Taillight/brake Light Info Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a rally next weekend, where of course they do technical inspections to make sure everything is working.

And.......of course I did an impromptu ride to Nevada this last weekend in which both my taillights burned out (at different times), and one headlight went out. Well, good boyscout that I am, I had replacements on hand, but only ONE of each (Hey, I said good boyscout, not great), so I am still short one taillight bulb that I need to get in a hurry.

Question: Is the taillight/brake light bulb the FJR uses the same as the standard 1157 used in automotive applications? One of Gary McCoy's workers couldn't tell me for sure.

The Yammie bulb has 12V21/5W on it, so I am assuming its a 5W taillight, and 21W brake light? Is that the same wattage 1157 bulbs use?

I also had a spare 1157 laying around, but unfortunately it did not list wattage on the bulb or package. Does anybody know what wattage the 1157 bulb is rated at? The "taillight" filament looks quite a bit different than the Yammie bulb, but I suppose that could just be different manufacturers.

So, can I use a standard automotive 1157 bulb in the FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, can I use a standard automotive 1157 bulb in the FJR?
Can't check the 1157 number right now, but if this is correct I replaced both mine at Kragen with their standard auto replacement.

There is every indication that it is. For what it's worth, the 2057 is a HD replacement used in trucks and other high vibe environments.

BULB# # Voltage Amperage/Filament MSCD Hours/Watts ECE Ratings

1157 12.8/14 2.10/0.59 32/3 1200/5000

2057 12.8/14 2.10/0.48 32/2 1200/5000

2357 12.8/14 2.23/0.59 40/3 400/5000

7528 12.0/12 1.75/0.42 35/3 150/1500 21/5W

7225 12.0/12 1.75/0.33 35/1.2 150/1500 21/4W

MSCD is "Mean Spherical Candela", or "candlepower".

All the above have the same physical specs-the 2 lower numbers are motorcycle specific, and will better handle motorcycle duty.

Prof raddy-kilowatt

I don't know the number, but, when I went to the Yammi dealer to get 2 replacements (no one just replaces 1 when it burns out, right?), the specific model that was called for was out of stock, but, the parts mgr said it is just a generic dual filament bulb that he had in stock. When I replaced them, I noticed it was very bright and nothing happened when I hit the brake lever. Then, on a whim, I took the bulb out, spun it 180 degrees and reinstalled it and it worked fine. I didn't know you could install a light bulb backwards. :dntknw:

I think the 2 pins which hold the bulb into the socket are at different depths so that you Should not be able to get them in backwards. Must be a pretty deep socket on the FJR that will allow this.

And.......of course I did an impromptu ride to Nevada this last weekend in which both my taillights burned out (at different times), and one headlight went out.
No BEFORE you head out for that next rally, go back in and replace the other H4 headlight bulb (the one that didn't burn out).

I can just about guarantee you that 2nd bulb is about to go. They almost always seem to go out very close to one another. Replace it now, so you're not doing it at 3AM at the side of the road. In the rain.

Trust me. B)

Well thanks for all the help everybody, crisis diverted! :clap:

Especially you Radman, you provided precisely the information I was looking for. Here's a big wet one headed your way!

:airkiss: :friends:

Yes, I bet the standard 1157 will work fine, but based on the Radman's data, I wanted to stick to stock 5/21 wattage. So off to the local AutoZone I went where I struck gold:

RearBulb011.jpg

Perfecto!

As you can see below, the stock vs. replacent bulbs aint exactly identical, but close enough. Right now I have a brand new Yammie, and brand new replacement Sylvania in there. So we shall see how each lasts.

Yammie OEM bulb on left, replacement Sylvania on right:

RearBulb008.jpg

QUOTE (SkooterG @ Sep 26 2005, 02:06 PM) And.......of course I did an impromptu ride to Nevada this last weekend in which both my taillights burned out (at different times), and one headlight went out. 

No BEFORE you head out for that next rally, go back in and replace the other H4 headlight bulb (the one that didn't burn out).

I can just about guarantee you that 2nd bulb is about to go. They almost always seem to go out very close to one another. Replace it now, so you're not doing it at 3AM at the side of the road. In the rain.

Trust me. 
As usual, most excellent advice, however...........

The one replacement I have for the headlight, is the stock OEM bulb that I took out when I put two new Philips Vision+50 in there after one of the original went kaput. So its got a good 1+ years of use on it already. Well, I ordered a new set of the Philips from Murph, but that will take a week for them to arrive. So tonight I also bought a standard H4 halogen for $10 at AutoZone to act as a 2nd replacement if needed. Hopefully, that won't happen.

Lesson learned: Dry lake beds combined with fjr terminal velocities are not good on electrical components.

Gerlachfest05015.jpg

Thanks for all the help everybody! Man, this forum is a great resource.

Ok Radman, now for your encore......

What about the rear turn signal bulb? It looks like a standard 1156, and has 21W written on the OEM bulb.

So does the standard automotive 1156 go in there? Or you got some motocycly pacific bulb for the application?

Git busy Prof. Raddy-kilowatt! Get the anser correct, and we might just promote you to Prof. Raddy-gigawatt!

I'm not sure if this has any relevance, but I changed all of the rear lights to LED's with a load equalizer, from Kisan. I'm still in the process of searching for QUALITY LED's for the front turn signals. OEM bulbs are #7440 & have a snap in type of securement. Local products are junk, so if anyone knows location of a quality unit, please post. Thanks !

For LED replacements, have you looked at "brightledlights.com". They seeem to have a broad selection. I expect I'll be ordering from them soon.

For LED replacements, have you looked at "brightledlights.com". They seeem to have a broad selection. I expect I'll be ordering from them soon.
No, I have not looked, but I do stock them. They will not be as bright as the incandescant bulbs you have now.

I used a standard automotive replacement for one of my tail bulbs that burnt out early and all has been well. I know a vibration-resistant version is called for but I couldn't get one instantly. So far it has lasted about as long as the original bulb!

:eek: The 1157 bulb will fit the socket, the pins are the same orientation, BUTT, the 1157 will only be a little over half the brightness as the stock bulb. Mine burnt out early on (`03) and I had numerous 1157`s lying around so I tried them.

Something about the `extra' filiment in the stock bulbs I would guess?

after reviewing this thread, took a few notes and while at my local wallyworld discovered that they were out of stock on all my "first choice" options.

not being picky, picked up these GE NIGHTHAWK bulbs which claim to be 20% brighter:

rearbulb.JPG

before replacing both OEM bulbs, first replaced just the burned out one and compared brightness:

- Running light ....No difference, identical IMO

- Brake light ...Yes, new bulb brighter, ....not sure the advertised 20%, more like 19.31415% :rolleyes:

don't believe these bulbs are heavy duty, ...doubt I'll set any hour record with them but they work fine and give a bit more brake intensity