Moving to the East Coast (job offer) Need info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Greetings,

Well opportunity with my same company presented itself for heavy consideration....all but signed on the dotted line.

Been here in Texas for the duration, and would like to know what to expect from the Northeast...besides cold weather.

Area/Region I would be covering is Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia and North Carolina.

Looking to live near/in Fairfax,Co. as the bulk of my units would be in VA & MD and only 2 in North Carolina.

Will do a lot of traveling between the states.

What is the skinny on Vehicle registration?

For instance in TX, for my FJR I pay about $43.00 annually and $58.00 for my RX300.

Will probably buy a new car to do all the traveling in though...so what will that run me a year...midsize sedan?

Will probably live in an apartment or rent a basement before moving family out there, how does those run?

I'd probably be a easy-money tenant, since I will be traveling the east, and back to TX mostly for about a year.

Which is the best way to commute around that metro-area (MD,DC,VA) Motorcyle or midsized car?

Pro's / Cons...appreciate any and all input. I never saw this offer coming, so still wrapping my head around it.

Well it ain't like Texas! Everything will be different, food, climate, driving (you may just sell the bike rather then deal with the traffic). But you will be near a whole lot of history, art, museums, and culture not available to you in Tx. I lived near Washington DC in VA and loved all the historical sites in the area. And visiting NYC, and the upper NE coast for the food and fun. Enjoy!

We don't needs no more Texicans tellin' us about where they're FROM so just stay there.

What? You prefer "Welcome to the neighborhood?"

:p

Seriously, you are moving into a nice area with a LOT of features and benefits that do come with higher expenses. You can ride most of the year, with a few snows in the winter and more rain than TX gets in the summer. Typical summer wx is 80-90F with 30% chance of rain and pop-up afternoon thunderstorms. We don't need to go far for some great roads, camping, etc. Beaches are about 3.5 hours east, hills to the west are cooler and close. Lots of FJRs in the area.

I'd live on whichever side of the Potomac has more of whatever you're doing, as the beltway bridge can be a bitch at rush. There's a LOT of construction at the beltway/66 area, which is seems to be past the worst, so you may luck out on that. The trick to getting around the DC beltway is timing, listening to WTOP news radio, and watching TRAFFICLAND.COM.

I can't personally relate VA vehicle taxes since moving back to Maryland years ago. VA has a personal property tax on vehicles, so brand new expensive cars can hit you.

Happy to chat about the area so I pm'd you my phone #

Bob

Haven't been to Texas for a good many years but, as I remember it, you're gonna have an adjustment. I've been servicing the D.C./northern VA area for 6+ years now for a local company out of Frederick, MD and still rely on a GPS to get around D.C. Parking is the one of the biggest rackets in D.C., averaging $15-20 a day in the high dollar areas. Metro is a better bet, IMHO, if you don't have to carry tools and parts (as I have to). There are a lot of benefits, though, great riding to the west, south and north, once you get away from the city. If you're into history, most of the eastern battlefields of the Civil War are within an hour or so. The traffic will take so getting used to; at least once a day I have some idiot in his Jag, BMW, whatever try to play chicken with the 8000+ lb. F350 I drive. As much as I love to ride, I wouldn't use a bike to commute into D.C. unless I could arrange my hours to be non rush hour. Can't say how VA registration expenses go, but MD hits me up for $157 for my car (2 years) and $97 for each bike (2 years also), IIRC. Living expenses will likely be higher the closer you are to the city; there are a lot commuting to the D.C. area from WV, PA, Hagerstown areas. If you're sold on VA, you might want to look into the Leesburg/Herndon areas- if your company will pick up the tolls, the Greenway (267) is one of the better commuter arteries into D.C. and most of the Fairfax, McLean, Vienna areas are easy to access from it. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Traffic in, through, and around the DC area sucks and housing prices are stupid. I-95 throughout your region can become a nightmare anytime.

But, really, that's about it as far downsides go. It's beautiful throughout that region. You can find pretty much anything you'd want in a short ride. Most important: You'll have a whole new love affair with your bike. It was made for this. Head pretty much anywhere into the Appalachians and you'll think, "Oh my God. This is the most fun I've ever had on a bike." So whatever else you do, plan more riding time.

Great area. Fairfax has some of the best schools in the country altough they are getting crowded and now losing funding. If you can live further south, Stafford, Fredericksburg, King George... the lifestyle is a little slower with more house/land for the money. I get in and out of DMV in mins vs hours. Great fishing, camping, roads close by. You can get to the beach or snow sking in a couple of hours.

As far as vehicles and registation, you have to have them inspected once a year as well as emissions testing.

PM me and I'll send a number if you need specific info.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.

Being a newbie to the region, it's important to get as many perspectives as possible.

It's all the great US but still.

My wife rides also, and she is a teacher..so she is all over the school system in the area.

Two sons 13 & 15 will eventually come down with her..later on.

With the bulk of my units being around within a small radius of the capitol, living

a bit south of all the metro would be just fine, not too far from the interstate.

Good to know, not and try and navigate the FJR through all the traffic; I'll save it

for the Carolina unit visits, and Fun time on the great roads.

Still trying to wrap my mind around how close the states are there. Living in Houston,

it's nothing to drive 40-60miles to get around, but there you would cross a couple states.

Having visited NY a couple times and staying in a hotel, I know there is a culture shock

of how small everything is. I will be leaving my spacious home for an efficiency until

I can learn the area. We probably will not buy in the area, because my region will be expanding

soon; so I am told.

Thanks again, look to hear from me regarding the pm's.

You ain't kidding about wrapping your mind around it. I grew up in New England before moving to Florida as a kid and then ultimately to Texas (Got here as fast as I could! :D ) I took the wife for a trip to New England to view the leaves. Planned out my first day...Arrive in Boston, grab a rental car, drive through mass, NH and into Vermont. Visit the town and see the house where I grew up, and then continue through Vermont to our hotel. Plotted it out and that was 3 hours of driving. I can't even make Houston from Dallas in the amount of time it took to navigate three states! It'll bend your mind for certain until you get used to it. My sister used to live in Alexandria and I've visited her a few times. One thing for certain, those east coast cities are all very old and a lot of them have little thought to planning where the roads go as they have been there for an eternity. This means when you try to navigate, throw any logic you have about road navigation out the window and maybe you'll find where you are going! :D

Being from the boring northern plains, take this for what it's worth, which sure isn't much.

I have a younger brother living with his wife and 2 kids in Bethesda. Five years ago, my wife and I flew out for a visit. The traffic (and parking) can be a b*tch, for the above-stated reasons, and it's also good advice (also, as-above) to drive to the nearest Metro station for any venture into the city. What scared me was the price of housing, gas, and groceries. Everything was considerably more expensive than here in the inexpensive midwest. Other than that, lots of cool history, plenty to do, and beautiful geography.

Good luck in your new assignment!

I commute into DC from MD every day on the FJR. 32 miles door to door. I'm near the west coast of the Bay. Everywhere around here is a mess. Being on the bike makes it somewhat bearable. I get to work early and leave around 1530. Usually, its not too bad. One accident anywhere on the east side of the city and it all gets hosed. Seems like Norther VA is more crowded and has worse traffic. But I think the close in VA counties are better than the close in MD counties. As Checks mentioned, VA has personal property tax, not sure how bad it is for a bike.

MD has one-time vehicle inspections when you register it in the state. And most counties have emissions inspections every two years (not bikes), which cost $14. VA has annual inspections, I believe. MD registration for a bike is $97 every two years.

I'll be making the move soon also. The majority of the jobs in my expertise are in the DC area. I lived in Houston for 3 1/2 years and I've ridden in both placed during rush hours. If you can ride on I-10 or 45 during rush hour then you'll find DC isn't any worse. I plan on living as far to the south west as I can reasonably get and expect to commute. That will put me closer to better roads for riding on the weekend. Winchester also isn't a half bad town. I hate the anti-gun stance of both states though.

boo hoo! We'll miss ya! We've been there a number of times, a whole lot better riding than here! Better brush up on your skill sets! Good luck, when are you leaving? In time to miss the summer heat here?

This won't be helpful or to the point, but I can't help thinking about what a GIGANTIC benefit lane splitting or sharing is here in otherwise-screwed up California.

The prospect of heavy traffic and a tough commute just makes me think "motorcycle and nothing but." It's so sweet to move through those ugly traffic jams. In fact, when I come up on a backup in my car, all I can do is look at those wasted empty lanes between the cars and long to be on my bike.

I'm not posting this to crow, really. Just shaking my head and wishing you all could enjoy the same benefit. Maybe you should try starting a petition or something.

I'm not posting this to crow, really. Just shaking my head and wishing you all could enjoy the same benefit. Maybe you should try starting a petition or something.
It's come through Texas once or twice...gets killed each time. My guess is public sentiment is ruined by the guys who lane split illegally and post their videos on Youtube and such. Most don't understand the benefits or how lane splitting is done properly and just figure it's motorcycles flying down between the cars at high speeds.

It's come through Texas once or twice...gets killed each time. My guess is public sentiment is ruined by the guys who lane split illegally and post their videos on Youtube and such. Most don't understand the benefits or how lane splitting is done properly and just figure it's motorcycles flying down between the cars at high speeds.
I think that I remember reading something about AMA trying to get this passed... but always gets squelched.

Good luck in your information quest on Northern VA. I have nothing else to share... except you will be in good reach of good weekend riding.

boo hoo! We'll miss ya! We've been there a number of times, a whole lot better riding than here! Better brush up on your skill sets! Good luck, when are you leaving? In time to miss the summer heat here?

Leave time still pending, could be in the next 2-3 weeks.

So, I will miss the supposedly triple digit heat coming this way.

Although, I won't be taking the FJR for a while, at least that's the plan.

Well, if it's I-10/I-45, then it'll probably be okay.

Good thing is I'll be able to plan my schedule around the traffic.