FJRF003.0: Ignition Failures on FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil,
What relay are you using?
Palerider,

Here is the relay that I used. FYI, I ordered the wrong one, in that I meant to get one with a flange that I could use to bolt it down. This one doesn't have a flange. Oh well, I just zip tied it into place.

https://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...ame=255-2082-ND

I went with Ionbeams suggestion (I think it was Ionbeam...?) and got a 70A relay. Bigger is probably better in this application. Can't hurt anyway, and these things are fairly cheap.

Only problem with this particular relay, is that it uses a large female blade plug for the main power connections. It took me longer to locate those damned blades in town, than it took to do the entire repair job! :angry2:
Thanks.

Am on third ignition. 07 AE 14000+ miles

First ignition locked up...bike had to be towed.

Second ignition....quit while bike was operating and bike competely shut down, motor and electronics...bike had to be towed.

Yamaha is intalling third ignition now. Talked with Yamaha rep and got no recognition that problem was widespread. I am waiting to see how they handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost!!!!! Dodged a complete failure!! 2007 with 22k. I had time to kill today so I pulled out the ignition switch and disassembled it. The red wire solder was hanging on by a thread and the red wire insulation was discolored a little by the solder. The copper contact for the red and brown wire was also a little darker. The plastic was not melted. The wires were free from any tension. I will resolder the red wire and put it back together. I think its time for a relay!!!

Twice in CO and once in WI this summer it was dead when the key was turned on. I turned it several times and it came on. In WI, I sprayed it with Blaster and it worked fine since. I have been carrying my toggle switch kit just in case. Thanks forum

Posted from a PM from DancinBikerGirl-

I'm new to the "forum" (signed up today). Attempted to reply to the Ignition Failure thread. Got an error message that I'm not authorized to reply (perhaps because I'm so new?). Anyway here's MY story.

I have the 2007 ABS.

Failure occurred at 9500 miles.

Have a cable hooked to the battery for my heat garment that was installed at purchase. Had heated grips installed at about 5000 miles.

Warranty expired by about two months prior to failure.

One month ago riding about an hour from home (thankfully) and 30 minutes from the dealer where I bought the bike, going about 30 MPH in 2nd gear and suddenly no electrical. Every thing is DEAD. Coasted over to the side. One of the guys from the dealer (Skagit Power Sports, Burlington, WA) picked me up with a bike trailer. Spent 30 minutes right away in the shop trying to find which “fuse” was the problem. To no avail. Left the bike over night. After TWO hours of shop time, they call me and explained that there was a "broken wire" in the ignition. They had "no idea" how this could have happened. “Never heard of it before.” Total charged to me $160.00 for the “labor” and $40.00 for the pick up. Hope this helps.

Liz V.

Bellingham, WA

Just a note.

Just got Brodie's relay set-up. Was hoping for a nice quality piece. Well, let me tell you! This thing is everything I wanted it to be. Great quality materials and flawless assembly. That man knows his stuff! It is just how I would have made it if I had talent and intellect.

Thanks again. The rest of my electrical system will now be jealous.

paul from Minnesota

Over the past week or two, my 2006A (16,000 miles) ignition switch has on several occasions not worked in the normal "on" position. Moving the key back slightly brings the power on. I took it in and, of course, it worked perfectly at the dealer. The service manager said that unless they can get it to fail, they can't replace it under warranty. I mentioned that this was obviously a safety-related concern and that they might want to get ahead of it, given that the bike might fail under a critical situation, but they were adamant and suggested I contact Yamaha Customer Support. I did, and I got the same answer. They maintained that they knew nothing of this issue; never heard of it. I reported this site, and that many other owners reported the same problem, and that it was always the wiring harness pulling on the switch. I also brought up the safety issue. It seems to me they would want to avoid the obvious repercussions of someone going down because of this, particularly if they had already reported the issue and been refused by the dealer. No luck. Oh well, they better hope I don't have an accident. I'm sending a registered letter establishing my complaint, in case I have a problem.
I understand that they can't issue a recall or service advisory until complaints reach a certain level, but their refusal to acknowledge that they'd ever heard of this failure is maddening.
Really, I'd pull the bike into the stealership parking lot, grab my needle nose pliers, wrap the red wire with some tape to disguise the following, and grab that red wire going into the switch and jerk it out.

Then you have a failure they can see and have to fix.

:rolleyes: A friend of mine made up some of the relay devices and a bought one from him. I installed it in no time and look forward to years of trouble free ingnition switch riding.

Over the past week or two, my 2006A (16,000 miles) ignition switch has on several occasions not worked in the normal "on" position. Moving the key back slightly brings the power on. I took it in and, of course, it worked perfectly at the dealer. The service manager said that unless they can get it to fail, they can't replace it under warranty. I mentioned that this was obviously a safety-related concern and that they might want to get ahead of it, given that the bike might fail under a critical situation, but they were adamant and suggested I contact Yamaha Customer Support. I did, and I got the same answer. They maintained that they knew nothing of this issue; never heard of it. I reported this site, and that many other owners reported the same problem, and that it was always the wiring harness pulling on the switch. I also brought up the safety issue. It seems to me they would want to avoid the obvious repercussions of someone going down because of this, particularly if they had already reported the issue and been refused by the dealer. No luck. Oh well, they better hope I don't have an accident. I'm sending a registered letter establishing my complaint, in case I have a problem.
I understand that they can't issue a recall or service advisory until complaints reach a certain level, but their refusal to acknowledge that they'd ever heard of this failure is maddening.
Really, I'd pull the bike into the stealership parking lot, grab my needle nose pliers, wrap the red wire with some tape to disguise the following, and grab that red wire going into the switch and jerk it out.

Gentlemen, Ladies,

It's frustrating when you read something like this, and you have the same bike. Makes you wonder what you would do if your ignition switch failed. :blink:

Let me put my stick in the mud and try to stir up some clarity.

The author of the original post quoted above submitted it last April when Yamaha was still in a state of denial concerning this ignition switch issue. A lot has happened since then.

1. Several FJRForum members, myself included, have opened up our troubled ignition switches and have documented the various failures.

2. A significant number of owners have taken their bikes back to the dealers and forced the issue of ignition switch failure as being abnormal.
3. The NHTSA has opened an investigation concerning this very issue.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=108887&view=findpost&p=473384Ignition Switch Failures
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=108887&view=findpost&p=473384

4. Yamaha had indeed replaced many out of warranty ignition switches - even paid to have some of them rekeyed at the owners insistance.
Let me make this very clear...

To induce an obvious act of vandalism to try to get the switch replaced is not the way to go about it.

Fast forward to now...

Yamaha does indeed know about the ignition switch issue. This FJRForum has taken care of that. I was at the bike show last weekend and had a discussion with one of their representatives at the Yamaha pavilion. I was there at the two FJRs on the floor talking to a very interested party, promoting our bikes. Needles to say I also promoted, as one of the benefits of owning an FJR, the excellent online user group - FJRForum. While we were talking about the bike I got the Yamaha man to unlock and remove the side bags to help show off the bike. This gentleman parted company with the intent of visiting his Yamaha dealer - real soon.

It turns out "Mr Yamaha" is an owner himself, in fact he is on his third FJR. Of all the bikes he has at his disposal - He chose the FJR. After the gentleman left, our discussion touched on the problems with the ignition switch. Right away I identified myself as the guy fabricating the Relay Harnesses. I asked him if he knew about the FJRFORUM and he said they were up to speed on our discussions. He acknowledged there is an issue... and the FJR forum helped bring it to their attention. He said Yamaha is replacing switches out of warranty. The people in Japan are working on the problem. What Yamaha needs is the owners with a known (ignition switch) problem bring their bikes in to their dealers to have it looked at. The dealers are instructed to look at the whole bike. What kind of extra electrical loads, if any, are added to it, how it is added, what kind of shape the harnesses, terminals, and connectors are in; and to assess the general condition of the bike.

He told me that Yamaha uses that switch on several different bikes but only the FJR is showing this fault. Yamaha needs raw data collected by their service people along with the switches. In order for the engineers to make a proper fix they have to be able to replicate the failure. The same process happened with the ECU recall. Yamaha started getting complaints from some of the owners about the bike not performing properly at higher elevations so he was tasked with trying to replicate the problem. He and several technicians took FJRs out on the road and drove from sea level to several thousand feet with no performance issues. Yamaha still kept getting complaints. Finally after reading the posts here on the FJRForum, and evidently talking with some members, they found that some people were very conservative with their throttle hand. The original ECU takes an altitude sample when the bike is started and whenever the throttle is twisted past 1/4 turn. Some owners weren't "driving the bike" - they were starting off at low altitudes and putt putting up the hill never going beyond 1/4 throttle, and the ECU never took another sample. Once they realized their driving habits were different Yamaha was able to replicate the problem... Drive like an old man going up hill = bike runs like c**p at altitude. Yamaha took their findings and issued a recall.

In short his message is... Help us out. Bring us your failing bike. Give us the opportunity to do a proper assessment of the bikes and we will find out the root cause and do the right thing for our loyal owners. He also said what doesn't help is some guy barging in to his yamaha dealer, dangling a dead Ignition switch by its butchered leads, and demanding it be replaced. Naturally that man will get the cold treatment he deserves - its just human nature.

Here are my thoughts about this subject...

Since dissecting my ignition switch and finding the heat related problem, I have come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the second generation bike ignition switches. I think it is a marginal device, and when you increase the amperage running through it you increase the likelihood of a thermal runaway condition. I have only seen the dissected switches pictured here on the Forum, I've only pulled mine apart, but I am convinced that the thermal runaway is a major fault in the majority of the failures. As for the desoldering red or tan wires, I think heat generated from the high resistance softened the solder to a plastic state and the latent strain on the wire pulled it off the contact plate. I can't prove it - but it makes sense to me.

This is where Yamaha comes in, given enough raw data and failed switches I have confidence that the engineers at yamaha will be able to replicate the failure. Once that happens Yamaha will do as they have done in the past - issue a recall. Our job now is to give them the opportunity to gather that data. If your bike is showing signs of ignition switch failure, get it fixed! Take it to your dealer, go through the hassle to get a replacement. Yamaha will be that much closer to a solution.

Now, once it's fixed, a relay is the best way I know to keep that marginal switch from burning out again.

Mike (Patriot), I know how frustrated you can get reading these posts concerning this subject, just keep in mind the time line, and see the progress we are making. The fix will come, in the mean time... go out and ride! Enjoy this fine bike that Yamaha has brought to market. If your concerned about your ignition switch, get a relay installed; I'll build you one, or you can build one yourself if you are so inclined. The good thing about this Forum is if there is a problem with your bike, we are here to help. If your bike is doing great, we are here to cheer you on.

Take care brother. :rolleyes:

Brodie

Since dissecting my ignition switch and finding the heat related problem, I have come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the second generation bike ignition switches. I think it is a marginal device, and when you increase the amperage running through it you increase the likelihood of a thermal runaway condition. I have only seen the dissected switches pictured here on the Forum, I've only pulled mine apart, but I am convinced that the thermal runaway is a major fault in the majority of the failures. As for the desoldering red or tan wires, I think heat generated from the high resistance softened the solder to a plastic state and the latent strain on the wire pulled it off the contact plate. I can't prove it - but it makes sense to me.
This is where Yamaha comes in, given enough raw data and failed switches I have confidence that the engineers at yamaha will be able to replicate the failure. Once that happens Yamaha will do as they have done in the past - issue a recall. Our job now is to give them the opportunity to gather that data. If your bike is showing signs of ignition switch failure, get it fixed! Take it to your dealer, go through the hassle to get a replacement. Yamaha will be that much closer to a solution.

Now, once it's fixed, a relay is the best way I know to keep that marginal switch from burning out again.

Mike (Patriot), I know how frustrated you can get reading these posts concerning this subject, just keep in mind the time line, and see the progress we are making. The fix will come, in the mean time... go out and ride! Enjoy this fine bike that Yamaha has brought to market. If your concerned about your ignition switch, get a relay installed; I'll build you one, or you can build one yourself if you are so inclined. The good thing about this Forum is if there is a problem with your bike, we are here to help. If your bike is doing great, we are here to cheer you on.

Brodie

+1

I think Yamaha has behaved both reasonably and responsibly in the past, and I don't doubt that they will again WHEN they know what to do to fix the problem. It benefits no one to supply an incorrect solution.

That said, Yamaha increases the frustration level when, as has happened repeatedly, FJR owners call Yamaha customer service or go to a dealer and are told that Yamaha has never heard of this issue and that no one else has ever reported this problem.

This is more troublesome in light of the fact that in the meantime Yamaha seems to have taken a pro-active stance on providing a workaround and/or temporary fix for people who do experience the problem. That's actually pretty remarkable in this otherwise customer-service-challenged world, but there's apparently some disconnect at Yamaha in getting the word out to their customer service people and dealers.

Jeepers... I just read 17 pages of this BS and am wondering if it was really a wise decision to buy a Gen II FJR. I need my bikes to be dependable when on the road. I don't need to be worring about crap like this.

The larger question here is "how many units have NOT been affected?". This kind of information may not be attainable, at least not here.

Jeepers... I just read 17 pages of this BS and am wondering if it was really a wise decision to buy a Gen II FJR. I need my bikes to be dependable when on the road. I don't need to be worring about crap like this.
The larger question here is "how many units have NOT been affected?". This kind of information may not be attainable, at least not here.
Well, you could have bought a BMW. Oh, wait, those have catastrophic final drive failures (which BMW is denying, BTW). Instead get the new Kawi. Oh wait, those are having electrical system failures. Instead get a new Harley. Oh wait, those can't get out of the garage twice in a row. Instead get a new Moto Guzzi. Oh wait, those are Italian. Instead get a Gold Wing or an ST1300--not heard about any catastrophic failures on those. Oh wait, those are boring to the point of coma.

I think we all share your concern about reliability, but these are complex, highly specialized machines, and it would be surprising if there WEREN'T issues. The Gen I bikes had the tick. But unlike many other manufacturers, Yamaha steps up when there are issues.

As far as the ignition-switch issue, as you know if you've read this thread, there are several workarounds that seem to help. One is to make sure that the stress is relieved at the point of the ignition-switch wiring. Another is spraying some silicon into the switch to clean out any grunge. The third is Brodie's relay.

Really, in the big scheme of things, not that big of an issue. Is it a possible problem? Surely. Will it affect you? Maybe. Is it easily solved? Yes.

So, since you don't know if tomorrow you'll have the big heart attack, or get hit by a drunk, or do the slide o' life on black ice, just deal with it. Brodie makes a quality part for cheap that eliminates the issue. Case solved, now just ride, eat, drink, and love with abandon. :yahoo:

Gentlemen, Ladies,

It's frustrating when you read something like this, and you have the same bike. Makes you wonder what you would do if your ignition switch failed. :blink:

Let me put my stick in the mud and try to stir up some clarity.

The author of the original post quoted above submitted it last April when Yamaha was still in a state of denial concerning this ignition switch issue. A lot has happened since then.

1. Several FJRForum members, myself included, have opened up our troubled ignition switches and have documented the various failures.

2. A significant number of owners have taken their bikes back to the dealers and forced the issue of ignition switch failure as being abnormal.
3. The NHTSA has opened an investigation concerning this very issue.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=108887&view=findpost&p=473384Ignition Switch Failures
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=108887&view=findpost&p=473384

4. Yamaha had indeed replaced many out of warranty ignition switches - even paid to have some of them rekeyed at the owners insistance.
Let me make this very clear...

To induce an obvious act of vandalism to try to get the switch replaced is not the way to go about it.

Fast forward to now...

Yamaha does indeed know about the ignition switch issue. This FJRForum has taken care of that. I was at the bike show last weekend and had a discussion with one of their representatives at the Yamaha pavilion. I was there at the two FJRs on the floor talking to a very interested party, promoting our bikes. Needles to say I also promoted, as one of the benefits of owning an FJR, the excellent online user group - FJRForum. While we were talking about the bike I got the Yamaha man to unlock and remove the side bags to help show off the bike. This gentleman parted company with the intent of visiting his Yamaha dealer - real soon.

It turns out "Mr Yamaha" is an owner himself, in fact he is on his third FJR. Of all the bikes he has at his disposal - He chose the FJR. After the gentleman left, our discussion touched on the problems with the ignition switch. Right away I identified myself as the guy fabricating the Relay Harnesses. I asked him if he knew about the FJRFORUM and he said they were up to speed on our discussions. He acknowledged there is an issue... and the FJR forum helped bring it to their attention. He said Yamaha is replacing switches out of warranty. The people in Japan are working on the problem. What Yamaha needs is the owners with a known (ignition switch) problem bring their bikes in to their dealers to have it looked at. The dealers are instructed to look at the whole bike. What kind of extra electrical loads, if any, are added to it, how it is added, what kind of shape the harnesses, terminals, and connectors are in; and to assess the general condition of the bike.

He told me that Yamaha uses that switch on several different bikes but only the FJR is showing this fault. Yamaha needs raw data collected by their service people along with the switches. In order for the engineers to make a proper fix they have to be able to replicate the failure. The same process happened with the ECU recall. Yamaha started getting complaints from some of the owners about the bike not performing properly at higher elevations so he was tasked with trying to replicate the problem. He and several technicians took FJRs out on the road and drove from sea level to several thousand feet with no performance issues. Yamaha still kept getting complaints. Finally after reading the posts here on the FJRForum, and evidently talking with some members, they found that some people were very conservative with their throttle hand. The original ECU takes an altitude sample when the bike is started and whenever the throttle is twisted past 1/4 turn. Some owners weren't "driving the bike" - they were starting off at low altitudes and putt putting up the hill never going beyond 1/4 throttle, and the ECU never took another sample. Once they realized their driving habits were different Yamaha was able to replicate the problem... Drive like an old man going up hill = bike runs like c**p at altitude. Yamaha took their findings and issued a recall.

In short his message is... Help us out. Bring us your failing bike. Give us the opportunity to do a proper assessment of the bikes and we will find out the root cause and do the right thing for our loyal owners. He also said what doesn't help is some guy barging in to his yamaha dealer, dangling a dead Ignition switch by its butchered leads, and demanding it be replaced. Naturally that man will get the cold treatment he deserves - its just human nature.

Here are my thoughts about this subject...

Brodie
Brodie, points well taken and I stand now to correct my attitude on this matter

Thanx for the reply and being gentle, but firm with a newbie here

BTW, since the reports of failure for my '04 Gen I are low and seem to focus on dirty contacts and not broken wires, I plan to use the high tech recommended contact cleaner on my FJR if necessary if/when I experience a dead ignition switch being confident I can follow the lead from here and click the key on/off 50-100 times to get the bike back in operation. For the unlikely event of not being able to resurrect the switch, I now carry a repair kit in a zip lock bag consisting of a 50 amp toggle switch with two 24" wires stripped at the ends, 2 blue posilock taps, an xacto knife with new blade, and some electrical tape. I may add another switch, leads, and taps for the small wires in the switch also, just in case.

Thanx again, gang green,

Mike in Nawlins'

or an ST1300--not heard about any catastrophic failures on those. Oh wait, those are boring to the point of coma.

You forgot the ST1300 you can dread riding that thing above 90F or just burn your privates, and shins. The FJR Gen II has more than fixed that (and yes I had 11,000 miles on an '06 ST1300 and there is no comparison).

I had an '08 Harley and it has its heat issues from the rear cylinder but its gearing is so whacked out it might as well be a four speed, because using the 5th and 6th lugs that motor below 70 mph.

I have 14K on my '07 FJR with no ignition issues and I haven't cut the tie wrap at the ignition switch either. Yes, I've ordered the "Brodie relay" just to be safe. I believe the ignition switch is a real problem as noted by many riders, but there may also be a number of us not having a problem yet. Like the ECU which was real in my riding style, Yamaha stepped up. As far as a all around bike the FJR is a bike to be recommended.

Waiting for the rest of the snow to melt and go riding. Hopefully there will be a New Year's road conditions in South-Central Washington.

WRichStrom

My '07 A hasn't yet been affected...however, I haven't ridden since the temps dropped below 40 consistently.

I plan to assemble at least one of Brodie's bypass devices over the winter and add it to my tool kit (along with the instructions from the other posts).

Another point to consider if your dealership hasn't heard of this issue; The dealer I bought my bike from, and continue to do service with, is a small dealer. They only saw the FJR in their manufacturer catalog prior to one other person placing an order. The larger dealerships might be more aware of the FJR, but not knowledgeable in all of the issues. Patience people.... the ECU issue was resolved, this will be fixed too. Sucks if you've already had problems and had to shell out $$ for repairs :(

Well, I am happy to report that my '07 FJR1300A with 35K+ miles has not experienced (yet?) the infamous ignition switch failure.

I regularly spray/clean the inside of the switch (through the key hole) with contact cleaner followed by compressed air and WD40 or Silicone dry lube.

I have always worked towards running any heavy additional electrical loads through independent relayed circuits.

I relieved the tension on the IS wiring loom as soon as this issue was brought up on this forum.

I have also now fitted Brodie's great "IS Relay harness".

Nonetheless I continue to carry an IS bypass toggle switch assembly at all times, just in case. I sure prefer this problem to a say a final drive/electrical system meltdowns, etc!

I love this bike, and will alway have one in my garage no matter how many other bikes I may be lucky to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.