Suspension Adjustments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexford

Reaction score
Is there anyone in the North Dallas area (I live in The Colony) experienced in adjusting the suspension on the FJR to fit the rider? Would you be interested in me buying lunch if you would take the time and adjust my suspension for me? I know nothing about said topic but would like to learn and be willing to compensate for your time. Not rich so please be gentle on the lunch offer... 8~)

Rexford

Is there anyone in the North Dallas area (I live in The Colony) experienced in adjusting the suspension on the FJR to fit the rider? Would you be interested in me buying lunch if you would take the time and adjust my suspension for me? I know nothing about said topic but would like to learn and be willing to compensate for your time. Not rich so please be gentle on the lunch offer... 8~)

Rexford
Check out this post. Very simple to do for even the inexperienced. It is a good starting point for you. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14779

Rexford
Check out this post. Very simple to do for even the inexperienced. It is a good starting point for you. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14779
Thanks to all.....I will start studying. Oh well, no one wants a free lunch.

Rexford

The challenge we face is that we all set suspension for our personal size/riding style/ suspension setup. To get mine set up for me, I rode the same 1 mile stretch of medium-bumpy road back and forth many, many times. I started with all damping turned all the way out to nothing on the front, wrapped a zip tie around the fork just above the seal level to measure how much compression I was getting, and made several runs adjusting one setting at a time. First, preload until I confidently trended away from potential bottoming-out on hard braking or on large bumps. Second, rebound damping to smooth out the pogo stick effect while at highway and at city street speeds. Lastly, compression damping to finish the tuning rough-tune front end setup.

Rear setup.... are you running the stock shock?

Everyone seems to have their own method. I hope that helps you a bit.

I see you have a 2008. When was the fork oil last changed? Before you start the setup process, you may want to do a fork oil flush and change.

worldbound4now