Hellbender & The Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
I finally got to meet & ride with a forum member TwoWhldTerror(Tom) and we realized that we only live 30 min apart. We did a 500+ mile dayride yesterday across four states (GA, TN, NC, SC) and hit Hellbender & Moonshiner 28 as well as the Tail of the Dragon. The weather was beyond superb and the scenery, roads and ride was equal to the task!

https://vimeo.com/40017289

To view the 16min uncut FJR video of "The Dragon" you can view it by clicking Here

The Mountain Route

Both bikes at the Dragon Overlook

OverlookBikes-750px.jpg

Overlook Pano

OverlookPano-1250px.jpg

Fontana Lake Dam Pano

DamValleyPano-1250px.jpg

On top of Fontana Dam looking north

DamOverlook-Bikes-750px.jpg

Fontana Lake Pano

FontanaLakePano-1250px.jpg

The only "Oh Shit!" moment of the ride!

PoliceStop-750px.jpg

"Yes I have a motorcycle endorsement. It's right here can't you read!" :D

PoliceStopII-750px.jpg

Getting ready to ride the Dragon from Deals Gap parking lot.

FJR-DealsGap-750px.jpg

Tom tell's me he's never ridden it before...we're about to change that!

Tom.jpg

Tom tearing up the Dragon!

Action-Tom2.jpg

Here he is again.

Action-Tom1.jpg

A shot from my bike on the Dragon.

Action-Nate1.jpg

Shot from Moonshiner 28 south of Deals Gap.

Action-Nate2.jpg

When we finally got back into N. GA I had to make a pit stop at a local mountain winery.

WineBottles-750px.jpg

This is the real reason why I have a bike with hardbags!!! :yahoo:

ShadCase-WineBottle-750px.jpg

I netted 565 miles for the day and rode from 6:30am to 8:30pm. Yes I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I'm jealous. :closedeyes: The dragon in a day. It was 750 miles for me to get there on my trip and that was slabin. But what great time. :coolsmiley:

Great pics, thanks for sharing !

Did your *Oh Shit* moment result in a performance award or off with a lecture?!? ;)

--G

Great pics, thanks for sharing !

Did your *Oh Shit* moment result in a performance award or off with a lecture?!? ;)

--G
Wondered about that too. Was that an official stoppage, or was he just checking everybody for endorsements and stuff? (If the former, mind saying "why" you had the conversation?) Good vid, though. Thanks.

Thanks for posting up....that day sounds like a lot of fun. I did 500 miles yesterday out to Galena, IL. Unfortunately only about 150 miles of that ride had any curves in it. :D

Looks like a good time! I spent the weekend camped out at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and ran the northern areas all weekend...awesome weather (except Friday night when it was freezing, lol).

Was that an official stoppage, or was he just checking everybody for endorsements and stuff?
Just a planned road block in the middle of a 15mph hair pin curve checking licenses. I said "yes sir" and "no sir" and we showed our ID's an away we rode.
I've come across several of those illegal, discriminatory road blocks (unless they were stopping ALL vehicles, not just those of the two-wheeled variety), and I'm always sure to contact the enforcement agency responsible to express my dissatisfaction. (I'm always cordial to the officer during the actual stoppage, of course)

I will say that it was an amazing ride! Glad I jumped at the opportunity. Nathan (GeorgiaRoller) is smooth on the bike, and definitely knows how to ride, it was nice to ride with someone again that can ride like that and still enjoys taking time to slow down and take some pics and small the proverbial roses.

I must admit to being just a weeee bit sore. LOL

We must have been right behind you guys the whole time. We did the same loop Saturday, but skipped the Dragon itself. 460 miles of awesome roads, great weather and very little traffic

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah , Im jealous!!! but I have been down to that area the last 3 years running and I'll be back there a couple times this year. The pics were awesome, the sky was nice and clear. I used to seeing a haze in the mountains there but Im usually there in there summer months when its hotter. Nice RR thanks for sharing. Just curious, was the road block in TN or ....? I havnt found the cops to be very friendly in TN at all especially if you ride anything that looks like a sport bike!! In fact usually there's one sittin at the dragon overlook.

Bryan

Yah , Im jealous!!! but I have been down to that area the last 3 years running and I'll be back there a couple times this year. The pics were awesome, the sky was nice and clear. I used to seeing a haze in the mountains there but Im usually there in there summer months when its hotter. Nice RR thanks for sharing. Just curious, was the road block in TN or ....? I havnt found the cops to be very friendly in TN at all especially if you ride anything that looks like a sport bike!! In fact usually there's one sittin at the dragon overlook.

Bryan
Dont suppose you went down 129 in the northern part of GA? Man! thats a nice peice of road too! :yahoo:

We must have been right behind you guys the whole time. We did the same loop Saturday, but skipped the Dragon itself. 460 miles of awesome roads, great weather and very little traffic
Well that stinks that we couldn't meet up with you. How many riders did you have in your group?

Just curious, was the road block in TN or ....? I havnt found the cops to be very friendly in TN at all especially if you ride anything that looks like a sport bike!! In fact usually there's one sittin at the dragon overlook.

Dont suppose you went down 129 in the northern part of GA? Man! thats a nice peice of road too! :yahoo:
It was a checkpoint in NC on HWY28 maybe 5 miles south of Deals Gap. He was just checking licenses...he didn't even ask to see proof of insurance. We showed him our license and he looked for the M endorsement then said "Have a good day and ride safe". It was no big deal.

Yes 129 in GA is very nice as well. N. GA has lots of nice motorcycle roads.