Has anyone riden this road?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
Headed to Smokey's soon and saw this road while making up a loop in Google Maps. It looks pretty nice in street veiw. Some of it appears to be very narrow(no stripe). Just looking for some advice whether its a good road or not. Thanks.

GOOGLE MAPS LINK

Furthermore, here are the loops I am planning while out there. Take a look and give me a heads up if I am missing something. Thanks.

Google Maps Day1

Google Maps Day2

Headed to Smokey's soon and saw this road while making up a loop in Google Maps. It looks pretty nice in street veiw. Some of it appears to be very narrow(no stripe). Just looking for some advice whether its a good road or not. Thanks.

GOOGLE MAPS LINK

Furthermore, here are the loops I am planning while out there. Take a look and give me a heads up if I am missing something. Thanks.

Google Maps Day1

Google Maps Day2

32 South of the Tn/NC border looks unpaved according to this . Looks like Sevierville is your base? What time of year? There is much boring road and traffic in your day1 and day2 maps (especially during tourist season) to get to a little great riding. I realize that if you're near GSMNP with moto, you have to do the Dragon and Skyway. Suggestion: Do 129 and 143 the same day. On the other day get over to Hot Springs and head Northeast.

$.02 worth.

32 South of the Tn/NC border looks unpaved according to this . Looks like Sevierville is your base? What time of year? There is much boring road and traffic in your day1 and day2 maps (especially during tourist season) to get to a little great riding. I realize that if you're near GSMNP with moto, you have to do the Dragon and Skyway. Suggestion: Do 129 and 143 the same day. On the other day get over to Hot Springs and head Northeast.

$.02 worth.

Agree with you "1911", I just couldn't imagine it being unpaved, it looks that way on street view also. Thanks for the map. Yes Sevierville is our base. We will be there May 7-10. We have two full(app 300 mile) days to ride, May 8-9. I have two other guys going with me, both on ST1300's. I have been with both on trips, on these bikes. They have never been on roads like these. I have been here twice before and have plenty of experience in the twisty stuff. That is why there is some slab mixed in with some great roads. I am not familiar with "Hot Springs and the Northeast". BTW I had heard Hwy 28 was a good road, but I had never riden it. Any chance I can get a little more info on what to avoid and what to ride? Also is May 7-10 tourist season? Hell, it seems every time I have been there it is "TOURIST" season, ha. Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to the Google maps route, zoom all the way in on 32 then switch to street view it is showing a paved road (at least for the section I looked at).

looks like a sweet road, it is indeed paved in its entirety, and it looks to be in good condition. Just drag the little yellow dude in google on top of any road that is highlighted blue and you can drive it at home....

I had that same hwy32 on my route last Summer but that day ride was a rain out so I didn't get a chance to go down it. But it all looks paved on streetview. I'd def give it a shot.

May 7-10 is perfect! During the week, not on the weekend and school is still in session so no big giant summer vacation crowds. You should be good to go!

Route improvement suggestion: Just before you get to Tellico Plains, TN take HWY 360 north to Vonore, TN instead. Very scenic valley road with lots of terrific sweepers. You'll like it!

The rest of your loop is a can't miss.

Route improvement suggestion: Just East of Townsend, TN take Little River Road (E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy as noted on the Googlemaps...turns into little river rd) and ride along the beautiful river and visit Cades Cove as well which is right off this route.

Also on HWY28 about 7-8 miles south of Deals Gap in NC take the short spur and ride across Fontana Dam which is also a great photo opportunity.

Lastly instead of taking 441 from Dillsboro, NC to Franklin, NC...find Cullowhee, NC just over on hwy 107 (just SE of Dillsboro) and take "Tilly Creek Rd / Ellijay Rd" from 107 to 28 as a cut through. Terrific scenic road...no traffic...valley & then twisty section as well.

Those are my suggestions. Other than that you'll def like both of these routes you've set up. You've done good. Let me know if you can't figure out these suggestions and I'll be glad to help.

I was just down there, March 20-24, while I was home on R&R. I generally go down there a few times a year with guys, and gals, from Ky Twisted and Kentucky Sport-Bikes.

Are you slabbing it on I-40 across TN? If not and if you have the time take KY 80 from Bowling Green across the the state and pick up US 421 in Manchester, KY. Stay on US 421 all the way till Mountain City, TN. This will take you thru Shady Valley and over "The Snake". In Mountain City pickup TN 67. TN 67 turns into US 321 and 321 takes you all the way into Gatlinburg or you can switch over to US 411 straight into Sevierville.

TN 32 from Cosby, TN south for 12 miles is paved. It is a great asphalt road, however at the NC line is does indeed become gravel and is a relatively steep descent into Maggie Valley, NC. In my opinion the TN asphalt side is a must ride spur, but you will need to turn around at the gravel and ride back north to Cosby. Pavement is smooth, tight and twisty, and two way traffic can pass.

For any dual sporters out there, the gravel portion is much longer down to Maggie Valley, NC and is a great road. Cars can travel this portion of the road, but as stated some turns are tight switchbacks and it is fair descent going south.

There is a narrow pull off about half way down the gravel road which is known as buzzard's roost. It is unidentified other than a handkerchief tied high in a tree. Park there and take a hand over hand rope down a steep bank on foot and walk out onto a rock cropping that all but hangs out over Interstate I 40 in NC. There are a few saplings growing out of the rock to hang onto, and believe me you will get a tight grasp. I have seen strong men grow weak in the knees here, but it is way worth it.

TN 32 from Cosby, TN south for 12 miles is paved. It is a great asphalt road, however at the NC line is does indeed become gravel and is a relatively steep descent into Maggie Valley, NC. In my opinion the TN asphalt side is a must ride spur, but you will need to turn around at the gravel and ride back north to Cosby. Pavement is smooth, tight and twisty, and two way traffic can pass.

For any dual sporters out there, the gravel portion is much longer down to Maggie Valley, NC and is a great road. Cars can travel this portion of the road, but as stated some turns are tight switchbacks and it is fair descent going south.

There is a narrow pull off about half way down the gravel road which is known as buzzard's roost. It is unidentified other than a handkerchief tied high in a tree. Park there and take a hand over hand rope down a steep bank on foot and walk out onto a rock cropping that all but hangs out over Interstate I 40 in NC. There are a few saplings growing out of the rock to hang onto, and believe me you will get a tight grasp. I have seen strong men grow weak in the knees here, but it is way worth it.

I and my pals have riden that road since 1996. we do not tell others about it since once it gets on the net it turns into another road you can't ride due to the posers.

Indeed I do not offer all roads for public consumption. I do, however, reply to a fellow forum rider's specific request for info. Actually with the short segment of pavement, and the absence of a gathering place for the posers, I do not think this road is likely to become the next national attraction. Maybe for a passle of RZ 350's. Most bikes today would not enjoy it at full tilt. It is tight and narrow.

I had that same hwy32 on my route last Summer but that day ride was a rain out so I didn't get a chance to go down it. But it all looks paved on streetview. I'd def give it a shot.

May 7-10 is perfect! During the week, not on the weekend and school is still in session so no big giant summer vacation crowds. You should be good to go!

Route improvement suggestion: Just before you get to Tellico Plains, TN take HWY 360 north to Vonore, TN instead. Very scenic valley road with lots of terrific sweepers. You'll like it!

The rest of your loop is a can't miss.

Route improvement suggestion: Just East of Townsend, TN take Little River Road (E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy as noted on the Googlemaps...turns into little river rd) and ride along the beautiful river and visit Cades Cove as well which is right off this route.

Also on HWY28 about 7-8 miles south of Deals Gap in NC take the short spur and ride across Fontana Dam which is also a great photo opportunity.

Lastly instead of taking 441 from Dillsboro, NC to Franklin, NC...find Cullowhee, NC just over on hwy 107 (just SE of Dillsboro) and take "Tilly Creek Rd / Ellijay Rd" from 107 to 28 as a cut through. Terrific scenic road...no traffic...valley & then twisty section as well.

Those are my suggestions. Other than that you'll def like both of these routes you've set up. You've done good. Let me know if you can't figure out these suggestions and I'll be glad to help.
These are outstanding suggestions and plan to alter my routes to include these. THANK YOU.

I was just down there, March 20-24, while I was home on R&R. I generally go down there a few times a year with guys, and gals, from Ky Twisted and Kentucky Sport-Bikes.

Are you slabbing it on I-40 across TN? If not and if you have the time take KY 80 from Bowling Green across the the state and pick up US 421 in Manchester, KY. Stay on US 421 all the way till Mountain City, TN. This will take you thru Shady Valley and over "The Snake". In Mountain City pickup TN 67. TN 67 turns into US 321 and 321 takes you all the way into Gatlinburg or you can switch over to US 411 straight into Sevierville.
Yes we are slabbing from Western KY to Sevierville, manly because of time constraints. I would have added a couple extra days to this trip, as its hard to enjoy this area in just 2 days. The other two guys have obligations so we are stuck on these days :angry: . I looked into Hwy 421 and all I can say is WOW :yahoo: , Id love to ride that out one day. Usually when I ride to E KY I try to use Hwy 100 starting in Russellville. Thats a better motorcycle road than Hwy 80. Thanks so much from the input though. Also, THANK YOU, for serving this great country. As a veteran is does me great honor to THANK YOU! :clapping:

I and my pals have riden that road since 1996. we do not tell others about it since once it gets on the net it turns into another road you can't ride due to the posers.

Indeed I do not offer all roads for public consumption. I do, however, reply to a fellow forum rider's specific request for info. Actually with the short segment of pavement, and the absence of a gathering place for the posers, I do not think this road is likely to become the next national attraction. Maybe for a passle of RZ 350's. Most bikes today would not enjoy it at full tilt. It is tight and narrow.
Thanks for the heads up on Hwy 32. I ride my FJR on a lonnng gravel driveway and have also climbed Mt. Washington on it two up :assassin: . Is the gravel section easily do-able going up the mountain? We will be riding Hwy 32 North from I-40 toward Cosby. Ill have to look and see how long the gravel section is. It may not be worth it to trying and ride it thru. No doubt we will be riding the paved section though. Glad I stumbled onto yalls secret! :yahoo:

EDIT: It appears that Waterville Road is paved. That would make the unpaved section of Hwy 32 only 1.2miles. The distance doesnt sound like a problem. Waiting on your advice...

Yes we are slabbing from Western KY to Sevierville, manly because of time constraints. I would have added a couple extra days to this trip, as its hard to enjoy this area in just 2 days. The other two guys have obligations so we are stuck on these days :angry: . I looked into Hwy 421 and all I can say is WOW :yahoo: , Id love to ride that out one day. Usually when I ride to E KY I try to use Hwy 100 starting in Russellville. Thats a better motorcycle road than Hwy 80. Thanks so much from the input though. Also, THANK YOU, for serving this great country. As a veteran is does me great honor to THANK YOU! :clapping:
If I get home in August as planned the wife and I plan on attending the Women's Sport Bike Rally in September. We plan on riding 421 starting in Richmond, KY to Mountain City then cut over to the Gap so she can ride the Snake. When I go down there I prefer to spend a week in the area. That gives us an off day from riding after three days of riding. It's nice to have that day of rest.

I have ridden a portion of the unpaved section on my ST1100. Yes, it is rideable. No, it wasn't fun. As mentioned, on a dual-sport... might have been a different story.

On the other hand, the paved portion north of the stateline was terrific. It could have been like "WOWSER" except for the over night storm that left the shady portions damp and well strewn with leaves.

I have ridden a portion of the unpaved section on my ST1100. Yes, it is rideable. No, it wasn't fun. As mentioned, on a dual-sport... might have been a different story.

On the other hand, the paved portion north of the stateline was terrific. It could have been like "WOWSER" except for the over night storm that left the shady portions damp and well strewn with leaves.

This indeed sums it up. Coming from the south, the lower portion is slow going. It is rideable, but bike is jostled by maay river like rock embedded in soft soil. Turns are especially tight. Bottom line is bike is going to be running fan a lot, if not contiuously, and suspension punished some. At about a third way up, things turn to a more open improved gravel road and going up would be easier than down. Bottom line is I have done it several times on my KLR, and I am a decent rider in off road. It could be done on FJR , if dry weather, but I just would not do it to my bike. Besides, at the top, at least a few years ago, the transition from gravel to asphalt was blocked by a very large dirtpile, probably by the state just to prevent goint all the way through on a road bike. Take I 40 up and get off near Cosby and just run out the asphalt TN 32 down and back. You will find that an adventure for sure. Come back another day with a true dual sport for the Carolina side gravel. CC

I need to look this road up next time I'm in that area. It looks awesome!

This indeed sums it up. Coming from the south, the lower portion is slow going. It is rideable, but bike is jostled by maay river like rock embedded in soft soil. Turns are especially tight. Bottom line is bike is going to be running fan a lot, if not contiuously, and suspension punished some. At about a third way up, things turn to a more open improved gravel road and going up would be easier than down. Bottom line is I have done it several times on my KLR, and I am a decent rider in off road. It could be done on FJR , if dry weather, but I just would not do it to my bike. Besides, at the top, at least a few years ago, the transition from gravel to asphalt was blocked by a very large dirtpile, probably by the state just to prevent goint all the way through on a road bike. Take I 40 up and get off near Cosby and just run out the asphalt TN 32 down and back. You will find that an adventure for sure. Come back another day with a true dual sport for the Carolina side gravel. CC
That sucks, I had planned on riding it through. Probably better safe than sorry. At least I will get to ride the paved section twice if I take I-40 on North! :lol:

Been on this road several times over the years tho never on a bike. It is paved from the Big Creek area all the way to Cosby. Very twisty and narrow. Not a road you would likely get up much speed on but it would be a fun ride. Majorbooks

GOOGLE MAPS LINK

Google Maps Day1

Google Maps Day2