FJRF001: New Ticking Sound files

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahhh....

Finally a good quality sound file of this dreaded plague.

Might I ask if the sound in person has a resonance that appears to be in the clip? In other words, does it sound like the "metal bucket" tap?

Mine sounds like two rocks being banged together, and isnt terribly loud.

After listening to this, i am not so sure mine has at any more--

my manual arrives this week, and I will be hauling off the exhaust to look for the oil in the port.

Thank you for this valuable help!!

No, the recording is pretty accurate. I used recording studio large-diaphragm microphones, and the only "tweek"ing I did was to EQ some of the bass out and isolate the ticking more.

Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.

Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.
Sounds like it's been ticking for a while now, as the tick is evident throughout the RPM range. :(

What does the "not having an easy time" mean, proximity of a good mechanic or a fight with Yamaha?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the bike used at 13 mos. old, and it didn't have a Y.E.S. My local dealers won't touch it, and even told Yamaha they couldn't handle it if it did turn out to be a valve problem, and the nearest dealer Yamaha would set me up with is about 2 hours away, and completely unfamiliar.

Local dealers also wanted $ in advance just to do the diagnostics.

I bought the bike used at 13 mos. old, and it didn't have a Y.E.S. My local dealers won't touch it, and even told Yamaha they couldn't handle it if it did turn out to be a valve problem, and the nearest dealer Yamaha would set me up with is about 2 hours away, and completely unfamiliar.
Local dealers also wanted $ in advance just to do the diagnostics. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:
Good luck with it and thanks for the link. :uhoh:

Heyyyyy, I resemble that remark! Well, uh, almost. I only have 200 to go to find them.

Mine has the dreaded and annoying tick. Fortunately, b4 i took it to any dealers I pulled as many posts from here as I could and was reasonably well informed. Because the first dealer I went to (Hitching Post in Coon Rapids. Avoid the dumbasses at all cost) suffered from I-don't-really-care-about-your-problem-but-will-gladly-assrape-your-bank-account-and-take-your-bike-out-of-service-all-riding-season syndrome. He tried to convince me (and my tick is very loud and pronounced mind you according to a different dealer/service guy) that it was likely just an adjustment that would cost me $250 even though scheduled maintenance is 26,000 miles and the bike only had 9,000 miles on it. Then he would have to put it all back together again and test it. If that wasn't the problem he would tear it back down "when he had time", order the parts, and fix the warranty problem if it was indeed warrantied. His estimation? At least $250 and a minimum of 6 weeks down time, but likely much longer.

So if ur in Minnesota and u gots the tick, avoid Mr. Dick. :angry2:

Mine has the dreaded and annoying tick. Fortunately, b4 i took it to any dealers I pulled as many posts from here as I could and was reasonably well informed. Because the first dealer I went to (Hitching Post in Coon Rapids. Avoid the dumbasses at all cost) suffered from I-don't-really-care-about-your-problem-but-will-gladly-assrape-your-bank-account-and-take-your-bike-out-of-service-all-riding-season syndrome. He tried to convince me (and my tick is very loud and pronounced mind you according to a different dealer/service guy) that it was likely just an adjustment that would cost me $250 even though scheduled maintenance is 26,000 miles and the bike only had 9,000 miles on it. Then he would have to put it all back together again and test it. If that wasn't the problem he would tear it back down "when he had time", order the parts, and fix the warranty problem if it was indeed warrantied. His estimation? At least $250 and a minimum of 6 weeks down time, but likely much longer.
So if ur in Minnesota and u gots the tick, avoid Mr. Dick. :angry2:

Hitching Post service sucks!

I am hoping mine doesn't start ticking, (I have been starting to hear hints of a tick, I think) but fortunately I have YES coverage on the one I just bought until 2010. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heeey that's good. Fortunately my YES is still valid through July 08 so I still gots time. But yes, HP folks were jerks. I went to Heinen's in Osseo at Yamaha's customer service suggestion. The guy was mildly skeptical at first (prolly cuz i came across as incredibly annoyed). But as soon as he heard the bike run he aknowledged it was a ticker and said he would order the parts and when they came in have me come in to have it fixed. I'm expecting the parts to be in by next week to get worked on. So this is still a work in progress, but H.P. won't be involved in it!

Does anyone know if Yamaha will cover this without the YES? My bike is now over 2 years old.

Also, what is the typical mileage when the tick starts? I only have 6700 on mine ( I know I need to ride more - 2006 was a bad year for riding time ).

thanks

Archer