Charger battery through Cigarette lighter jack?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
1.> I was wondering about a 1.5a battery maintainer on my FJR and since the battery is a real PITA to get at ..I was thinking about wiring a Cigarette adapter to the end of my Maintainer. Will it work?

2.> I know they say "Constant voltage charger only" but they are hard to find. What are most of you guys using? (On my Ski Doo's they say the same but have always used a 1.5a maintainer with good results as my gel batteries typically last about 5 seasons).

-Speed

1.> I was wondering about a 1.5a battery maintainer on my FJR and since the battery is a real PITA to get at ..I was thinking about wiring a Cigarette adapter to the end of my Maintainer. Will it work?

2.> I know they say "Constant voltage charger only" but they are hard to find. What are most of you guys using? (On my Ski Doo's they say the same but have always used a 1.5a maintainer with good results as my gel batteries typically last about 5 seasons).

-Speed
I'm not a Gen II guy, but I seem to recall the cig outlet is switched. Meaning it only has power with the key on. If this is the case, it wouldn't charge with the key off either.

Regardless, this isn't a good idea. The wiring and fuse for the cig lighter is pretty light. Most chargers come with a pig tail that you can attach to the battery and plug strait into the charger's cord. From what you describe, you just have a cheap unit, which is fine, but by the time you change the connection on the charger, and add a charger cord to the bike, you're better off just buying a better charger that comes that way.

There are cigarette plugs and Power ports and BMW/John Deere style plugs,, SAE plugs, CO-AX plugs, etc. Cig plugs are not designed to use for power supply, (though it's done anyway), and tend to come out, be loose, have poor connections, etc.

I installed some Powerlet power ports in the right side dash panel of my Gen I. One is switched, the other un-switched and direct to the battery with an inline fuse. I used the un-switched one for charging with a Optimate 3 and put a powerlet plug on the end of one of the cords for that charger. (It has a plug on the end of the cord and comes with different plug in ends to allow alligator clips or others.)

Not sure since I don't really know what a 1.5amp maintainer is. However, the fuse for the cigarette lighter is only a 3amp, and usually blows if someone tries to run a Battery Tender or something like it.

Getting to the battery is not that hard as it only requires a couple screws, a plastic rivit and the top panel. Not really more difficult than taking the seat off of a lot of other bikes. Just add a pig-tail to your battery and do the job right.

I use a Schumaker battery tender bought from WalMart...When I do use one. It was like $20 and I used to have my KLR hooked to it constantly, since it didn't get ridden much. Seems like most here use Batter Tender brand tenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
The better approach is to attach a fused SAE plug with ring connectors to the battery, then if you need an accessory plug, attach it to the SAE connector. Your battery maintainer will also attach at that plug without removing any panels.

41VwHgzEyjL._SS500_.jpg
41rcNwOvVyL._SS500_.jpg

I use this Schumacher XM1-5 1.5amp

41m156Ih2uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and I have the pigtail as you showed but I would rather have a mounted receptacle for the connection rather than a dangling connector that connects into the charger. Is there a pigtail like what is shown but the connection can be dash mountable?

And this charger is OK for the "constant voltage charger" that Yami recommends?

and I have the pigtail as you showed but I would rather have a mounted receptacle for the connection rather than a dangling connector that connects into the charger. Is there a pigtail like what is shown but the connection can be dash mountable?

I think that's exactly what I use. Either that, or mine looks just like it. Red, Green and Yellow indicator lights on the right of the unit?

Mount the first plug type pictured in Tom's post. Route the wire so the plug exits the fairings between the tank and the fairings, just to the right of the forks. You'll see the space and know what I'm talking about. When not in use, it is out of sight, out of mind. When I need it, it's easy to get to without removing anything. Then you can use that same plug for an air compressor also.

battery tender jr. about $25 at Amazon. I have 3 bikes, 3 tenders, the oldest an 05, all still on original batteries and doing fine.

I'm not a Gen II guy, but I seem to recall the cig outlet is switched. Meaning it only has power with the key on. If this is the case, it wouldn't charge with the key off either.

Regardless, this isn't a good idea. The wiring and fuse for the cig lighter is pretty light. Most chargers come with a pig tail that you can attach to the battery and plug strait into the charger's cord. From what you describe, you just have a cheap unit, which is fine, but by the time you change the connection on the charger, and add a charger cord to the bike, you're better off just buying a better charger that comes that way.
I have a GenII and the outlet is switched.

It's not a good idea. Take the three screws out to remove that panel and add what TominCA suggests. That's what I have. Works great. (make sure you get one that has an inline fuse. All *should* but not all do)

battery tender jr. about $25 at Amazon. I have 3 bikes, 3 tenders, the oldest an 05, all still on original batteries and doing fine.
wifgeni.gif

Battery Tender for 5 years and never an issue and it is connected 90% of the time in the garage.

I used a din type plug for connecting to. Runs the Sat-Nav when I'm out and about. Also wired heavy enough for my little compressor.

I have this one also and just wrap the wire around the horn when not in use. :)

I did the aforementioned and have the charger end zip tied up along the cables coming up the steer forks.

Next Q... (sorry I'm a rook;)

I wanna install this 12v meter in the plastic above the battery. What should I go off of that is switched (another words what is on when the ign is turned on)??

3208845062954040_1.jpg