Slider Sizes - OES vs. Motovation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would one of you OES guys mind posting the length of the right slider, from the frame to the end of the slider? The Motovation is 3 9/16". Just curious if they are in fact the same length.

The Motovation sliders for the FJR are actually nylon with aluminum alloy inserts.

The OES sliders are machined from Delrin, with aluminum alloy inserts.

Delrin is much faster and easier (cheaper) to machine than nylon which is one reason why OES can sell their sliders for less. Both are good engineering grade plastics but nylon has certain properties that make it the better choice for a slider. Nylon has higher abrasion and impact resistance, so it will gradually grind down as it slides down the road. From what I read when I researched this 2 yrs ago when I bought my sliders, Delrin is more likely to come apart in chunks if your bike goes down sliding. If it chunks off, it is not going to offer a lot of protection for the side of your bike.

Both will probably be fine if they fall down in your driveway.
Thank You FB1, can you please contact my friend and colleague Mr. HotRodZilla and have him read this well informed statement so his nose can start bleeding? Thank You and Good Night! :)
Ha...The difference between nylon and delrin is neglegible. Just like the aluminum oil filter covers Skooter posted up, a person could make 100 sliders a day with a good lathe. Nylon is cheap, comes in different colors, and can be bought in the spec'd diameter. Delrin is very close, and one's "stand up to a sliding crash" qualities will not show any improvement over the other. Anyone dumb enough to think that two 3" nylon tubes are worth what Motovation charges deserves to have their money taken.

If you want a slider that will not grind down in a crash, go buy aluminum sliders. Of course, they have been known to "grab" the pavement and flip bikes to the other side, causing complete destruction. Neither nylon nor delrin will do much for plastic protection in an actual get off at speed. They are supposed to keep the frame from tweaking, not protect plastic.

Would one of you OES guys mind posting the length of the right slider, from the frame to the end of the slider? The Motovation is 3 9/16". Just curious if they are in fact the same length.
My right side OES is 2-13/16" in length to the frame. They both install without touching the fairing panels.

Wow...sounds like slider material could fall into the NEPRT zone. To each his own. I like my Motovation sliders as much as many people must like their OES, TREX, etc sliders. Personally, I hope to never need to find out how well they work.

Peace. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...sounds like slider material could fall into the NEPRT zone. To each his own. I like my Motovation sliders as much as many people must like their OES, TREX, etc sliders. Personally, I hope to never need to find out how well they work.

Ditto! HotRodZilla Needs to get over his "Slider" Envy! Don't be a Hater! It's an Ugly Trait!! :p

Ditto! HotRodZilla Needs to get over his "Slider" Envy! Don't be a Hater! It's an Ugly Trait!! :p
Haha...You guys have me so jealous, I'm gonna go get me some pink sliders. Those will be more manly...Right?? :dribble:

I had a set of the old T-Rex sliders, but when everyone started having issues with them cracking, I replaced mine with a set of Motovation sliders.
Cracking! :dribble:

When I researched frame sliders, I didn't see anything about the T-Rex ones cracking.

The googles, they do nothing!

I did read about the plastic material, (UHMWPE), and it seemed like a good choice. Wiki sez it is: "...a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made. It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals with exception of oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE. It is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic"

I'll keep my eye on 'em, and replace with something more robust if they show signs of cracking

I've only managed to lay the bike down once, on my lawn so there was no damage whatsoever. It landed on the left slider, probably saving my ankle from a bruise.

Haha...You guys have me so jealous, I'm gonna go get me some pink sliders. Those will be more manly...Right?? :dribble:
Why Yes!....... Yes They Wil! :blum: :close_tema: :bye:

Well, I have had Motovation sliders on my '06 since day-one, and I have never had a problem with them, however, I also have never dropped or slid my FJR down the road so I can not attest to their effectiveness in a crash. Make your choice based on the opinions posted here, and you probably can't go wrong. This forum is a great source of info, with many diverse and often spirited opinions, and that

is what I love about this place. What, you think I haven't learned my lesson after the FZ-1 mirror debate? :) :rolleyes:

My right side OES is 2-13/16" in length to the frame. They both install without touching the fairing panels.

Thank you very much. I thought the Motovation sliders looked longer.

The OES sliders are faster.

And hot chicks are more likely to notice you.

The OES sliders are faster.

And hot chicks are more likely to notice you.
That part right there is true. Girls flag me down all the time and tell me, "Your sliders are Hawt!!"

I hear ya. I just installed by OES Sliders today and as I was riding and this woman took off her shirt and waved it at me as I drove past.

Things like that give Nursing Homes bad reputations.

So boys and girls, there you have it. For the umpteenth time. Except for them sliders being chick magnets and all.

jmdaniel

FJR Squadron Leader

Group:

Members++ Posts:

794 Joined:

20-November 06 Gender:Male Location:Austin, TX Bike: 2007 ABS (N. America)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I had to change a slider out, (don't ask why), and ordered a new right side from OES. They put labels on them now, so I mentioned I needed a new label for the left side, to match the new slider on the right. Everything came as expected, but I noticed they are now machining an inset on the sliders, in order to place this label. I thought crap, even though the label on the left will look close to that on the right, it won't be the same. Oh well, I put the label on, only to find out the second change that had been made; they have now reduced the diameter of the hole the bolt goes into. As I was using my old bolt with my new slider, this caused an issue, as the socket no longer fit into the slider. I contacted OES, who told me they are no longer using hex head bolts, but now use socket head bolts, and this was the reason for the reduced diameter. They apologized, and immediately sent two new bolts.

They came in today, and along with them, a new left side slider, with the machined inset, matching the right side! I wrote to them, thanking them for the free slider, asked them if it was for the left, and got this in response:

"Yes, just to make the kit match up, look better on the bike, and better represent our product. We didn’t charge for the extra slider. Thanks again."

Hat's off to OES, for a quality job in customer service!

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A

2003 Honda VTX 1300S

1986 Honda Shadow 700

I have Motovation sliders because if I spend more they must be better and I believe only the best is half good enough :crazy: but look at this customer service post from last week. OES sounds awesome!

So boys and girls, there you have it. For the umpteenth time.
And I just wanted to know if both sets were the same size. We almost got there. At least we now know that one side is not the. Soon we will get the answer on the other side and all will be duly recorded for future searchers.

And I just wanted to know if both sets were the same size. We almost got there. At least we now know that one side is not the. Soon we will get the answer on the other side and all will be duly recorded for future searchers.
At our age does size really matter?

Why don't you just call Motovation and OES and ask them? Their phone numbers are on their web sites, and the calls woulda taken you 10 minutes.

Why don't you just call Motovation and OES and ask them? Their phone numbers are on their web sites, and the calls woulda taken you 10 minutes.
Very helpful response. Thanks. I'm going to copy and past this reply for every question and issue that gets posted here. That would solve everything. Shut down the forum, we have our answer folks.
Better yet, why don't vendors post the simple specs in the first place.

Call 'em up and ask them, will you please? Should take you about 10 minutes...