I don't have a passport yet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, not being the type of traveller that crosses international borders very often...I presumed that I could pick up a passport in very little time and for very little money. That, combined with my natural instinct to procrastinate, has got me to find out that it will take 3 to 4 months to get a passport unless I pay big bucks for some super fast service. I was warned by FJRocket to get my act together...but alas that didn't happen.

I heard somewhere - maybe on this board - that you aren't required to have a passport for motorcycle travel to Canada in 2007 - but that it would be a royal pain at the border if you didn't have one.

So...am I screwed without a passport?

I do eventually want to get up to Nova Scotia & Canadian Rockies sometime in my lifetime...but those aren't but in a few years yet. Its about $125 to $150 for a passport the regular way and about $200 the "hurry up" way. That adds quite a bit to the travel costs for this trip...

So, flame away at the stupid yank...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the year of 07 you need a passport to go into Canada if you are going by air or by sea. If you are on the ground you do not need one until 2008. So you can still apply for one the slow way. I am going over the great lakes next week headed for Americade and do not have a passport..

mac

Thanks for the info...I've been quoted 12 to 16 weeks vs the 6 to 8 weeks in that document. I guess my question is more to the effect of:

I may not have a passport in time...From those in the know...Will my border crossings take considerable more time than those travelling with passports?

Talked to my dad who drives a cargo van for FedEx and crosses the border frequently. He says it does not take any longer without the passport. Personally, we went to Ontario last year and the border crossing was pretty quick, didn't see any huge lines.

It won't matter if you have a passport. Just say I ain't got nuthin to declare.

I never had to show any documentation at canadian border crossings dozens of times over the last 30 years....and then last August the nice Canadian customs lady at Calais/St Stephen gave me a slip of paper to bring inside. I won a complete search of my FJR! Good thing I had a chance to slip my radar detector into my pocket, because they searched just the bike and not me. The three other riders in my group were behind and got right through.

So I would not worry about the border crossing. Just don't show them any guns, ammo or radar dectectors :rolleyes:

Is there somewhere local that you can go, in person, to get the passport? Our post office has a passport office (long wait) but City Hall has started issuing them recently. We were in and out in about 30 mins. The passports arrived in the mail pretty soon afterwards.

Jill

I heard somewhere - maybe on this board - that you aren't required to have a passport for motorcycle travel to Canada in 2007 - but that it would be a royal pain at the border if you didn't have one.
So...am I screwed without a passport?

I do eventually want to get up to Nova Scotia & Canadian Rockies sometime in my lifetime...but those aren't but in a few years yet. Its about $125 to $150 for a passport the regular way and about $200 the "hurry up" way. That adds quite a bit to the travel costs for this trip...
Like others have said you'll be OK for 2007 it's 2008 that you'll need a passport for ground travel. The passport requirement is to return to the good ol' US of A Canada doesn't care, yet.

$125 to $150??? The State Dept. only charges $97 click

Send it in now and you'll be ready for next year no problem.

I applied for my passport about four weeks ago. Local city hall processed the application in a flash. Got the photos made at the CVS drug store. Expecting to receive the passport in another four weeks.

Roll the dice however you feel comfortable. But some stupid and seemingly insignificant act could trigger a heightened alert status and substantially change things at the borders. My biggest concern was everything going into this "once in a lifetime" trip to WFO and up through the Canadian Rockies, and how it would be just my luck to have some sort of bike trouble and need to make a flight back, but have no passport.

Hell, I'm mostly worried about getting back below that Mason-Dixon line without packing a wife-beater T-shirt. :)

I renewed my passport last Oct at the local post office, pictures and all. IIRC, total cost was around $90. Passport arrived 3-4 weeks later w/out expedited processing.

I submitted the forms for my first passport early this year. AT the time the friendly folks at the post office said that it would take about four weeks if I am in a hurry, and about 10 weeks if I am not in a hurry. I mistakenly said that I was not in a hurry. I have been waiting for about 12 weeks now......

BTW, once you submit the passport application you can track the status here.

Thanks for the info...I've been quoted 12 to 16 weeks vs the 6 to 8 weeks in that document. I guess my question is more to the effect of:

I may not have a passport in time...From those in the know...Will my border crossings take considerable more time than those travelling with passports?
back in 2001 it took a friend and i 3 HOURS to clear into Canada from WA state. I can also assure you it will take less time than that.

back in 2001 it took a friend and i 3 HOURS to clear into Canada from WA state. I can also assure you it will take less time than that.
Was that traffic or were you bringing something in?

Fortunately in Eastern Ontario there are a number of small crossing points, Ogdensburg typically has no line up outside of rush hour and few trucks as they cross at 1000 islands for the I-81.

Chris

Here is a link that will show you the current wait times at US-Canada border crossings.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

While it isn't necessary to have passport entering the US or Canada I find it can make things go more smoothly. Also saying things like "f*ck you it's my country let me in" doesn't, in fact, speed things up! :)

gypsy

I'm not sure what it is called, but several months ago, when we crossed into Canada, (we did not have passports), there was some "express" card/pass that you could buy for $50.00 that would let you pass through the border in a faster manner. As for getting passports, last yera we were able to get them in 3-4 weeks but we did have to pay extra. We got them at the U.S. Post Office and if I remember right, the extra charge was only $50.00, and it was really just to pay to overnight ship the paperwork and passports to the processing center and back to us. We are doing a ride around Lake Erie tomorrow (Saturday) from our home near Cleveland Ohio, so i will check into this and be able to give you updated info on Sunday. Also, do not forget to call your insurance people and get a Canadian proof of insurance card. It is free, and is required if you get stopped by the law in Canada.

Just read today the gummint is going to relax the program.. too many pissed off travellers. You may be in luck after all. :rolleyes: