Windshield Won't Retract

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBill

Reaction score
Dear Forum Mechanical People,

Yesterday, after an uneventful ride, the windshield on my faithful '05 failed to retract after I turned off the ignition. The switch works just fine, but now the windshield just stays wherever it was when I turned the ignition off. The problem has persisted and is not intermittent...at least not for the past 24 hours.

I know lots of us like the windshield to work this way, but I like to keep the old gal operating as near to stock as practical.

The Google search about this topic showed the last time it came up was back in '09. There were many good suggestions, but no solution. Going over the possibilities...

The fuses and the connections to the windshield motor were all OK. There are no issues with the neutral light and the clock/odometer reads as it is supposed to read. While I had the ABCD panels off, I lubed the windshield mechanism hinges with lithium lube. Actually, the panels are still off awaiting a solution before I button her back up and accept it as just one of those issues that go with age.

I even ran the windshield up and down with my hand on the motor to see if it heated up. It stayed cool.

Still no change.

'Hoping someone figured this out and just didn't post it. Heck, I really don't even mind if it stays this way, as long as the windshield motor doesn't fail.

Also hoping I can get away with posting this on a Friday, WBill

I have removed the jumper to prevent mine from retracting when shut-down. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to see how the windshield is powered when the ignition is turned off, but the answer to your question is going to lie in that circuit or the jumper itself. Do you have a FSM?

It's been discussed more recently. Search harder yound Jedi!

I believe the answer is that your there is something wrong with your windshield motor. If you want the silly retract feature to work again you will have to replace the motor = $$$$$.

There's a plug under the fairing that I disconnected to stop it from doing that, maybe yours has self disconnected?

It's on here somewhere cause that's how I found out about it in the first place.

It's been discussed more recently. Search harder yound Jedi!

I believe the answer is that your there is something wrong with your windshield motor. If you want the silly retract feature to work again you will have to replace the motor = $$$$$.
Blast! Well, there it is.

Could be that I got the date wrong. I'm lucky to remember what today's date is. What I do know is that The Force led me through all the Google posts on the matter.

Well, as long as it goes up and down when I need it to, I won't be swapping out the motor.

Thanks, Everyone, WBill

Mine starte doing it like 2 years after I had it. Now it only retracts when the temp is just right and it has been ridden for the right amount of time and all the moons from jupiter align with the sun or something. I will pull into the garage and it goes down. Who cares as long as when I push the button it goes up and down I am ok with it. Think of it this way you got the barbarian mod without the work. :huh:

Mine starte doing it like 2 years after I had it. Now it only retracts when the temp is just right and it has been ridden for the right amount of time and all the moons from jupiter align with the sun or something. I will pull into the garage and it goes down. Who cares as long as when I push the button it goes up and down I am ok with it. Think of it this way you got the barbarian mod without the work. :huh:
And mine start doing it 2 years after too..I am sure something dosnt contact inside the black box..it must have something there like a relay,and if you turn off the main switch it swap the 12 volts coming from the red wire inside the black box and this do the auto retract..the red wire give 12 volts all the time in the box,the brown wire give 12 volts only when the main switch is on..the red wire is only for the auto retract..something going wrong there and the relay dont open the 12 volts from the red wire for the auto retract,or the circuit dont understand if it is in the neutral potition from the green lamp..i dont know how easy is to opening the black box..if it can opening then is easy to repair it with a new relay or soldering something there...

The problem is in the motor unit..

In the black box...

It's always the un-open-able black box, isn't it? Damn those black boxes! WBill

wow, most of us unplug the thing at the get go....

I'd say "congrats", but am guessing you like the upsydownsythingy

and same here my '04 for last couple years, I just thought the retract motor was finally getting broken-in.
Iam sure now..this is a typical problem for the 03/04/05 usa models and 01/02/03/04/05 europe models...

Does someone try to open this damn black box on the motor unit..???!!!

The solution is inside there..!!A sticking relay perhaps or a cutting wire,or something need soldering..

I think it is easy to repair it if we can open it..!! :) ;)

No. Do not open Pandora's box. You'll let all the existing good smoke out.

Yamaha has done you a giant favor and designed a stupid feature that goes away on its own, (and which was extremely retarded in the first place). Most folks are concerned with how to eliminate this retardendness.

Consider yourself lucky and move on. Or if you insist on self torture, go hammer a nail into your hand.

Seriously? Why TF would you want the shield to move just because you turned the bike off in neutral?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamaha has done you a giant favor and designed a stupid feature that goes away on its own, (and which was extremely retarded in the first place). Most folks are concerned with how to eliminate this retardendness.

Consider yourself lucky and move on. Or if you insist on self torture, go hammer a nail into your hand.

Seriously? Why TF would you want the shield to move just because you turned the bike off in neutral?
Hi Fred!

I don't know realy why i like this feature...

But i like to see it come down in normal potition every time when i turn off the bike...

It listen a little crazy..but i like it.... :)

Hi Fred!

But i like to see it come down in normal potition every time when i turn off the bike...

The only reason I liked it was because that is the way Yamaha designed it TF to work. As long as it goes up and down where I want it, and it will be a long time before the motor goes out altogether, it's OK with me if it stays put after I turn off the ignition.

Besides, a lot of guys like nails in the head.

I have to add an update, though: It started working as designed on Monday. Hmm, WBill

Hi Fred!

The only reason I liked it was because that is the way Yamaha designed it TF to work. As long as it goes up and down where I want it, and it will be a long time before the motor goes out altogether, it's OK with me if it stays put after I turn off the ignition.

Besides, a lot of guys like nails in the head.

I have to add an update, though: It started working as designed on Monday. Hmm, WBill
Mine only one or two times srarted working after a long ride..and then stoped working.. :(

Really i want to know what is going wrong inside there.. :angry2:

And sometimes working and after stops..All the references they said the same thing..(It begins working after a long ride!)And after stoped again....

It listening like a dirty switch..

Or a coldly soldering inside there,and it doing contact again after some good vibrations from the road or the warm of the sun and engine make a distend on the electronic circuit inside this box..What everything is it..Yamaha Knows this problem and sells a new part number motor unit...

wow, most of us unplug the thing at the get go....

I'd say "congrats", but am guessing you like the upsydownsythingy
Interesting thread, I thought the upsydownsythingy was a "Coolness" feature, I figured it

was desgined to let all the non-riders and lesser riders at the Starbucks know that you

have a cool electrically retractable windscreen.