#1 mrbreeze

mrbreeze

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Bike: 2011 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

My 2011 has about 550 miles on it now. What about the 600 mile service? What's involved? Do I need to pay the dealer to do it?

tia

#2 RossKean

RossKean

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

My 2011 has about 550 miles on it now. What about the 600 mile service? What's involved? Do I need to pay the dealer to do it?

tia

If you have a reliable dealer, I would suggest you get them to do the first service. Not because you couldn't do as good a job but because you want it to be their problem if there are issues related to initial assembly. For instance, some things such as oil pan drain bolts, oil filters etc. may have been tightened by a gorilla in the factory. Stripped oil pan threads are not unknown!

If, on the other hand, you do not have full confidence in the service department at your dealer, do it yourself if you have reasonable wrench-turning skills.

Ross

100K%2007CLUB.jpg

#3 majicmaker

majicmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

tia

If you have a reliable dealer, I would suggest you get them to do the first service. Not because you couldn't do as good a job but because you want it to be their problem if there are issues related to initial assembly. For instance, some things such as oil pan drain bolts, oil filters etc. may have been tightened by a gorilla in the factory. Stripped oil pan threads are not unknown!

If, on the other hand, you do not have full confidence in the service department at your dealer, do it yourself if you have reasonable wrench-turning skills.

Ross

And keep all receipts for legal proof that it was done just in case! ;)
If you're not the lead dog. The view never changes and it always smells like crap!

#4 azitlies

azitlies

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

They say the 1st service is the most important one.

things like:

check pinch bolts on front forks
check caliper bolts
check rotors
check shock bolts
check both axles
check steering head
check clip ons
check triple trees
check all fasteners
check fuel and vapor lines for kinking etc
check mirrors
check levers
check all fluids
check tires for abnormal wear
change oil and filter

etc etc etc

this is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Just some of the things I remember from doing my Versys recently. I don't know that a dealership will do all the things listed in the owners manual and service manual that they are suppose to do. Maybe find out what it would cost first and decide from there?

#5 deang

deang

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Bike: 2012 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Just had my first oil change done over the weekend at the dealer. My thought, since itís brand new, it was important to bring it in to be checked over to make sure everything was tight and looked right. I also had in the back of my mind the stories I have read about the drain plug being too tight and I just didnít want to deal with that headache if it was. My thought, right now, Iíll take it to the dealer for an oil change every other time.
This is one sweet ride!!

2012 Yamaha FJR1300 - Cobalt Blue, the fastest color to roll off Yamaha's FJR assembly line.
1985 Honda V45 Magna
1978 Honda CX500

#6 Geno

Geno

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I had my dealer do my first one, for the same reasons mentioned earlier. They charged me $150, and I rather doubt they did all the things that the manual specifies. I had to argue with them about changing the final drive oil, even though it's clearly called for. If your dealer is anything like mine, they don't get a lot of FJR experience.
'11 FJR - The Silver Bullet
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100 - Sophia (Enormous jugs)

#7 Burnspot

Burnspot

Who Me?

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

It might be a PITA, but I'd have the dealer do the first service for all the reasons RossKean mentioned. Stripped drain pans seem to be popular. Once that first service is done, then cut loose on your own service later on. :D

#8 huron52

huron52

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I had my dealer do my first one, for the same reasons mentioned earlier. They charged me $150, and I rather doubt they did all the things that the manual specifies. I had to argue with them about changing the final drive oil, even though it's clearly called for. If your dealer is anything like mine, they don't get a lot of FJR experience.

Actually what they do OR at least they are suppose to do is change for any bits of metal in any of the fluids.
EOM 2004, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013 KEY WEST 2005, CFO 2005, 2006 CFR 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,2013 NAFO 2008 2010 2012 WCR 2010 SWFOG 2010
Wheaton's Camp out weekend 2010, Extreme ALPS Tour 2012, FODS VI 2013

I got to go somewhere Once smile.png
IBA# 23257

#9 mrbreeze

mrbreeze

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

thanks for all the replies

I think I have a pretty good service department here. They are going to do the work this Friday (the 13th :dribble: )

They quoted me $180.

#10 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I wouldn't argue with having the dealer do this for whatever support they might offer in the event of a warranty service down the road, but personally, I would do it myself. Basically an expensive oil and final drive fluid change. I own torque wrenches, and the FSM, I'm not afraid to use them. After doing service items like valve checks, coolant, plugs, CCT exchange, fork rebuild, steering head and pivot service, the first check seems pretty trivial, and is a low-risk opportunity to get to know the bike better. No harm in doing the service, and if you have any difficulty, put the wrenches down and ask questions or take it to the dealer.

The point about keeping a written checklist and receipts is a very good one. If there is a problem down the road, the burden of proof the bike was maintained according to manufacturer recommendations is yours. For the record, the torque spec on the oil drain bolt is ridiculously high, and you want to use some care with the final drive plug and filler bolts as well.

beestrike.jpg I'm over it.  Let's ride!

#11 Dunk43

Dunk43

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

tia

I did it, easiest oil change I've ever did.

#12 150Fuelie

150Fuelie

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Do it yourself. That way you will know it was done right. I don't trust the 22 year old kid that races on weekends to do 1/2 of what's on the list. If they couldn't install the battery the correct way on my 750 King Quad I don't trust them on something that will be traveling at much higher sustained speeds. But hey, this is just my opinion.