Big Sur RTE and Cambria Overnight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
What a great weekend! I started out with Erin, CC, and Bill in tow down to Surf City Coffee in Moss Landing where we met up with Brian/FJRonamission and the Hycles, Mike & Terri, as well. Captain Mike and his buddy, Blake, were also supposed to meet us but for some reason didn’t see the bikes in the parking lot and drove right on by… maybe one of them needs new glasses? :unsure:

Anyway, we had a cup of java and window shopped next door…

DSC8491-XL.jpg

Lots of beautiful shells…

DSC8493-XL.jpg

As well as lovely orchids and cala lilies for sale…

DSC8498-XL.jpg

DSC8501-XL.jpg

Gassing up in Carmel, Erin proved that she would fit in well with this group…

DSC8502-XL.jpg

Along Hwy 1, we came across Russ, TominCA, and his buddy, Jaime… Russ was having a good day…

DSC8503-XL.jpg

As many times as I’ve been down the PCH, I never tire of the spectacular views we are blessed to have in such close proximity (Bixby Bridge in the background)…

DSC8509-XL.jpg

We arrived at the Big Sur River Inn and, after a wee bit of confusion and attitude from the front desk crew, were seated for lunch. Some folks had arrived before us and were already chowing down…

DSC8510-XL.jpg

DSC8511-XL.jpg

DSC8512-XL.jpg

DSC8513-XL.jpg

Lunch was over too soon and I didn’t get enough face time with everyone as they scattered to the winds heading back for home or other overnight destinations… absolutely loved seeing everyone!! A group of us continued south on 1, headed for Cambria where we would stay for the evening. It was cool but no rain and the sun came out to greet us as our reward… the color of the ocean was particularly stunning this day… shades of blues and turquoise dazzled the eyes… this is at Julia Pfeiffer State Park which you can see just off the side of the road if you know where to stop…

DSC8516-X2.jpg

We had a tour scheduled at Nitt Witt Ridge so didn’t dawdle much to take photos and such… I did wish I had a rocket launcher to assist the car in front of us who consistently passed every opportunity to use a turnout all the while traveling at underwhelming, and exceedingly frustrating, speeds with no opportunity for passing… we arrived for our tour right on schedule.

I had heard about Nitt Witt Ridge from a friend of mine and had wanted to check it out for some time now but hadn’t had the opportunity until now… a few liked minded folks joined in and we all found it to be quite fascinating. Folks either love it or hate it but the ingenuity/creativity that Arthur exhibited in putting this place together was impressive.

DSC8521-XL.jpg

Johnny80s was really excited to be there…

DSC8520-XL.jpg

DSC8526-XL.jpg

DSC8535-XL.jpg

Erin was enjoying the tour…

DSC8577-XL.jpg

There were toilets just about everywhere…

DSC8524-XL.jpg

DSC8542-XL.jpg

Even one with a killer view…

DSC8562-XL.jpg

And one last toilet for John…

DSC8588-XL.jpg

All kinds of memorabilia and odd/interesting bits in the various parts of the house…

DSC8533-XL.jpg

DSC8539-XL.jpg

DSC8549-XL.jpg

DSC8541-XL.jpg

DSC8564-XL.jpg

The ceilings in the rooms were quite low making John look even taller than he already was…

DSC8531-XL.jpg

Tiffany & Jeremy waiting for the video presentation of the tour…

DSC8536-XL.jpg

Our guide plied us with fun stories and tidbits and beemerdons chimed in with a few as well given he had actually met the man… still some leftovers in the kitchen…

DSC8556-XL.jpg

Up top there were lots of trees and flowers blooming…

DSC8575-XL.jpg

DSC8572-XL.jpg

Before we left, a nice couple offered to snap a group shot of us…

DSC8590-XL.jpg

If you’re ever in the area, I think it’s worth the $10 donation and 45 minutes of your time!

We headed for the hotel to meet up with the others who would be staying the evening… great place, reasonably priced, within walking distance of restaurants, etc.

DSC8643-XL.jpg

The view as you pull into the parking lot…

DSC8592-XL.jpg

The firepit out back got lots of use… it was so nice to have the sun shining down on our faces…

DSC8593-XL.jpg

Gary/Duff amused himself with video of the day’s road antics…

DSC8596-XL.jpg

Joe/MCML and his lovely lady, Valerie

DSC8598-XL.jpg

Erin/Erin – she’s new to this group so be gentle... for awhile! ;)

DSC8600-XL.jpg

Richard/fairlaner – the forum silverback

DSC8602-XL.jpg

Michelle/fjrchik

DSC8603-XL.jpg

Johnny80s

DSC8605-XL.jpg

TomInCA – ask him about the shot glass in his pocket…

DSC8606-XL.jpg

SacMike – he’s got a what in his pocket??

DSC8607-XL.jpg

We dined at Linn’s which was pretty good and then headed back to our firepit for the evening… the stories, quips, zingers, and one liners flew as well as some good adult beverages, courtesy of Joe…

DSC8608-XL.jpg

it was a challenge to keep up with it all but I’m sure everyone will share their favorite one-liner or zinger… ask Gary about his skills… LOL

DSC8618-XL.jpg

Then there was fire dancing…

DSC8614-XL.jpg

It was cold out that evening but Tom seemed to find a way to keep warm…

DSC8612-XL.jpg

DSC8624-XL.jpg

It was a great evening with a whole lotta laughter… just the way I like ‘em…

DSC8620-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awoke the next morning to clear blue skies and the sun shining down on us… headed back to Linn’s for some breakfast…

DSC8631-XL.jpg

I know Niehart would’ve loved this place…

DSC8632-XL.jpg

And then wandered back through town to the hotel to pack up and head out for the day…

DSC8628-XL.jpg

Cambria is a lovely and quaint little town…

DSC8637-XL.jpg

Hey… you two… stay up there!

DSC8633-XL.jpg

We decided to head back up 1 and visit a few other stops along the way… the elephant seals of course…

DSC8647-XL.jpg

DSC8649-XL.jpg

Stand-up comic seals…

DSC8650-XL.jpg

Jonathan Livingston Seagull was not amused…

DSC8656-XL.jpg

Did I mention blue skies and sunshine?

DSC8658-X2.jpg

There is this one section, I believe it’s Pacific Valley, that most times when I go by has this explosion of color that just comes out of nowhere… usually, I’m with a group and we have a schedule to meet so I have been unable to stop… today I had no schedule so I decided to stop and enjoy the visual spectacle…

DSC8664-X2.jpg

DSC8666-X2.jpg

Built in picture frame…

DSC8665-X2.jpg

DSC8669-X2.jpg

Came back to find this elderly gent (have no idea where he materialized from!) staring at the Spyder… when I walked up to him he said, “What the hell is that??” LOL Then he said he’d never want to ride something like that… um, ok, thanks for letting me know… :crazy:

DSC8687-XL.jpg

One last look…

DSC8688-X2.jpg

And then we were back on our way… it was a bit of a slog with more of those slow/clueless drivers and I remembered why I didn’t like to ride Hwy 1 on the weekends… but we made it back without incident and even added in San Jose-Soquel Rd. and Old Santa Cruz Hwy for good measure before slabbing it back to home.

Thanks to Sam for getting this event going and all the cat herding… thanks to everyone for showing up and making it a really wonderful day and weekend… loved seeing some of my favorite peeps and meeting a new few favorites too!

FIN

Bravo Tyler! Your photo skillz truely amaze...well with the exception of the bourbon hazed portraits, :clapping:

I'll have to download my pictures now and see if I can exact some revenge. :assassin:

Hi Tyler,

great ride report! Love seeing other FORUM members and their friends in their natural habitat(restaurant) enjoying each others company. The nature shots were awesome.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Very Nice!!! Great photos. :yahoo:

I recognize a few of those people. Tell Erin I said hey. :clapping:

Nitwitridge reminds me of....Wisconsin Dells....and House on the Rock. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Amazing ride report Tyler, those pictures are the best to date I have seen of the California Coast and Hwy 1! You outdid yourself yet again!
clapping.gif

I am ashamed to look at my pictures after I have seen yours!
unsure.gif

It was great finally meeting you in person Tyler and all the others great people I keep meeting from our forum. No I did not meet you in Monterrey or ever bowl in Monterrey. Sam thanks for putting everything together. Skooter you are an asshole. Remind me to tell you about my ride in the rain in person. Erin PM me your address so I can send you that 10 bucks I owe you. I think you and Tyler make a great couple. :p

Favorite thing about the trip (after Tyler and Erin) was the Ollieberry Jam at Linn's. That stuff is addicting.