Heated Grip Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollar Bill

Reaction score
So I purchased the tape style grip heaters and installed them according to the directions, but I keep blowing the fuse any time I turn them on. Here is the background info:

Tape heaters installed under my new grips. I purchased the kind that does not require shrink tube on the bars so I did not shrink wrap either bar or use electrical tape as I have read some do. I wired the hot wire to the FJR accessory plug in the glove box. I installed an inline fuse. The 3 amp accessory plug fuse blew, I tried a 5 amp fuse and it blew as well. I checked all of the wires for a short of some sort and could not find anything. I also checked the accessory plug, with the grips turned off and it is working. the throttle tube is knurled...does this effect anything? I had read the if the throttle tube has grooves you must file them down. I did not file the knurls smooth.

Any help would be appreciated before I take the damn things off!!

What Marcus said^^^

The accessory plug w/ 3 amp fuse will not support heated grips. Wiring is undersized as well, so don't go installing bigger fuses. Remember electricity runs on smoke, if it gets out nothing works. ;)

Tap into either a accessory fuse block or directly to the battery. Reread the instructions and install the recommended fuse to protect the wiring and such. If it continues to blow the fuse, something else is wrong.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info!...Where would I find the plugs for the factory heated grips? I just purchased the FJR in the Fall and with the Northern Wisconsin early and long winters I have not had a chance to become intimate with the bike...But I am looking forward to it!

I'm about to do a similar install of the Symtec heaters with a Warm-n-Safe Heat-Troller on a new-to-me '04 ABS...

I was surprised to see the Heat-Troller with First Gear branding on it, and it claims to be a new design that pulses the positive instead of ground lead.

So the questions arise:

Can I use the OEM heated grips connector for power to the Heat-Troller and heaters successfully?

Where is that connector and what does it look like?

And where is it's fuse in case of failure?

Thanks in advance for the WotL,

I'm about to do a similar install of the Symtec heaters with a Warm-n-Safe Heat-Troller on a new-to-me '04 ABS...

I was surprised to see the Heat-Troller with First Gear branding on it, and it claims to be a new design that pulses the positive instead of ground lead.

So the questions arise:

Can I use the OEM heated grips connector for power to the Heat-Troller and heaters successfully?

Where is that connector and what does it look like?

And where is it's fuse in case of failure?

Thanks in advance for the WotL,
IIRC, I don't believe that the 2004 had the option of heated grips, hence no connector. On my Gen I, I wired the hot from the battery and used a switched relay from the low beam headlight wire to energize the relay that sends power to the grip switch.

Fjr Tech will help a lot. My I suggest a power strip as well. Fused and good to go! no issues ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, thought the OEM option existed across all models...

The FJR1300.info site is down due to hacking per the Micapeak guys, anyone have those pages cached? Guess I'll wait till they're back up to do the install, they had some good tips on wire routing/strain relief...

Hmmm, thought the OEM option existed across all models...

The FJR1300.info site is down due to hacking per the Micapeak guys, anyone have those pages cached? Guess I'll wait till they're back up to do the install, they had some good tips on wire routing/strain relief...
Nope.... '06 and up have the plug in.