Calling all those with ignition switch issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBear06

Reaction score
Do you have an '06 with an ignition issue???

Please go out to the NHTSA web site and post your complaint! >>> https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If we don't tell them, they won't know!!! Maybe they can determine the actual true issue and prevent the rest of the '06 owners from having to haul their 2-wheeled friend home and having to go bikeless while waiting for parts!

Even if you just lurk out here and never post up... report it!

yours truly,

BlueBear06

Good idea, my bike went in the shop on Monday June 18th, my dealer called later that day to tell me the switch was on back order. I called Yamaha customer service, the only thing they could tell me was that the switch was scheduled to arrive from Japan July 10, and they would overnight it to the dealer when they received it. I'm thinking the middle of July before I get the bike back.

I agree with BlueBear, best course of action at this time would be to complain to the powers that be. Even if its not enough to force a recall, maybe it will be enough that Yamaha will at least stock the ignition switches in their local warehouses.

Done, but with mixed emotions. Yamaha took care of my issue, rekeyed it, and evidently I was early enough that supplies were readily available.

Done, but with mixed emotions. Yamaha took care of my issue, rekeyed it, and evidently I was early enough that supplies were readily available.
Mixed emotions for sure, Im not laying any fault on my dealer, or Yamaha's customer service, they have both been as helpful as they can under circumstances.

Hey guys, first time I hear of this problem. Wonder if it applies to '07s.

Anyway, any known symptoms, like high mileage, intermittent problems before failure, etc? How about build dates? Thanks for the info.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Mixed emotions for sure, Im not laying any fault on my dealer, or Yamaha's customer service, they have both been as helpful as they can under circumstances.
Filled out the complaint, mixed emotions or not. If there is a defect it should be addressed for all owners, and the governemnt should launch an investigation.

I had two FJRs which my sons used for commuting to school a distance of 40 miles each way. One had ignition failure and had to be in the shop for three weeks waiting for a replacement from Japan. Then the other one exhibited a very bad case of the dreaded surge problem. It has been very inconvenient waiting for parts that are on "BACKORDER". I resolved the issues with Yamaha very easily.

I now have new bikes from a different manufacturer.

I also have a rear wheel, complete headlight assembly, scratched right and left plastic pannels for sale.