CCT install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkin

Reaction score
Thought I'd comment on the CCT install I did today.

THANKS yamafitter for the "how to" thread. And to

everyone on the forum for their input.

The only PITA is the lower bolt. Just follow

yamafitters instructions and it goes ok.

FWIW..the original tensioner was still in good

condition. Bike has 62,000 miles and I changed

it only because it was recommended on this forum.

Thanks again everyone.

FWIW..the original tensioner was still in good

condition. Bike has 62,000 miles and I changed

it only because it was recommended on this forum.
NOT EVERYBODY on this forum recommends changing a perfectly good properly operating CCT! ;)

But it is an excellent resource for performing procedures like these.

NOT EVERYBODY on this forum recommends changing a perfectly good properly operating CCT! ;)
Ditto. In fact, I think a minority of the forum would suggesting changing a CCT unless they had a specific reason to. Seems like a waste of money to me.... ;)

Ditto. In fact, I think a minority of the forum would suggesting changing a CCT unless they had a specific reason to. Seems like a waste of money to me.... ;)

I changed mine at 26000 miles. I orginally thought the same thing. Until I cycled the original cam chain tensioner and noted that it had significantly less force then the new one we were putting in. While it may have been in spec, there was a noticable difference between the two. For $75 it was worth it to me to chalk it up to preventitive maintenance.

I changed mine at 27K miles, and on the bench the old CCT seems just fine. On the bike however, I had abundant noisy chain slap until the bike fully warmed up, especially during any deceleration. That is gone now. For the O.P, the 2003-4 model bikes were the ones that actually (rarely) skipped a tooth or more, and detonated the engine. It's an old story, but it made an impression with me...and R.H.

I hate replacing good parts also. But..I had it sitting

on the shelf for if/when it needed it and I had some time

this past weekend.

This is probably like an oil/tire thread. LOL The only difference

is this thread hasn't been banished to NEPRT...yet.

Thanks anyway...even if "the forum" consensus is still mixed. <smile>

Seems like a waste of money to me.... ;)
Say that to 'Howie.

And Patriot...
And ionbeam.... A GRAND total of THREE FJRs in over 9 years of it being around. Not a huge statistical sample.

And two of the three of those exhibited the warning sign - a noisy cam chain. It was just so early nobody really knew what that meant yet. By all means, if you hear the noise replace the CCT. If no noise, well, then why? Do you change your oil every 1000 miles? Air filter every 3,000 miles? Replace your battery every year no matter what?

But if it makes somebody feel better, go for it. Just don't go around saying everybody NEEDS to do it.