the Versys she got her own Jacket,pants(with CE protection), gloves,etc. She even bought "us" scala rider Q2 sets so we can talk while riding.

I am scared of buying a bike and they the motor blowing and I am stuck. But from lurking I see the motor is good.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I, personally would hold out for a BLUE one. O5 or 06 should fit that bill pretty well. But that is just me. :)

Don't write off the Gen 1 bikes,Terry. I'd recommend one with the optional ABS. The heatfixes well documented on this forum are pretty effective, and I can personally attest to the wonderful blast of cool air provided by my new Baker air wings. CLICKY I've never agreed with buying the newest bike you can afford. In many cases, an older bike is just as reliable as a newer one, with miles being the only real gauge of value and/or maintenance costs. I know, I know, there are are exceptions, but you get my drift. However, an older bike costs less and nobody can deny that: the rule of thumb is 1k per year. Also, beware of unrealistic dreams of great prices based on what one of us paid under different circumstances. This is prime binkin' season and bikes will command a premium price right now. Also, remember that those farkles cost if you do em yourself. If ya know ya want say, an after market seat, sliders and a larger windshield, it's so much better to pay a little more now than do it yourself in the coming months and have to pay a premium for these items (unless you can find em used). Many farkles can't be bought used unless you're willing to wait a year to be the lucky one to grab em when they get posted (I've seen things like sliders and forward mounted pegs sell in minutes on this forum).

So don't waste your money on Gen 2 koolaid. I'd aim for lower miles more than newer bike any day of the week.

Of course it goes with out saying that I ride a Gen 1, a beautiful blue 05 w/ ABS... I just wanted to provide an opinion from the other side of the fence.

Good luck and keep us posted

Gary

darksider #44

... She is very tight with money, ...

.... She even bought "us" scala rider Q2 sets so we can talk while riding.
You are one Lucky Man!

There are great points mentioned above.

In my case when I purchased the FJR... I did not know they existed. So when I was looking for used bikes I went to the place in the Link Listed above in my post where they have about 300-500 bikes on the Floor.

I went there with a budget in mind of 5k (and no more) to look for Connie 1000 or something. Well lo and behold what is sitting beside the Connies & Honda ST100's... a '03 Silver FJR. I go what the heck and sat on it (first mistake), and found it felt soooo comfortable and balanced with sooo many great features but they were asking $9500... well I guess I had to change my goals and raise the bar.

Sure I knew it was priced a little higher than norm (if you could find one availabe at that time), so they worked with me on my '82 Yamaha Seca (about 35k miles on it) and have been Smiling ever since.

Just did not want to squeeze the pricing on a few extra dollars and start a negative Mojo with my new to me, Fun/Freedom Machine.

Before I pulled the trigger, I found this Board was available so good resources were available and was not forced to rely on a dealer.

So yes, I paid a little more, saved time.... resulted in riding a FJR... Priceless.

First off I'd say stay local. U want to ride it before U buy it. It took 1 1/2 yrs for me to find my 09 in 2011. I had just walked away from a Beemer when local dealer called. It was a left over that some body took for a test and dropped. Only had 32 miles, everything was repaired except scratched gear cover. Haven't looked back. If anything I have to admit I like the instrument cluster of the Gen1 over Gen2, but U really can't go wrong with any FJR. There made to do 200k so don't let high mileage deter U. If anything watch out for ones that have been used as dragsters, low miles but rear tires been replaced. Be patient. It will come to U

First off I'd say stay local. U want to ride it before U buy it. It took 1 1/2 yrs for me to find my 09 in 2011. I had just walked away from a Beemer when local dealer called. It was a left over that some body took for a test and dropped. Only had 32 miles, everything was repaired except scratched gear cover. Haven't looked back. If anything I have to admit I like the instrument cluster of the Gen1 over Gen2, but U really can't go wrong with any FJR. There made to do 200k so don't let high mileage deter U. If anything watch out for ones that have been used as dragsters, low miles but rear tires been replaced. Be patient. It will come to U
I want to buy local, but being 80 miles from Memphis and 120 from Nashville its hard to find anything within 2-00 miles one way.

I want to buy local, but being 80 miles from Memphis and 120 from Nashville its hard to find anything within 2-00 miles one way.
Hey Terry there is a clean looking Ugly Blue Gen 1 in Springfield MO. Although I have a Gen 2 knowing what I know now I would not hesitate

to buy a Gen1. Well most Gen1's that bassboat blue takes some getting use to. :glare: The link below takes you to a search for fjr's I used a zip

code that maybe in your general area. Good luck with your search.

Clicky

5Le5K75Fb3Lf3Ic3F1c43abb3da4c41b21e.jpg