FJRF001: New Ticking Sound files

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard a 'ticking' FJR before, and to be honest, it doesn't sound bad to me. In fact, it sounds almost like my brand new '07. If that is bad, the sound of my also new GTO LS2 would make you guys puke... and that thing has hydraulic valve lash adjusters. GM says it's normal, and a lot of other owners have the same issue. GM has lousy tolerances, and used to match pistons to cylinders, but not anymore (cost reductions), so I got a noisy one (my luck!); hopefully better oil will lessen it (coming soon).

Anyway, the only way to really know if there's a problem is adjusting the darn valves, as shim-under-bucket valves will always tick some; hard to tell where the line from acceptable to unacceptable lies.

My bike definitely ticks more when cold (within the acceptable range IMO); the opposite of my car, which starts as it heats up. Later gang.

JC

Has this topic (ticking) died off? Last weekend I test rode a clean 05 FJR with 28K miles. I noticed the ticking right away as soon as the engine started. I sure don't want to buy somebody else's problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're now three years into the Gen II bike....so less and less initial reports of tick from older Gen I. Most of the '05's have been diagnosed. However, they or whoever buys it should get it fixed before the Y.E.S. expires or Yamaha closes the goodwill door.

Has this topic (ticking) died off? Last weekend I test rode a clean 05 FJR with 28K miles. I noticed the ticking right away as soon as the engine started. I sure don't want to buy somebody else's problem.

OK............I now know what a ticker sounds like...........mine???? I'm not sure. It's an '03 with 35K.

The sound bite I downloaded here is very clear, but I am not sure when I listen to my engine and try and compare, I'm just not sure????

It must be obvious right??? If it walks like a duck.......................

Does anyone have a sound bite for a normal "non-ticker" ????

BTW............I didn't fry anything with my battery mix up. Starts right up no problemo :yahoo:

So what are they fixing? Is it wrist pin slap? Piston slap? Cam chain tension? Loose valves? What gives? It doesn't sound that horrid to me, and I'v heard some pretty horrid stuff over the years.

So what are they fixing? Is it wrist pin slap? Piston slap? Cam chain tension? Loose valves? What gives? It doesn't sound that horrid to me, and I'v heard some pretty horrid stuff over the years.
hi guys

can anyone tell me what this is caused by as im in the process of buying a fjr and im sure the guy mentioned a ticking sound

hi guys

can anyone tell me what this is caused by as im in the process of buying a fjr and im sure the guy mentioned a ticking sound
Its apparantly limited to Gen I machines (pre 2006), and it appears to be due to worn exhaust valve guides. The worst case scenario with valve guide issues appears to be increased oil consumption, and possible smoking, so its not something that will fail and strand a person.

hi guys

Its apparantly limited to Gen I machines (pre 2006), and it appears to be due to worn exhaust valve guides. The worst case scenario with valve guide issues appears to be increased oil consumption, and possible smoking, so its not something that will fail and strand a person.
Thanks for the sound bike, I can't believe how much it sounds like my old Seca. Its EXACTLY the same. All the old Yammys made this valve noise, with their manual adjust shims. Basically if my new Yammy sounds like my old Yammy there is a problem.

-Steve

Thanks for the sound bike, I can't believe how much it sounds like my old Seca. Its EXACTLY the same. All the old Yammys made this valve noise, with their manual adjust shims. Basically if my new Yammy sounds like my old Yammy there is a problem.
-Steve
Let's be careful before jumping to conclusions. The FJR does have a slightly noisy "top end"/valve train. The tick is a definite rapping noise, usually at the top left of the engine above #1 or #2 cylinder. It is more definite around 3500 rpms.

-Steve
Let's be careful before jumping to conclusions. The FJR does have a slightly noisy "top end"/valve train. The tick is a definite rapping noise, usually at the top left of the engine above #1 or #2 cylinder. It is more definite around 3500 rpms.
Yeah, I am trying to figure out if my 04 has it. I hear a ticking noise a lot like what I am used to hearing on bikes. I just thought that was standard valve noise.

Can we get a file comparing NORMAL to TICKING. That would REALLY help people differentiate between standard and abnormal valve noise.

Yeah, I am trying to figure out if my 04 has it. I hear a ticking noise a lot like what I am used to hearing on bikes. I just thought that was standard valve noise.
Can we get a file comparing NORMAL to TICKING. That would REALLY help people differentiate between standard and abnormal valve noise.
Here's a vid I made last year at EOM running the dragon. The first 10 seconds you can't really hear it.. from the 10sec mark though.. you can REALLY hear it.

Bungie on the Dragon - Ticking

I had my ticking fixed by Yammie Canada back in March.

Here's a vid I made last year at EOM running the dragon. The first 10 seconds you can't really hear it.. from the 10sec mark though.. you can REALLY hear it.

Bungie on the Dragon - Ticking

I had my ticking fixed by Yammie Canada back in March.
Crap! I couldn't hardly hear the ticking for the sound of you changing gears with a 10 pound sledgehammer.

Put some oil in that gearbox!

Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.
I've got the same problem, the ticking. Mine is a 2005 with 25500 miles on the clock. I just had the 26K service done and the valves didn't need adjusting. Tick still there.

I've talked to the dealer to see if he can support me in getting the tick fixed by Yamaha. I had the 5 year warranty and it expired last September.

I purposely waited to do the 26K service so I could see if the tick went away with the valve adjustment.

Anybody out there who can help me with this?

I appreciate any and all help

Botajet

Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.
I've got the same problem, the ticking. Mine is a 2005 with 25500 miles on the clock. I just had the 26K service done and the valves didn't need adjusting. Tick still there.

I've talked to the dealer to see if he can support me in getting the tick fixed by Yamaha. I had the 5 year warranty and it expired last September.

I purposely waited to do the 26K service so I could see if the tick went away with the valve adjustment.

Anybody out there who can help me with this?

I appreciate any and all help

Botajet
The one "true test" that will confirm whether or not you you have a "Ticker" is to pull off the exhaust header and look for oil residue in the exhaust port(s). The root cause of a ticker is the valve guides wear, get sloppy, and then the seals leak oil excessively.

Many folks have been successful at getting Yamaha to cover the exhaust valve rework, or some fraction of it, outside of warranty or YES coverage. Your success will depend on your relationship with your dealership and his willingness to go to bat for you with Yamaha.