Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(slapnpop @ Mar 19 2007, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh....
Finally a good quality sound file of this dreaded plague.
Might I ask if the sound in person has a resonance that appears to be in the clip? In other words, does it sound like the "metal bucket" tap?

Mine sounds like two rocks being banged together, and isnt terribly loud.

After listening to this, i am not so sure mine has at any more--

my manual arrives this week, and I will be hauling off the exhaust to look for the oil in the port.

Thank you for this valuable help!!
Kiki
www3.nb.sympatico.ca/cnj

"you live more in 5 minutes flat-out on one of these things than many people live in a lifetime..."

#3 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  • 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

No, the recording is pretty accurate. I used recording studio large-diaphragm microphones, and the only "tweek"ing I did was to EQ some of the bass out and isolate the ticking more.
Things that make you go Vroom

#4 vectervp1

vectervp1

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

Aww man.... does this mean your bike is ticking Slap? sad.gif
The questions is not how far. The question is, do you poses the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as needed.

#5 Kiki

Kiki

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

Excellent--
it does have a good quality to it.

thanks again.
Kiki
www3.nb.sympatico.ca/cnj

"you live more in 5 minutes flat-out on one of these things than many people live in a lifetime..."

#6 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.

#7 twowheelnut

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

Sux, man. Good luck.
IBA #33287

#8 skyway

skyway

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts
  • 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(slapnpop @ Mar 19 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but that's no new news. Trying to get it remedied now, and I'm not having an easy time.

Sounds like it's been ticking for a while now, as the tick is evident throughout the RPM range. sad.gif

What does the "not having an easy time" mean, proximity of a good mechanic or a fight with Yamaha?

#9 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

I bought the bike used at 13 mos. old, and it didn't have a Y.E.S. My local dealers won't touch it, and even told Yamaha they couldn't handle it if it did turn out to be a valve problem, and the nearest dealer Yamaha would set me up with is about 2 hours away, and completely unfamiliar.

Local dealers also wanted $ in advance just to do the diagnostics.

#10 fjr

fjr

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(slapnpop @ Mar 19 2007, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought the bike used at 13 mos. old, and it didn't have a Y.E.S. My local dealers won't touch it, and even told Yamaha they couldn't handle it if it did turn out to be a valve problem, and the nearest dealer Yamaha would set me up with is about 2 hours away, and completely unfamiliar.

Local dealers also wanted $ in advance just to do the diagnostics. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Good luck with it and thanks for the link. uhoh.gif

#11 Jarmo

Jarmo

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Hey Slap,
What is your milage on the 03.

Jarmo

#12 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

#13 twowheelnut

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(slapnpop @ Mar 19 2007, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

???? What, you Brun's long lost brother or sumpin'?
IBA #33287

#14 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

No, I just don't have to ride 1000 miles to get to good roads.

#15 luvtoride

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

Heyyyyy, I resemble that remark! Well, uh, almost. I only have 200 to go to find them.
Shut up and Ride!!!

Godspeed TWN. We miss you.

#16 blazinSaddle

blazinSaddle

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

Mine has the dreaded and annoying tick. Fortunately, b4 i took it to any dealers I pulled as many posts from here as I could and was reasonably well informed. Because the first dealer I went to (Hitching Post in Coon Rapids. Avoid the dumbasses at all cost) suffered from I-don't-really-care-about-your-problem-but-will-gladly-assrape-your-bank-account-and-take-your-bike-out-of-service-all-riding-season syndrome. He tried to convince me (and my tick is very loud and pronounced mind you according to a different dealer/service guy) that it was likely just an adjustment that would cost me $250 even though scheduled maintenance is 26,000 miles and the bike only had 9,000 miles on it. Then he would have to put it all back together again and test it. If that wasn't the problem he would tear it back down "when he had time", order the parts, and fix the warranty problem if it was indeed warrantied. His estimation? At least $250 and a minimum of 6 weeks down time, but likely much longer.

So if ur in Minnesota and u gots the tick, avoid Mr. Dick. angry.gif

#17 J.P.

J.P.

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(blazinSaddle @ May 3 2007, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine has the dreaded and annoying tick. Fortunately, b4 i took it to any dealers I pulled as many posts from here as I could and was reasonably well informed. Because the first dealer I went to (Hitching Post in Coon Rapids. Avoid the dumbasses at all cost) suffered from I-don't-really-care-about-your-problem-but-will-gladly-assrape-your-bank-account-and-take-your-bike-out-of-service-all-riding-season syndrome. He tried to convince me (and my tick is very loud and pronounced mind you according to a different dealer/service guy) that it was likely just an adjustment that would cost me $250 even though scheduled maintenance is 26,000 miles and the bike only had 9,000 miles on it. Then he would have to put it all back together again and test it. If that wasn't the problem he would tear it back down "when he had time", order the parts, and fix the warranty problem if it was indeed warrantied. His estimation? At least $250 and a minimum of 6 weeks down time, but likely much longer.

So if ur in Minnesota and u gots the tick, avoid Mr. Dick. angry.gif

Hitching Post service sucks!

I am hoping mine doesn't start ticking, (I have been starting to hear hints of a tick, I think) but fortunately I have YES coverage on the one I just bought until 2010. smile.gif
- J.P.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
-Mitch Hedberg

#18 blazinSaddle

blazinSaddle

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Heeey that's good. Fortunately my YES is still valid through July 08 so I still gots time. But yes, HP folks were jerks. I went to Heinen's in Osseo at Yamaha's customer service suggestion. The guy was mildly skeptical at first (prolly cuz i came across as incredibly annoyed). But as soon as he heard the bike run he aknowledged it was a ticker and said he would order the parts and when they came in have me come in to have it fixed. I'm expecting the parts to be in by next week to get worked on. So this is still a work in progress, but H.P. won't be involved in it!

#19 Archer1022

Archer1022

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

Does anyone know if Yamaha will cover this without the YES? My bike is now over 2 years old.

Also, what is the typical mileage when the tick starts? I only have 6700 on mine ( I know I need to ride more - 2006 was a bad year for riding time ).

thanks
Archer

#20 ELP_JC

ELP_JC

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

Never heard a 'ticking' FJR before, and to be honest, it doesn't sound bad to me. In fact, it sounds almost like my brand new '07. If that is bad, the sound of my also new GTO LS2 would make you guys puke... and that thing has hydraulic valve lash adjusters. GM says it's normal, and a lot of other owners have the same issue. GM has lousy tolerances, and used to match pistons to cylinders, but not anymore (cost reductions), so I got a noisy one (my luck!); hopefully better oil will lessen it (coming soon).
Anyway, the only way to really know if there's a problem is adjusting the darn valves, as shim-under-bucket valves will always tick some; hard to tell where the line from acceptable to unacceptable lies.
My bike definitely ticks more when cold (within the acceptable range IMO); the opposite of my car, which starts as it heats up. Later gang.
JC