Ignition switch repair X1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutchless1

Reaction score
Just got off the phone where my bike has been laid up for several weeks now due to a short. Unfortunately Yamaha's tech people and the mechanics working on the bike were unable to locate it, so they have asked Yamaha to agree to a new wiring harness. Yamaha Motor Corp USA has done just that; given the Dealership doing the work the OK. I'm sure there are some who have had ignition switch failure will say they had a hard time locating a new replacment ignition switch for their FJR's, but what do you think the odds are to having a new 06 wiring harness sitting on a shelf? Although I am at a loss and can't ride the bike while it's out of service, I am glad Yamaha saw fit to have a new harness installed. I know I would have set things in motion to launch the bike if I were to know the old harness had been hacked up when I got the bike back.

I guess this is the first 06 I have heard about suffering this type of failure,and hopefully this will be the only one this happens to. Everytime I saw another story about someone loosing an ignition switch all I could do was think when was this going to happen to mine? Little did I know it would end up being the whole harness.

Be Safe, C1

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some bad news brother. Glad they're replacing the harness for you, but it'll be a major teardown. Hope they won't screw something up while fixing the short. I'd be there watching them like a hawk, but you might not have the time or the inclination.

Ask for a tech with prior FJR teardown experience, if possible. Or at least their best tech. Good luck man, and keep us posted.

JC

Last edited by a moderator: