06 Ignition Failure-Number 4?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airboss

Reaction score
Wednesday doing a grand tour of the state of Missouri, after 10 hrs in the saddle I stopped for gas. Filled up, turn the key on , all the lights on the dash & display winked and went out. Cycled the key, the dash and display come on everything looks normal, bike starts and runs normal.

Yesterday, doing the grand tour of the state of Illinois, after 15 hrs, stopped for gas,and turned the key on, dash and display wink at me and go out. After checking the fuses, and kicking stones for a half hour found a sweet spot just by the off position on the switch that would light everything up and allow the bike to start. strange thing is after the bike started the switch could be turned to the full on position and it would keep running???mystified???

I thought it might be heat related, as both times it happened the bike had been ridden long an hard. I just checked it after letting it sit overnight and it's still doing it.

Question, is this the same problem as the others, or did I find a new one?

How'd the ride go? Spoke with you briefly at the Casey's in Harrisburg, IL...

Sounds like ignition switch - which fails about as often as a turn signal relay, but that's where I'd start.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ride was going fine until the ignition screwed up, I would have been done and in the barn by midnight. I had two more mandantory stops to make and one of them would have been a fuel stop. Thats why I decided to call it, I would have had to shut the bike off for fuel and after having to "play" with the switch for over a half hour to get it started the last time did not trust that it would start one more time. This proved correct this morning, tryed for over and hour to get it started, no joy called my dealer to come and get it.

BTW Dealer called, I guess I'll have to take the bike it's blankie & teddy bear, it's going to be there awhile, ignition switches for the FJR are coming up as being on national back order. Nobody got one nada, zip.

The ride was going fine until the ignition screwed up, I would have been done and in the barn by midnight. I had two more mandantory stops to make and one of them would have been a fuel stop. Thats why I decided to call it, I would have had to shut the bike off for fuel and after having to "play" with the switch for over a half hour to get it started the last time did not trust that it would start one more time. This proved correct this morning, tryed for over and hour to get it started, no joy called my dealer to come and get it.

BTW Dealer called, I guess I'll have to take the bike it's blankie & teddy bear, it's going to be there awhile, ignition switches for the FJR are coming up as being on national back order. Nobody got one nada, zip.
Hecky dern - we'll hope for a speedy recovery... I know what it's like to be "bike-less"...

Mine came in last Thursday and the dealer is fighting with Yamaha because I want it keyed to the the old key :angry:

Hecky dern - we'll hope for a speedy recovery... I know what it's like to be "bike-less"...

Mine came in last Thursday and the dealer is fighting with Yamaha because I want it keyed to the the old key :angry:
Orient, I won't be bikeless, just less bike. I got the old Vulcan 750 all warmed up and ready to ride. :rolleyes:

Cota, why don't they take the new ignition and key,and the old key to the local locksmith and have him rekey it to the old key????? I have it done to lock cylinders all the time, takes my guy about ten minutes to do one. :)

What's up with the ignition switches? Is this turning into a common problem on the '06? I've only seen one fail in the all the years I've been at this and that was on a Suzuki X-6 (dating myself here)!

It's been my experience that they're very reliable like turn signal relays - and since Japan started using transisters, those relays just gather dust on the dealer's shelf.

Good point on the re-keying idea - that shouldn't be too hard or expensive to have done.

750 Vulcan huh? Nice - a tried & true warrior!

I'll let ya' borrow the Tiger or the Daytona, but you'd better have some natural padding - both seat's are like a board wrapped in steel. :angry: ...and neither one is a rocket!!

Got a call from my dealer tonight, Yamaha has agreed to go for rekeying the ignition to my old key. They still haven't agreed to pay for the temp repair done by the dealer in NC so that I could get home to RI. I guess I'll be on the phone to customer service tomorrow. Does anyone know if YES wil cover towing? The agreement says that they will cover expenses up to $150 for a covered repair that occurs on the road.

I wonder if the problem is related to the tension on the wires that the factory zip-tied into the harness where it exits under the switch?

Airboss - I had the same issue last Thursday, 6/14. Was coming back from Custer, SD via the scenic route thru NE and got stuck in BFE (aka Valentine, NE). Ended up going all the way back to Rapid City, SD to rent a truck to haul it home back to northern Illinois. :angry03:

Radman had thought it was either the wiring or the ignition at the time. Wiring wasn't rubbing, so didn't think that was it. Blasted the ignition with brake cleaner before pulling out from BFE but it still wouldn't turn on. Once GrnArrowe and I got back home, unloaded the beast, wuddya know... the beast turns on.

The dealer picked it up yesterday. I have heard anything from them yet. I will be calling them tomorrow for an update, but I think I'm calling Yamama now.

I know of another 06 from Texarkana TX who also encountered this exact very same issue last Thursday as well.

I am still tickled with my 04 but I did give my dealers parts man a heads up on this issue.They have sold a lot of FJR's and none have come back yet.He did place an order though for a couple of switches just in case.His point of view if a part is on national back order for a new machine then there is a problem

What's up with the ignition switches? Is this turning into a common problem on the '06? I've only seen one fail in the all the years I've been at this and that was on a Suzuki X-6 (dating myself here)!It's been my experience that they're very reliable like turn signal relays - and since Japan started using transisters, those relays just gather dust on the dealer's shelf.

Good point on the re-keying idea - that shouldn't be too hard or expensive to have done.

750 Vulcan huh? Nice - a tried & true warrior!

I'll let ya' borrow the Tiger or the Daytona, but you'd better have some natural padding - both seat's are like a board wrapped in steel. :angry: ...and neither one is a rocket!!
A Suzuki x-6 Hustler?Does that bring back memories.Gotta love those T-20's.I still have a Titan T500 and GT380

Sorry to hear you are still wrestling with Yamaha on that key issue.I had to replace my bags and just wondering wouldnt it be easier to rekey the bags?That is what I had to do.

I just got off the phone with Yamaha... They aren't 'aware' of any issue with the ignition or wiring of the '06 FJRs. I mentioned to them the previous posts and their comment was that while peeps will post to the forums, they don't always contact Yamaha...

SOOO.... If you haven't done so, call Yamaha-USA and bitch! I'm gonna fight for some sort of warranty even tho I'm a month and 6 days out. (No, I didn't get Y.E.S.)

just my observations.... but it looks like this is restricted to the '06 FJRs.

Good luck!!!

Vicki

aka BlueBear06 aka Ears

Airboss - I had the same issue last Thursday, 6/14. Was coming back from Custer, SD via the scenic route thru NE and got stuck in BFE (aka Valentine, NE). Ended up going all the way back to Rapid City, SD to rent a truck to haul it home back to northern Illinois. :angry03:
Radman had thought it was either the wiring or the ignition at the time. Wiring wasn't rubbing, so didn't think that was it. Blasted the ignition with brake cleaner before pulling out from BFE but it still wouldn't turn on. Once GrnArrowe and I got back home, unloaded the beast, wuddya know... the beast turns on.

The dealer picked it up yesterday. I have heard anything from them yet. I will be calling them tomorrow for an update, but I think I'm calling Yamama now.

I know of another 06 from Texarkana TX who also encountered this exact very same issue last Thursday as well.
BlueBear, if the dealer can't get the switch to malfuction, don't let them make an excuse and not replace it. I did that back in March, the dealer said that it must be moisture in the switch and to just spray it with some silicone. I bought that and it seemed to work. Well until now.

Edit, I will call Yamaha.

Got a call from my dealer tonight, Yamaha has agreed to go for rekeying the ignition to my old key. They still haven't agreed to pay for the temp repair done by the dealer in NC so that I could get home to RI. I guess I'll be on the phone to customer service tomorrow. Does anyone know if YES wil cover towing? The agreement says that they will cover expenses up to $150 for a covered repair that occurs on the road.
Talk to Yamaha customer service, and after switching thru a couple of reps, they agreed to pay for the temp repair in NC ($200) and the towing charge ($65). :yahoo: I'm very pleased with the response from customer service, I think that went above and beyond what I expected.

My dealer and I spoke with Yamaha this morning, the switch will be shipped from Japan(Not inventoried in US warehouses), it is due at the dealers on the 28th of June. :glare:

OK, whine open, someone please pass the cheese.

My dealer and I spoke with Yamaha this morning, the switch will be shipped from Japan(Not inventoried in US warehouses), it is due at the dealers on the 28th of June. :glare:

OK, whine open, someone please pass the cheese.
Is it coming keyed to match your existing set, or does it have to be "locksmithed"?