Exhausts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Can anyone state what advantages an accessory set of pipes has provided? I like a nice sound but would not buy a set just for that. Does it improve performance at all without additional tinkering? I believe the newer bikes with closed loop sensors and FI compensate for the exhaust flow change. Do not know if an 08 FJR has the closed loop emissons sensor set up.

No real performance difference. Mostly sound and look. Maybe a little weight, but not enough that you'll notice by performance.

Try the Trooper Mod.

No real performance difference. Mostly sound and look. Maybe a little weight, but not enough that you'll notice by performance.

Try the Trooper Mod.
+1, and what I was going to say too. The weight difference is significant, but I doubt if almost anybody would really feel it riding. And as far as I'm concerned, the price difference is a hell of a lot more significant than the weight difference. Plus I do love the changed exhaust note after doing my Trooper mod.

Can anyone state what advantages an accessory set of pipes has provided? I like a nice sound but would not buy a set just for that. Does it improve performance at all without additional tinkering? I believe the newer bikes with closed loop sensors and FI compensate for the exhaust flow change. Do not know if an 08 FJR has the closed loop emissons sensor set up.
Assuming you are including slip-ons.

1) Nice sound

2) Look good

3) They weigh less

4) In my case they serve as a garage door opener. My dogs recognize the sound a block

away from home. They tell my wife and she opens the door. ;)

Items 1,2 and 3 are enough for me to justify the expense. But I understand it wouldn't be for others.

IMHO, shedding around 12lb of dead weight is significant, plus the bike can breath much better, without all that crap found in the OEM pipes. And once you decide to add things like a PowerCommander, better flowing air filter and open up the airbox, it will make a nice difference to the bike's performance, feel and sound. Also, remove all the PAIR crap - just more dead weight. As HaulinAshe previously suggested, continue to run your O2 Sensor to get the best of both worlds, performance and better MPG.

4) In my case they serve as a garage door opener. My dogs recognize the sound a block

away from home. They tell my wife and she opens the door. ;)
Hell my dogs heard my stock pipes down the half a block away and did the same thing.. The trooper mod gave me another half a block for 12 bucks.

aftermarket pipes are more of a bling thing.

Hell my dogs heard my stock pipes down the half a block away and did the same thing.. The trooper mod gave me another half a block for 12 bucks.

aftermarket pipes are more of a bling thing.

Barry- your pipes had the opposite effect at the border crossings... They heard us coming and tried to close all

the lanes down. Butt what was all the sirens blaring for? I've never seen the farmers hustling about trying to get

all the sheep livestock secured in the barns- I still am trying to figure that one out???

Were you there before? AND if so... What the heck happened??? :unsure:

Give me stock pipes - no mods

Last edited by a moderator:
My pipes are Carbon Fiber and put off so little heat when warmed up that I can grab them with my hand with no problem. This is a big plus to me as I can throw my jacket over the bike or my helmet on the helmet lock without worrying anything being melted. They sound awesome with the baffles in and are as quiet as stock on the highway. I noticed that the bike revved a bit quicker in the midrange and topend after installing the pipes. I'm sure there's little peak hp gain but there is a slight gain in driveability.

Oh, and they look really nice. Pics don't do justice. I got them for a good deal used on this forum so keep your eyes open. Stock FJR pipes are easily the lightest OEM pipes anywhere but the weight savings is a plus but not significant like other makes/models.

DSCN7476.jpg

Barry- your pipes had the opposite effect at the border crossings... They heard us coming and tried to close all

the lanes down. Butt what was all the sirens blaring for? I've never seen the farmers hustling about trying to get

all the sheep livestock secured in the barns- I still am trying to figure that one out???

Were you there before? AND if so... What the heck happened??? :unsure:

Funny how you accuse me of shenanigans ....

Biostop.png

Mainly cosmetic but I've got to admit when I get over 4000rpm and these start to sing it is bloody infectious.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMAG07631.jpg