#1 JamesW

JamesW

JamesW

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Can anyone state what advantages an accessory set of pipes has provided? I like a nice sound but would not buy a set just for that. Does it improve performance at all without additional tinkering? I believe the newer bikes with closed loop sensors and FI compensate for the exhaust flow change. Do not know if an 08 FJR has the closed loop emissons sensor set up.

#2 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

No real performance difference. Mostly sound and look. Maybe a little weight, but not enough that you'll notice by performance.

Try the Trooper Mod.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

-John 15:13

#3 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

No real performance difference. Mostly sound and look. Maybe a little weight, but not enough that you'll notice by performance.

Try the Trooper Mod.

+1, and what I was going to say too. The weight difference is significant, but I doubt if almost anybody would really feel it riding. And as far as I'm concerned, the price difference is a hell of a lot more significant than the weight difference. Plus I do love the changed exhaust note after doing my Trooper mod.
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#4 TheZsdad

TheZsdad

Mr. Bill goes for a ride!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Can anyone state what advantages an accessory set of pipes has provided? I like a nice sound but would not buy a set just for that. Does it improve performance at all without additional tinkering? I believe the newer bikes with closed loop sensors and FI compensate for the exhaust flow change. Do not know if an 08 FJR has the closed loop emissons sensor set up.

Assuming you are including slip-ons.

1) Nice sound

2) Look good
3) They weigh less
4) In my case they serve as a garage door opener. My dogs recognize the sound a block
away from home. They tell my wife and she opens the door.;)

Items 1,2 and 3 are enough for me to justify the expense. But I understand it wouldn't be for others.

5042046747_58e57e1211_m.jpgEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngNERDS_12_Icon.jpgEOM2012Signature.pngSWFOG2014_zps29cf405c.jpg

#5 JamesK

JamesK

Got to ride

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

IMHO, shedding around 12lb of dead weight is significant, plus the bike can breath much better, without all that crap found in the OEM pipes. And once you decide to add things like a PowerCommander, better flowing air filter and open up the airbox, it will make a nice difference to the bike's performance, feel and sound. Also, remove all the PAIR crap - just more dead weight. As HaulinAshe previously suggested, continue to run your O2 Sensor to get the best of both worlds, performance and better MPG.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

nafo01a.gif sfo09.gif eom09.gif groundspider.jpgTBAAAD500Logo-Sig3.jpg deerstrike1.gif 200K%2007CLUB.jpg
Member, FJR Assistance Directory

#6 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

4) In my case they serve as a garage door opener. My dogs recognize the sound a block
away from home. They tell my wife and she opens the door.;)

Hell my dogs heard my stock pipes down the half a block away and did the same thing.. The trooper mod gave me another half a block for 12 bucks.
aftermarket pipes are more of a bling thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#7 101stpathfinder

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

[/quote]

Hell my dogs heard my stock pipes down the half a block away and did the same thing.. The trooper mod gave me another half a block for 12 bucks.
aftermarket pipes are more of a bling thing.
[/quote]

Barry- your pipes had the opposite effect at the border crossings... They heard us coming and tried to close all
the lanes down. Butt what was all the sirens blaring for? I've never seen the farmers hustling about trying to get
all the sheep livestock secured in the barns- I still am trying to figure that one out???
Were you there before? AND if so... What the heck happened??? :unsure:

Give me stock pipes - no mods

2005 BMW F650GS, 2005 YAMAHA FJR1300, 2008 YAMAHA FJR1300

ecc405e6-f02f-4d9e-9cde-9dcb9f46f33d_zps7ddb94c6-9ebe-44c9-b59b-6844f476c5d7_zps 200K%2005CLUB.jpg  IBA #472

#8 carlson_mn

carlson_mn

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

My pipes are Carbon Fiber and put off so little heat when warmed up that I can grab them with my hand with no problem. This is a big plus to me as I can throw my jacket over the bike or my helmet on the helmet lock without worrying anything being melted. They sound awesome with the baffles in and are as quiet as stock on the highway. I noticed that the bike revved a bit quicker in the midrange and topend after installing the pipes. I'm sure there's little peak hp gain but there is a slight gain in driveability.

Oh, and they look really nice. Pics don't do justice. I got them for a good deal used on this forum so keep your eyes open. Stock FJR pipes are easily the lightest OEM pipes anywhere but the weight savings is a plus but not significant like other makes/models.

Posted Image
Matt
2008 FJR1300A. Wilbers 640 Rear Shock, raised 5/8". Leo Vince carbon pipes
2004 FJR1300A, Bandit 1200, Honda Sabre V65, Nighthawk 250, Honda CH250

#9 SkooterG

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,126 posts
  • 2004 (Gen I) N. America
  • 2009 A (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Me likey Dale Walker's Holeshots. It's bling, but they sound good and look puuurty.

IBA #327........................ Darksider #52

FJRForum:  No fun allowed here!

FJR#1 - The 'Dirty Ol Whore' - 2004 non-abs - RIP @ 226,400 - Gone, but not forgotton.
FJR#2 - The 'Hula Girl' - 2004 ABS - 147k
FJR#3 - The 'Virgin' - 2004 ABS - 4344 miles, a garage queen
FJR#4 - The Oregon FJR - 2004 ABS - 65k
FJR#5 - The Bastard POS Gen II - 2009A - 68k

FJR#6 - ?????

200K_04CLUB.jpg 100K%2004CLUB.jpg 158771.png

#10 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Barry- your pipes had the opposite effect at the border crossings... They heard us coming and tried to close all
the lanes down. Butt what was all the sirens blaring for? I've never seen the farmers hustling about trying to get
all the sheep livestock secured in the barns- I still am trying to figure that one out???
Were you there before? AND if so... What the heck happened??? :unsure:

Funny how you accuse me of shenanigans ....

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#11 Matt101

Matt101

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • 2004 ABS (Gen I) Euro/Other

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Mainly cosmetic but I've got to admit when I get over 4000rpm and these start to sing it is bloody infectious.

Posted Image

Posted Image