Glove box lid jammed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
My 'glove box' has been getting hard to open so I decided to investigate. After pulling the latch apart and re-assembling it jammed shut and refused to open. I ended up pulling the whole assembly to get a better look at it + to make sure it was working electrically (it is). It seems like the latch is jamming for some reason. I'm wondering if a guide piece has broken off (though I didn't find any broken bits).

Anybody know where I can pick up a used glove box assembly? The latch is part of it and doesn't appear to be repairable.

003-5.jpg

002-3.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Al

I think you are hosed and have to buy an entire glovebox. Someone with more knowledge will come along soon, but that's what I seem to remember. Some have simply bypassed the glovebox mechanism and gone to something like cabinet latches with magnets and stuff.

Good luck.

Yep....Major League Hosed, as in "the wife just caught you jerking off to pictures of Regis Philbin" hosed. Spend the $120 for a new glove box, or tape the suckah shut, like I did. :(

Thanks guys - that's what I figured :(

I've re-assembled it with a discreet black tie-wrap holding it closed (so my non-FJR buddies won't make fun of me).

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the exact opposite problem. My locking mechanism stopped working about a year ago... now, it pops open any time I push the button. I love it. Don't know why the locking mechanism doesn't work, but I'm a happy camper. By the way, for what it's worth, most things like this that don't appear to be repairable... ARE. Here's a possibility: load a little bit of modeling clay in there, close the latch, and see just where it tracks. Maybe a little filing or some epoxy will get you up and running again. However, getting the "lock" to work as opposed to simply getting it to latch closed w/o locking... may be a real challenge. If ya can get it to latch closed w/o locking, would that be good enough?

Gary

darksider #44

Ok you Creative Midgets got me so mad I actually got up off my Ass and walked out to the garage to take a look! And I hate when I have to get up for Anything! :rolleyes:

I opened the lid and In a one second glance I looked at the Real Estate on the surface right around the screw on the aft side of the box. Take all that flat area and cut Velcro to match it.

Do the same thing on the same Real Estate on the lid. The thickness of the two with be perfect for it to shut and retain the waterproof environment. Wipe the area down real well with alcohol so the Sticky will stick well.

And I'll bet you don't even need to Velcro all that area. Some round Velcro patches like the ones that Velcro the Plastic Headlight Protectors in the area with sticky backs on them will do the trick! Jesus!!!

This is Not Rocket Science Guys!! If the Sticky comes loose you can use Super glue. I'm done! Now I'll go back to being a lazy sack of Crap!! And Leave me Alone!! :angry:

I had a keyed lock tumbler for a product display that I stole. Drilled a hole in the lid in the right spot, then cut a groove for the latch mechinism to turn into and presto. Even looks locked.

I think you are hosed and have to buy an entire glovebox new motorcycle.
Fixed.

I've re-assembled it with a discreet black tie-wrap holding it closed (so my non-FJR buddies won't make fun of me).
What makes you think your FJR buddies won't too?

Anyhoo, the box is too little to be useful, too cheesy to be really secure. Do the velcro/magnet/tape.

p.s. A "major" PITA is when you get shingles, or your dog dies, your wife runs off with her hairdresser, Gloria, or they take away your guns or sumpin. This is a "minor" PITA.

What makes you think your FJR buddies won't too?

Anyhoo, the box is too little to be useful, too cheesy to be really secure. Do the velcro/magnet/tape.

p.s. A "major" PITA is when you get shingles, or your dog dies, your wife runs off with her hairdresser, Gloria, or they take away your guns or sumpin. This is a "minor" PITA.
Putting Things in Perspective! :unsure: PRICELESS!! :D

...got me so mad I actually got up off my Ass and walked out to the garage to take a look! And I hate when I have to get up for Anything! :rolleyes:

Now I'll go back to being a lazy sack of Crap!! And Leave me Alone!! :angry:
Magic, you da man. I'm still cackling over that one. And that "Leave me alone" part... was that you or your FJR speaking?

Gary

darksider #44

...got me so mad I actually got up off my Ass and walked out to the garage to take a look! And I hate when I have to get up for Anything! :rolleyes:

Now I'll go back to being a lazy sack of Crap!! And Leave me Alone!! :angry:
Magic, you da man. I'm still cackling over that one. And that "Leave me alone" part... was that you or your FJR speaking?

Gary

darksider #44
20% Me 80% the Bike! I've been riding the shit out of it lately! It needs a break! :rolleyes:

You're all correct - well, most of you. I'll do the magnetic velcro thing.

Actually, I'm considering just keeping the lid - it would make access to the fuses a breeze. Could I then claim it as a 'farkle' or has it been done already. :unsure:

Al

Ya know...... my glove box worked great for 7 years and 225,000 miles on my first FJR. For my current one, I had issues at 60 or 70k miles. I tried the velcro thing, hated it, and bit the bullet and ordered a new one. After much playing with the bad one, I couldn't figure out any way to fix it. Parts of the latching mechanism were just worn. I think because of people 'improperly' trying to forcibly open it without the solenoid activated causing damage, that just gets worse with time and use.