Wife's FZ6 got a touring windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
We are planning a 3,500 mile vacation at the end of July that will snake us across the Western US. To make the riding more comfortable, Sherri wanted a windshield that would keep the airstream off of her body so that she can relax more.

We worked with a local windscreen builder California Scientific:

https://www.calsci.com/

Here was the bike before...and I'm sure you are used to the '07 by now:

DSC08976.jpg

Here it is with the new screen:

DSC09175.jpg

DSC09177.jpg

DSC09136.jpg

How does it work? Fantasticly! Mark of CalSci put this screen together in short order and while what is on our bike is one of the early prototypes, we didn't want to give it back to him. It keeps the airstream off the body so long distance riding can be done with less fatigue, in comfort, and still, I think the look of the bike is still that of a sporty, fun bike. It doesn't seem to have the barn door look of many aftermarket screens, but is sure works for the touring minded which is better than the effect of the aftermarket screens that look great, but lack in performance.

Hey nice work it looks very nice should do the job.

Where did you install the electric motor for up-n-down??? he he he :unsure:

weekend rider :) :D

heh heh ... I rode the bike that day
I knew it! Sherri's bike... Sh'yeah, right! :p

Any love on the boot search, JG?
Any boot'll do. I installed the Penske shock that I ordered through GP Suspension on Friday. Thanks to Mark-H for recommending them and thanks to TWN for teaching me how to replace rear shocks! Sherri is now got both feet firmly planted on the ground while on her FZ6 :)

DSC09344.jpg

Why mamayama had to change the fairing on the FZ6 is beyond me. The previous one was wider and did a much better job deflecting the airstream. Combined with their touring windscreen with the flip it was a decent bike for longer rides airstream-wise.

The paint pattern on the 04 - blue tank and bodywork, silver on the frame and engine - did make it look much like FJR jr, even moreso with a set of SHAD hardbags.

Mamayama already has a bunch of sport bikes that appeal to the street sport crowd and the FZ6 was just as successful on this side of the pond as it was in Europe so I don't know why they felt they needed to make this one look more like a street sport instead of leaving it as more of a standard ... maybe they're planning to bring the naked version over from Europe too?

It is a fun bike though and the Cal-sci windscreen looks good.

Why mamayama had to change the fairing on the FZ6 is beyond me. The previous one was wider and did a much better job deflecting the airstream. Combined with their touring windscreen with the flip it was a decent bike for longer rides airstream-wise.
The paint pattern on the 04 - blue tank and bodywork, silver on the frame and engine - did make it look much like FJR jr, even moreso with a set of SHAD hardbags.

Mamayama already has a bunch of sport bikes that appeal to the street sport crowd and the FZ6 was just as successful on this side of the pond as it was in Europe so I don't know why they felt they needed to make this one look more like a street sport instead of leaving it as more of a standard ... maybe they're planning to bring the naked version over from Europe too?

It is a fun bike though and the Cal-sci windscreen looks good.
I was pretty surprised how well the fairing protects from the wind. I haven't ridden in really cold weather, but when it was chilly I rode without my liner so I ducked down (stock windscreen) and was fine. The CalSci windscreen makes a huge difference. On me, the airstream comes in just above the shield on the helmet. The wind seems completely off my body. It is a LOT more relaxing at highway speeds. With the stock screen I was bounced around pretty harshly by cross winds and stuff. On my DRZ I expect this kind of stuff, but on the FZ6, if I want Sherri to ride with me, I figured I better farkle it out. :)

Last edited by a moderator: