Sena SMH10 & GPS Units

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPTuner

Reaction score
I just got my SMH10 installed to listen to my MP3 player(hardwired). I was thinking about adding a gps unit with bluetooth to pair with the SMH10 to provide voice prompts. I've done a little research, & it appears that the Zumo units are the only ones that will pair with the SMH10 to provide turning directions through the helmet speakers? Is this correct?

The best choice would be one of the Garmin Zumo units. The older 550 does not have stereo BT music, but is otherwise a good unit. Both 660 and 665 have stereo BT and the 665 adds satelite capability. Garmin also makes automotive spec units that have stereo BT, but they won't be water and vibration proof. Check the Garmin website for a comparison chart between the different units.

I have the Zumo 660 and the Sena SMH10 headset on my helmet. This setup works very good. My Droid 3 phone automatically syncs with the Zumo when I turn it on and the Sena automatically syncs with the Zumo. No fuss and no muss. I cruise along listening to the built in stereo MP3 player on the Zumo and the music gets paused whenever driving directions or an incoming phone call interrrupt. Incoming calls display caller ID on the Zumo screen and offer the option of answering or ignoring the call. If I answer the call, I have great audio in my helmet and when the call is over the Zumo goes back to the music.

A friend at work went cheap and bought an automotive unit for his bike, but had to constantly cover it with a plastic bag when it rained. He's since bought a sealed box to keep it out of the rain, but touch screen access doesn't work as well. Just today he told me that his MP3 player won't resume play after talking on the intercom with his wife. But it was much cheaper than my 660, so you gotta figure whether extra hassle is important to you. And who knows if it will last as long as mine in the tough bike environment?

I have a 665 and SMH10 and love it, except the fact that the Zumo kills the hell out of $800. In fairness, you do get a XM antenna as well as the motorcycle mount with Ram ball, as well as a car mount. Those 3 items alone can cost $400, so the GPS itself is a bit under $400. What you do get, though, is a robust GPS built for motorcycle duty, built-in MP3 storage with micro SD card slot, interface with your phone and iPod, and XM Satellite radio and weather/traffic if you subscribe. If that ain't enough for you, get a Wing! :rolleyes:

I have the SMH10 and the Nuvi 765t it syncs fine with it.

The Nuvi will also sync with my phone via bluetooth.

I have not tried routing the phone though the nuvi then to the Sena.

I am NOT able to sync with two "Media" devices at once. I can sync with phone and the Nuvi, but I cannot play music via my phone while connected to the Nuvi, but this Nuvi also plays MP3's so it all works out.

I have Zumo 550. It syncs with the Sena SMH10 as a "selective phone pairing" (i.e. using the HFP protocol).

I also pair the Zumo with my phone, also using the HFP. Then I pair the Sena with the phone using the "selective phone pairing" i.e. AD2P so I can listen to music in stereo (the Zumo 550 does not have stereo BT / AD2P).

This works very well. All phone interactions are with the glove-friendly Zumo. Pausing, resuming, FF and RW over AVRCP works correctly from the Zumo to the phone. When the GPS has to give directions or do phone stuff, the Sena will pause the media device (i.e. phone's mp3-player). I can use the Zumo's MP3 player as well, but it is in mono. Good for books on tape. Or, I can hardware it ... and get stereo. But that's a wire ... which I avoid ;-)

It's a great solution - the best I've seen yet. Many here swear by the Autocomm, and it has its strengths, but the high cost and extensive installation process (compared the Sena) makes the Sena a no-brainer.

I have Zumo 550. It syncs with the Sena SMH10 as a "selective phone pairing" (i.e. using the HFP protocol).

I also pair the Zumo with my phone, also using the HFP. Then I pair the Sena with the phone using the "selective phone pairing" i.e. AD2P so I can listen to music in stereo (the Zumo 550 does not have stereo BT / AD2P).

This works very well. All phone interactions are with the glove-friendly Zumo. Pausing, resuming, FF and RW over AVRCP works correctly from the Zumo to the phone. When the GPS has to give directions or do phone stuff, the Sena will pause the media device (i.e. phone's mp3-player). I can use the Zumo's MP3 player as well, but it is in mono. Good for books on tape. Or, I can hardware it ... and get stereo. But that's a wire ... which I avoid ;-)

It's a great solution - the best I've seen yet. Many here swear by the Autocomm, and it has its strengths, but the high cost and extensive installation process (compared the Sena) makes the Sena a no-brainer.

ah, if only the iphone had HFP. But alas it dont.

Sena sync's fine with my 2820. No problemo. Now if only I could get the bitch to stop lying just so she can say RECALCULATING over and over.

ah, if only the iphone had HFP. But alas it dont.
The iPhone has HFP and A2DP, but it's not selective. The new firmware for the SMH10 now allows the unit to pair to and be active with 2 HFP profile devices simultaneously. (DISCLAIMER: I don't have the upgradeable unit at this time, so haven't tested this configuration). This was done since the iPhone isn't selective like Android phones, and allows for a device like a Zumo or SR10 to be active with the iPhone.

The iPhone has HFP and A2DP, but it's not selective. The new firmware for the SMH10 now allows the unit to pair to and be active with 2 HFP profile devices simultaneously. (DISCLAIMER: I don't have the upgradeable unit at this time, so haven't tested this configuration). This was done since the iPhone isn't selective like Android phones, and allows for a device like a Zumo or SR10 to be active with the iPhone.

What does this mean? I would love to stream pandora from the iphone to the headset and also hear the 665. As the 665 is A2DP and the phoen is A2DP, I didnt think it was possible.

What does this mean? I would love to stream pandora from the iphone to the headset and also hear the 665. As the 665 is A2DP and the phoen is A2DP, I didnt think it was possible.
Not having a Zumo 665 either, I'm not sure. I do know that if I have Pandora up and running on my iPhone, the Sena interacts with that app, rather than the music app. Can you pair your iPhone to the Zumo, stream Pandora, and have the Zumo paired to the Sena?

I have the Zumo 660, an iPhone 4 and Valentine V1 plus the Sena SMH10 (upgradeable model). I wanted to do multi-point pairing but since the iPhone and 660 were using A2DP I had to purchase a Sena SR10. My setup now is: iphone to SMH10 using A2DP + HFP, then 660 and V1 to SR10 (both hardwired) and SR10 to SMH10 via HFP. This does make the 660 mono whereas before it was stereo, but I like the sound of the iphone better than the Zumo anyway. It's my understanding that the version 4.0 firmware update on the SMH10 allows multi-point HFP profiles but not multiple A2DP profiles.

Everything works great, listening to tunes, then Garmin chick talks and V1 beeps in as needed. I didn't plan on spending an extra $150 for the SR10 but now that I have it and I'm happy with it. The only downside is I don't have caller id and can't use the POI info on the Zumo to place calls but I don't think I would use that often.

I would love to be able to plan routes on the garmin app for the iphone, then I could take the 660 out of the loop. I'd still have to figure out a way to get the V1 into the helmet though and I'm not a fan of the visual indicators as a primary alert.

Sena sync's fine with my 2820. No problemo. Now if only I could get the bitch to stop lying just so she can say RECALCULATING over and over.
You can set the automatic re-route option to silent, to stop ever hearing "RECALCULATING" ever again.

The Zumo BT units are the best option for anyone riding in the wet, but the O.P. is in a dry area. The Nuvi 765T would work at a bargain price if you want to go that alternative. I also am a fan of the Streetpilot 2820..

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zumo BT units are the best option for anyone riding in the wet, but the O.P. is in a dry area. The Nuvi 765T would work at a bargain price if you want to go that alternative. I also am a fan of the Streetpilot 2820..

Yeah, we're lucky if it rains here twice a month in the summer. I'm looking at the 765ts right now.

FWIW, I had an email discussion with Garmin regarding the AD2P capabilities of the Zumo 665. They said it can act as a "passthrough" device, meaning, you can pair your ad2p phone to the 665, then 665 to Sena, and Sena will get ad2p via the zumo. Not sure if avrcp will be passed through, but I suspect it would.

In other words, with the zumo 665, you could pair the iphone and zumo using both ad2p and hfp, then sena and zumo with both ad2p and hfp. BUt I haven't tried this, because a) I have a zumo 550 and B) I prefer Android over iPhone and thus can separate hfp/ad2p pairing.