shift snick or shift clunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctxfjr

Reaction score
How is an FJR suspose to shift-with a snick or a clunk? My 06 clunks 80% of the time regardless of which gear I am in. I can use different methods and it seems to have no effect whether it clunks or shifts smoothly. I have a lot of early years experience on bikes and the ones from Japan always shifted smoothly. My Dad was a BMW dealer when I was a youth and I rode a lot of different bikes and remember the Harleys and BMW shifting with a clunking noise. The bikes from England and Japan shifted quitely and smoothly. Is their something wrong with my bike or is this normal on the FJR?

Love the clunk. Feel the clunk. Beeeeee the clunk. Welcome to FJR ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
clunk into first, then snick, snick, snick, snick upshifting, unless I really blow the RPMs. All Downshifts clunk unless RPMs perfectly matched.

How many miles ,anything under 10,000 probably is not even run in .

Oil changes help as most oiles are not designed for gearbox use as well as engine use . they do not like the high " shear loads of gears. Shell makes a good disel oil ( do not remember the name in the USA ,this has a high shear capability .

I have said it before but try NULON treatment it works and has worked for thirty years for me ,if you can not get some I have a mate out from the states riding around Australia ,he is taking some back so I can get him to send it to you.

Mine clunks 90% from 1st to 2nd and back. Smooth from 2nd on up. 05 ABS with 8k on it. I did notice that when I flushed the clutch reservoir and adjusted the throttle slack, it got alot better.

clunk into first, then snick, snick, snick, snick upshifting, unless I really blow the RPMs. All Downshifts clunk unless RPMs perfectly matched.
+1 but mine sometime clunks between 1-2 if I'm lazy about it. If you think the FJR is bad go ride a BMW with dry clutch, the clunk in every gear and feel like the Tranny is broke.

Mine snicks... just not as neatly as does my Aprilia.

If you want to experience clunk, ride any BMW with the K12 engine.

It's all relative....

As a new 2007 FJR owner having the bike for a couple of days and having put about 200mi on it, I thought I would share my thoughts.

The transmission "clunk" when trying to get smooth shifts is pretty significant if you ask me. I hate to think that a K1200GT would be even worse. The first-to-second shift is about impossible to get smooth, but dang if I aint trying. My girlfriend and I plan to take the FJR out for a ride this weekend and she is going to think I forgot how to use the clutch and shifter on a motorcycle. I have tried clutch, no clutch, higher RPM shifts, lower RRM shifts, quick throttle takup, slow throttle takeup, etc.

My main concerns is that my passenger will be uncomfortable with the un-smooth shifts and whatnot. I was really hoping that it would get smoother as the tranny and whatnot got some miles on them.

I have had several Kawasaki's - ZX-11. ZX-12r, etc - and their trannys were much smoother than the FJR.

Random thoughts..

Mark

2007 FJR

My 03 shifts really smooth. Not as smooth as my FZ1 did though. I also while breaking in the engine purposely broke in the tranny, Smooth shifts up and down at lower rpm's at first then increased to higher rpm shifts both up and down. Secondary in importance to engine break in. Also did the brakes in a similar fashion. Mine only clunks going into first if I don't have the clutch pulled in at a stop for about 10 seconds or so.

After riding BMW's for the last 11 years, I can hardly hear my 07's tranny. It's a matter of what you are used to.

Mac

Latest posts