#1 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

:D

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Well, not being the type of traveller that crosses international borders very often...I presumed that I could pick up a passport in very little time and for very little money. That, combined with my natural instinct to procrastinate, has got me to find out that it will take 3 to 4 months to get a passport unless I pay big bucks for some super fast service. I was warned by FJRocket to get my act together...but alas that didn't happen.

I heard somewhere - maybe on this board - that you aren't required to have a passport for motorcycle travel to Canada in 2007 - but that it would be a royal pain at the border if you didn't have one.

So...am I screwed without a passport?

I do eventually want to get up to Nova Scotia & Canadian Rockies sometime in my lifetime...but those aren't but in a few years yet. Its about $125 to $150 for a passport the regular way and about $200 the "hurry up" way. That adds quite a bit to the travel costs for this trip...

So, flame away at the stupid yank...

#2 twowheelnut

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,031 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

Click.
IBA #33287

#3 okmac

okmac

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

For the year of 07 you need a passport to go into Canada if you are going by air or by sea. If you are on the ground you do not need one until 2008. So you can still apply for one the slow way. I am going over the great lakes next week headed for Americade and do not have a passport..

mac
2007 FJR1300

#4 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(twowheelnut @ May 30 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info...I've been quoted 12 to 16 weeks vs the 6 to 8 weeks in that document. I guess my question is more to the effect of:
I may not have a passport in time...From those in the know...Will my border crossings take considerable more time than those travelling with passports?

#5 v65

v65

ouch

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

Talked to my dad who drives a cargo van for FedEx and crosses the border frequently. He says it does not take any longer without the passport. Personally, we went to Ontario last year and the border crossing was pretty quick, didn't see any huge lines.
"We have done two ignition switch recalls, both of you wanted to do it yourself. The other guy also did a friend of his. You FJR owners sure are a hardcore bunch."
v65's homepage

#6 Mr Bill

Mr Bill

Old Dog

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

It won't matter if you have a passport. Just say I ain't got nuthin to declare.

I never had to show any documentation at canadian border crossings dozens of times over the last 30 years....and then last August the nice Canadian customs lady at Calais/St Stephen gave me a slip of paper to bring inside. I won a complete search of my FJR! Good thing I had a chance to slip my radar detector into my pocket, because they searched just the bike and not me. The three other riders in my group were behind and got right through.

So I would not worry about the border crossing. Just don't show them any guns, ammo or radar dectectors rolleyes.gif

#7 Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

Is there somewhere local that you can go, in person, to get the passport? Our post office has a passport office (long wait) but City Hall has started issuing them recently. We were in and out in about 30 mins. The passports arrived in the mail pretty soon afterwards.

Jill
La Pinguina plata

Clicky here.

Welcome to the FJR Forum, where the truly twisted meet the merely insane! (El Cajone)

#8 rickcorwn

rickcorwn

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(wheatonFJR @ May 30 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard somewhere - maybe on this board - that you aren't required to have a passport for motorcycle travel to Canada in 2007 - but that it would be a royal pain at the border if you didn't have one.

So...am I screwed without a passport?

I do eventually want to get up to Nova Scotia & Canadian Rockies sometime in my lifetime...but those aren't but in a few years yet. Its about $125 to $150 for a passport the regular way and about $200 the "hurry up" way. That adds quite a bit to the travel costs for this trip...

Like others have said you'll be OK for 2007 it's 2008 that you'll need a passport for ground travel. The passport requirement is to return to the good ol' US of A Canada doesn't care, yet.

$125 to $150??? The State Dept. only charges $97 click

Send it in now and you'll be ready for next year no problem.

It's only far, if you don't go
Danny Liska

Rick Corwine
Chanhassen, MN  http://rickcorwine.smugmug.com

thCFR2009.jpg CFO8.jpg SWFOG2010.gif CFO_sig_graphic_small.jpg

#9 HaulinAshe

HaulinAshe

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

I applied for my passport about four weeks ago. Local city hall processed the application in a flash. Got the photos made at the CVS drug store. Expecting to receive the passport in another four weeks.

Roll the dice however you feel comfortable. But some stupid and seemingly insignificant act could trigger a heightened alert status and substantially change things at the borders. My biggest concern was everything going into this "once in a lifetime" trip to WFO and up through the Canadian Rockies, and how it would be just my luck to have some sort of bike trouble and need to make a flight back, but have no passport.

Hell, I'm mostly worried about getting back below that Mason-Dixon line without packing a wife-beater T-shirt. smile.gif
The older you are, the faster you used to be.

#10 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

Thanks all for your replies... clapping.gif

#11 brazos parker

brazos parker

What??

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

I renewed my passport last Oct at the local post office, pictures and all. IIRC, total cost was around $90. Passport arrived 3-4 weeks later w/out expedited processing.
not all who wander are lost.

#12 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

I submitted the forms for my first passport early this year. AT the time the friendly folks at the post office said that it would take about four weeks if I am in a hurry, and about 10 weeks if I am not in a hurry. I mistakenly said that I was not in a hurry. I have been waiting for about 12 weeks now......

BTW, once you submit the passport application you can track the status here.
'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#13 BugR

BugR

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

This link should answer any Canadian Requirements
Visting Canada

Chris
EOM '05, '06, '07, WFO '05, 06, CFR 07, 08, 09, 10 (Rally Master)

#14 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,993 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(wheatonFJR @ May 30 2007, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info...I've been quoted 12 to 16 weeks vs the 6 to 8 weeks in that document. I guess my question is more to the effect of:
I may not have a passport in time...From those in the know...Will my border crossings take considerable more time than those travelling with passports?

back in 2001 it took a friend and i 3 HOURS to clear into Canada from WA state. I can also assure you it will take less time than that.
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#15 BugR

BugR

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(Bounce @ May 31 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(wheatonFJR @ May 30 2007, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

back in 2001 it took a friend and i 3 HOURS to clear into Canada from WA state. I can also assure you it will take less time than that.

Was that traffic or were you bringing something in?
Fortunately in Eastern Ontario there are a number of small crossing points, Ogdensburg typically has no line up outside of rush hour and few trucks as they cross at 1000 islands for the I-81.

Chris
EOM '05, '06, '07, WFO '05, 06, CFR 07, 08, 09, 10 (Rally Master)

#16 gypsy

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

Here is a link that will show you the current wait times at US-Canada border crossings.

http://www.cbsa-asfc...mes/menu-e.html

While it isn't necessary to have passport entering the US or Canada I find it can make things go more smoothly. Also saying things like "f*ck you it's my country let me in" doesn't, in fact, speed things up! smile.gif

gypsy
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 airboss

airboss

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

For WheatonFJR, Just picked this item off of MSN Travel.

http://travel.msn.co...?...7&GT1=10142
Don't Know Where I'm Going........But this is Where I've Been
Normal People.....................Scare me
Anyone who doesn't know what soap taste like never washed a dog.

#18 OhioFJR1300

OhioFJR1300

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure what it is called, but several months ago, when we crossed into Canada, (we did not have passports), there was some "express" card/pass that you could buy for $50.00 that would let you pass through the border in a faster manner. As for getting passports, last yera we were able to get them in 3-4 weeks but we did have to pay extra. We got them at the U.S. Post Office and if I remember right, the extra charge was only $50.00, and it was really just to pay to overnight ship the paperwork and passports to the processing center and back to us. We are doing a ride around Lake Erie tomorrow (Saturday) from our home near Cleveland Ohio, so i will check into this and be able to give you updated info on Sunday. Also, do not forget to call your insurance people and get a Canadian proof of insurance card. It is free, and is required if you get stopped by the law in Canada.
Rick M 2006 FJR, 2003 Gold Wing
IBA #23947

#19 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

Just read today the gummint is going to relax the program.. too many pissed off travellers. You may be in luck after all. rolleyes.gif
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#20 FastJoyRide

FastJoyRide

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

Chill - you're fine with any photo ID - most use their driver's licence.

Unless you get stuck behind a big line-up of trucks and cages, the border formalities should take only a minute or two.

No packing in Canada - even if you have a carry permit in the US. No sense of humour on this one...

See you in September!
Dave
SS1K - every WFO since 2004 (except 2010), CFR 2007, NAFO-1, CFR 2009, CFR 2010, WCR 2010, NAFO-3,
'Jesus loves you' - a nice gesture in church, but a horrifying thing to hear in a Mexican prison...
Posted ImagePosted Image