G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.

dcarver,

did you just add the spacer to the end of the throttle tube to make up for the madco unit, or did you cut the grip??

chiefj48
chiefj48, I used the spacer, no grip cutting was required. See https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...91&hl=madco for pix.. I hope this helps - Don

Don, I have to agree the MadCo unit is on my short list. After researching out all the throttle locks and cruise controls I could find, this is one that looks like a quality unit and one that belongs on the FJR. The others look like an after thought and some need modification of some type to fit our bike. And this one is in about mid range for price which is ok by me. This coupled up with the G2 tube and cam sounds pretty good and from the previous posts I've heard of no problems. PM. <>< B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I have to agree the MadCo unit is on my short list. After researching out all the throttle locks and cruise controls I could find, this is one that looks like a quality unit and one that belongs on the FJR. The others look like an after thought and some need modification of some type to fit our bike. And this one is in about mid range for price which is ok by me. This coupled up with the G2 tube and cam sounds pretty good and from the previous posts I've heard of no problems. PM. <>< B)
PM, I'm happy to report that many months later, the unit still works and looks as good as when new. Sometimes, you DO get what you pay for...

PM, I'm happy to report that many months later, the unit still works and looks as good as when new. Sometimes, you DO get what you pay for...
The only drawback I've found so far is that it's hard to disconnect with heavy winter gloves on. Otherwise it works great! ;)

The only drawback I've found so far is that it's hard to disconnect with heavy winter gloves on. Otherwise it works great! ;)

Dave, I think I read on another post somewhere that in the winter one could add a piece of tubing over the release knob or something similar for easier access. Might be worth a shot. PM. <>< :D

hi all,

i just received my madco cam-lock, and it's a very nice piece!! i ordered it saturday, and received it this afternoon. now thats what i call great srvice. anyone looking for a nice throttle lock, give bill a call 619 423 5693 he's a great guy, and very easy to work with.

chiefj48

Just like Mr. Carver's experience, Bill sent out the throttle lock in the mail to me before I sent him the check! Standup guy. He doesn't take credit cards but worthy item as mentioned and will make the trip to Utah alot easier. Also I have to give Sam at G2 Ergonomics a plug because when I ordered the throttle fix kit for the 06 I used a gift credit card I got for Christmas that really wasn't working, no fault to me or him, and he shipped out the throttle kit to me anyway. And if the problem was not correctable he was going to just write off the payment for my order and ship it anyway!! The problem was later corrected but I have to tell ya it is people like this that deserve our respect and our service to buy their products. These folks are a rare item in todays world and I think this goes a long way to show who they really are and that this forum is and has gained respect in the motorcycling community. I am truly grateful to these guys and the way they care about their customers! PM. <>< :specool: :fan_1: Thanks.

+1

I'll add to the love. What they said.

I started out the journey with Throttlemeister on stock tube with aftermarket grips. By the time I was done, I had installed VStrom hand guards, the G2 throttle tube, and the madco. A couple of observations . . .

Pay attention to which way is up on the hand guards. Don't ask. If you do it right, these are dog-simple to install and are everything people say they are. Excellent farkle. They do, however, kill the throttlemeister . . .

The G2 throttle tube and cam are another five minute install. If you're intimidated, don't be. It is a wonder. I have the PCIII installed which did a lot to tame to low speed ugliness, but the G2 is the real deal. Much more control through the full range of motion.

This is where it gets tricky. The G2 tube is slightly wider than the stock plastic. I had to do some jimmying and prying to get the Madco on . . . and it's still sticky. I've sprayed on some silicone which seems to help. There is still a positive throttle closure, but it doesn't snap closed like it does when it's stock. Ymmv (suggestions welcome).

And does it work? Miles better than the T-meister. Fabulous piece of kit. Get one.

Just installed the G2 tube on the 07. Used some sport-touring grips ordered from CA Sport Touring. Had to open the ends of the grips, and trimmed quite a bit off the throttle side grip. But with the small amount of trimming necessary, the Vista-Cruise lock installed well.

I drilled and tapped a 3mm thread/hole into one side of the throttle housing to accept a long shanked steel ball. The ball functions as a pivot lock for the Vista Cruise, in place of the various brackets supplied, none of which actually work on the FJR. On my 05 I had used a small (2mm) bolt for the pivot lock. The 3mm steel ball worked much better.

The effects of the G2 were instantly noticeable and appreciated. Great farkle!

Now if they would just make a clutch slave cylinder I would have all the ergonomics under control.

This is where it gets tricky. The G2 tube is slightly wider than the stock plastic. I had to do some jimmying and prying to get the Madco on . . . and it's still sticky. I've sprayed on some silicone which seems to help. There is still a positive throttle closure, but it doesn't snap closed like it does when it's stock. Ymmv (suggestions welcome).
And does it work? Miles better than the T-meister. Fabulous piece of kit. Get one.
When I installed the Madco lock, dcarver suggested prying open slightly the ID of the lock. I used a large screw driver and pryed the opening where it slides over the bar and vola, it slide right on over the tube. Also I used a thin coat of grease on the handlebar which helped also. Thanks Don. PM. <>< ;)

When I installed the Madco lock, dcarver suggested prying open slightly the ID of the lock. I used a large screw driver and pryed the opening where it slides over the bar and vola, it slide right on over the tube. Also I used a thin coat of grease on the handlebar which helped also. Thanks Don. PM. <>< ;)
The Madco in combination with the G2 resuted in galling of both surfaces when I first installed them dry - despite spreading the Madco. This resulted in poor operation that I couldn't correct. Then I smoothed both surfaces with v. fine grit sandpaper and applied a light coating of Lubriplate grease and readjusted. Works perfectly - holds and snaps closed as with stock.

Hey guyz, remember to unthread the lock nut prior to spreading the ID apart using a screwdriver. You shouldn't have to add lubricant or anything. Or at least I didn't/haven't. YMMV :rolleyes:

Hey guyz, remember to unthread the lock nut prior to spreading the ID apart using a screwdriver. You shouldn't have to add lubricant or anything. Or at least I didn't/haven't. YMMV :rolleyes:
Just for clarification, I put the thin coat of grease on the handlebar, (as reccomended by the manual), then slide the throttle tube over the lubed bar. To note also while lubing the bar, also lube the cable ends where they insert into the cam and lube the ramp on the cam that the cables ride on with LS grease and also lube the cables inside the sleeves with cable lube or engine oil. I also used emery cloth to smooth out the ID of the lock and the knurling on the new throttle tube to help the lock slide over. PM. <>< ;)

i just got the g2 cam, going to install tonight. And since I don't have compressed air, any reason why I shouldnt smash off the old throttle tube with a hammer?

So, the hammer works. I used a sock to not scuff up my grip.

102_4376.jpg

102_4375.jpg

+1 on this farkle. Took it out for a minute to test it, very good improvement.