Changing plugs - how bad did I just F up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Ryder

Reaction score
Was getting ready to do a TBS on my 2006 AE and was changing the plugs prior. On the #2 line I managed to pull the line right out of the top trying to get the cap off. In a desperate effort to see if I could fix it I then disassembled the inside but it looks like I can't readily repair this..... :angry: Here's a pic of what I currently have, does anyone have thoughts of what can be done to fix this at this point?? Thanks! Ergh.....

i-vPf8PXk-M.jpg

Wow, I've never seen the inside of one of these things, thanks :rolleyes:

Many folks have pulled the "wire" off, the fix is pretty straight forward, stick it back into the hole and twist it back on, assuming you can reassemble the innards of that thing.

I'll be a monkeys unkle..... I thought for sure I had torn the wires off the top of that thing and would need to soder / completely replace that harness.... I did what you said and it fired right up. Many, MANY thanks!!!!

:clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing. It's literally made to just be stuck back in. That's how it's originally put together from I could tell. Now... what you did with taking that thing apart... well good luck with that!

I did the same thing. It's literally made to just be stuck back in. That's how it's originally put together from I could tell. Now... what you did with taking that thing apart... well good luck with that!
Was just a flat screwdriver. Fits in the slot of the metal contact piece and simply unscrews. Behind that is what looks like a tiny fuse then a spring. Went all back in just as easy as it came out.

Thanks again for the help everyone, much appreciated!

"what looks like a tiny fuse"

That's a resistor, probably 5K ohms.

You passed up a chance to measure it. :lol:

Apologies for an ignorant question, but what would be the purpose of the resistor in series in this application? I would have thought you would NOT want anything impeding the flow to the plugs :huh:

Apologies for an ignorant question, but what would be the purpose of the resistor in series in this application? I would have thought you would NOT want anything impeding the flow to the plugs :huh:
From the NGK spark plug site:

Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?

A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.

NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.

They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

The resistor is approximately 10K ohms. The spark plug has an internal resistor too. The resistance minimizes electromagnetic noise which might affect the engine computer module, etc,

If you had an AM radio near the bike, you'd know if you didn't have a resistor there. As stated above, it's to subdue RFI (radio frequency interference).