Factory trunk issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapshoot

Reaction score
I purchased a 2010 fjr new last year and had a factory top case added to the purchase. I mounted the mount plate and have used the trunk maybe once or twice to add piece of mind and some comfort for my wife on a short ride (30-40 miles). Other than that, the trunk has not been used and I basically only use the bike for transportation to and from work (30 miles round trip). Back to the box.

Yesterday I decided to stretch my legs and take a long ride with some friends. I latched the trunk onto the mount and loaded it with a pair of sneakers, a base ball cap, and an extra pair of riding gloves. No problems for the first 250 miles. About 150 miles from home, on I40 west, a car passes me and tells me I lost my trunk. Sure enough, its gone. I go back about a mile and find it scuffed, cracked top, but still locked closed and the latch in the locked position.

I removed the contents and remounted the trunk to the base so I could show the dealer. We visually inspected the rear securing bracket as well as the front latch to make sure it was secured properly. We even pulled on the trunk to make sure it was on there good. Well, it didn't make it 5 miles. Hit a little dip in the road and off it came again.

Stealership said they would call YAMAHA Tuesday and see what if any could be done. This was a new model trunk with the metal plate on the bottom

Anyone else experience this?

I actually switched from a givi trunk to the OEM trunk for the same thing that just happened to you. My givi trunk came of the back of my bike twice. The second time I didn't know it until I made a rest stop. I lost some gloves,heated vest and some other items. I was pissed. So I have been using the Yamaha trunk now for a couple years with no issues. I like that I can see the latch part locked into the mounting plate so I know it shouldn't come off. I can even imagine how the oem trunk can come off if it is locked on correctly.

So now we have reports of Givi and Yamaha trunks flying off. The only solution is a clevis pin.

Givi%202.jpg

Givi%203.jpg

Or maybe epoxy if you've never going to take the truck off.

The point is, you shouldn't have to modify a factory product designed to work properly. I am hoping Yamaha will stand behind their product but im not holding my breath.

Ease up dude..First of all I'm certain Yamaha is going to fix what's wrong this shit just takes time.

Secondly it may be one of these rare failures that pop up from time to time, this is actually the second or third topcase I've read of falling off.

Unwind yer undies...

No undies wound. Just going on past experience.

Called the dealer and Yamaha direct today. Both said " no trunk, no help". Didn't matter that I was 150 miles from home and no way to keep it secured to the bike. Guess I'll make another 400 mile trip with hopes of finding something and hoping they will do something about it.

Again, im not holding my breath.

Update:

Made the trip back and found the top lid and the handle ,latch, lock assembly. Dropped it off at the dealer and let them work their magic. They were very suprized to see me walk in with the parts. A couple hours later I got a call stating that Yamaha was going to warranty it and that I should have a new one in a week or so. It was a headache but I am glad that they are going to back their product.