Shad SH50 Installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Jones

Reaction score
After a ridiculous amount of time spent on this board and other websites researching top-cases, I finally decided on the Shad SH-50. I bought it from this obscure site in TX www.classiccruiser.com for $332 (gloss black) less a $10 discount code (SAVEMORE). Shipping was free. No tax. It was the best price I could find at the time.

I ordered the Shad Top-Mount rack adapter (required) from Shad directly because classiccruiser.com didn't offer it. Angie (amaya@shadusa_dot_com) at SHAD was excellent. She saved me 10% because I joined their www.shadusaforum.com site. She also saved me the shipping charges by placing the mounting kit inside the topcase and shipping it all together. :yahoo:

The mounting hardware installs easily in about 30 minutes and feels VERY solid. The top case is so spacious, I love it. I especially like the "keyless" lock allowing you access to the case without the use of the key every time you need something. The gloss black is a 99% perfect match to my 2008 factory paint. :D

I've had the top case on for about 200 miles now and have not behaved as I should, touching triple digit speeds momentarily more than once. I didn't mean to, it just happened. :blushsmiley: Thankfully the top case is still there. I'm going up to the NC/TN border in a couple of weeks to ride the Blue Ridge, Smokey Mtn National and the Dragon. It will be nice to be able to bring all my crap with me. It's like I have an SUV on 2 wheels now.

FJR%20With%20Shad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great and gives me an idea of what it would look like on my 09 (same color I believe). Was the gloss black top an up-charge at all and is that metal or plastic? Any pics of of the bracket and from the rear? Does the bracket use the three stock rack holes with no extra drilling? I know, I know with all the questions... but I am still trying to make up my mind here.

Thanks.

PS: are those Motovation sliders?

That looks great and gives me an idea of what it would look like on my 09 (same color I believe). Was the gloss black top an up-charge at all and is that metal or plastic? Any pics of of the bracket and from the rear? Does the bracket use the three stock rack holes with no extra drilling? I know, I know with all the questions... but I am still trying to make up my mind here.

Thanks.

PS: are those Motovation sliders?
I think the 09 is the same color. The gloss black was included for $332. I could have got Matte Black for like $50 less, but it would have looked like crap. I did notice tonight that the prices have gone up. :blink: Not zesty.

To see the mounting plate check out this site. and yes, no drilling. Based on how it all fits together I have confidence in the strength of the mount. It's really solid.

The entire case is pretty much ABS plastic. It's strong enough though (hopefully).

I don't know what kind of sliders those are. I bought this bike used a year ago from eBay and it had the sliders, MCL highway pegs, bar ends and throttle miester on it already.

Keep the shiny side up. Happy riding.

And it came with the backrest?

Also. You mentioned that you ordered the rack directly from Shad but they shipped it with the case but the case did not come directly from Shad, correct? Did Shad ship it to the retailer and they combined them to you? Just working through the details before I decide to jump.

Also. You mentioned that you ordered the rack directly from Shad but they shipped it with the case but the case did not come directly from Shad, correct? Did Shad ship it to the retailer and they combined them to you? Just working through the details before I decide to jump.
As previously mentioned, the SH50 does come with a back rest installed. Most of these online retailers don't inventory these items, they are drop shipped from Shad in Miami. I coordinated (via Angie) to have the fitment kit put in the top-case for my drop ship. It was a win/win.

I did have to install the gloss black color panel, but it was VERY easy. There are 4 marked spots on the under side of the lid that need to be drilled out with a small bit. Then you put the color panel on top, there are slots so it's lined up perfectly, and secure it with 4 Philips head screws that are provided.

Now I'm starting to look at lighting options for the shad. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though.

As previously mentioned, the SH50 does come with a back rest installed. Most of these online retailers don't inventory these items, they are drop shipped from Shad in Miami. I coordinated (via Angie) to have the fitment kit put in the top-case for my drop ship. It was a win/win.

I did have to install the gloss black color panel, but it was VERY easy. There are 4 marked spots on the under side of the lid that need to be drilled out with a small bit. Then you put the color panel on top, there are slots so it's lined up perfectly, and secure it with 4 Philips head screws that are provided.

Now I'm starting to look at lighting options for the shad. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though.
Thank you again, you make a compelling 'case'...