Tiny Screws Popped Out of my Side Bag Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loc-tite is a solvent and solvents attack polycarbonate plastic and causes cracking. Bad stuff.

"The stress-cracking of polycarbonate by a gaseous or liquid agent results from the diffusion of this agent into the polymer. The low molecular weight polymer fractions and the chain ends within the bulk of the polymer become more ordered during the diffusion and swelling process by their partial solubility in the crazing agent, causing crystallization. The creation of interfaces at areas of order-disorder causes high shearing forces at this boundary and voids within the bulk of the polymer. These voids are then propagated as crazes or cracks at stresses much lower than the tensile strength of the polymer. Therefore, a stress-cracking agent need not diffuse rapidly, but must be an effective environment for swelling and/or crystallization. Data from diffusion, density, thermal and molecular analyses are presented to support this mechanism."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pen.760110202/abstract
Wow! Hanging around this Forum is making me smarter by the day! Thanks PanAmerican! :)

So, I'm standing in my garage, drinking a beer, reading this thread, turn around, pop open the latch and find the latch loose, I had checked these screws a while back, so, redoped them with loctite and finished my beer, total time, 5 minutes, another stressful chore completed, my wife fails to recognize all the hard work puttering around involves. Gotta get another cold beer.

FWFE
FWFE, Tell your wife that there's some serious stuff going on here on a daily basis. They have No Clue what all it takes to keep up with all this information! I mean..... Jeeze, it can take several Beers to keep up! :D Women!!! :unsure:

If you strike out at the hardware store, go to your local hobby shop. RC cars use screws that size and they often have stainless steel hardware.
Damn good idea! There's an RC Hobby Shop next door to the place I eat lunch in every day by the airport. I'll hit that first. :D
Phil, thanks for steering me toward the RC Hobby Shop. I hit the jackpot and they had all sorts of tiny screws. I'm all set and both bag locks are good as new! I used SS 3mm x 10 Phillips head. :clapping:

On a side note, I forgot how light and nimble this bike feels without bags! I'll have to do that more often! :lol: Thanks to you All for your replies! :)

ANOTHER HAPPY ENDING :yahoo:
Well.... Almost :rolleyes: . Looks like I used too much Locktite. Some of it must have seeped into where it wasn't supposed to and after letting it dry. I inserted the key and it wouldn't turn. It was Locked!! :lol: Took me a while to work it free. All is Good Now But, Lesson Learned! :)