Tour of the Pyrenees 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Stef,

We're having so much fun now planning for the trip, that it's going to be "forever" for Bob and I to wait for May 24, 2008!

We're going to stay Sunday and Monday nights at Barcelo Hotel Sants; Plaza Dels Paisos Catalans. It is located above Sants Metro and Barcelona Central Train Station, so it's perfect for catching the RENFE train from the BCN Aeropuerto.

Hotel is between Catalonia Congress Palace and Fira de Barcelona; we'll just pick up targeta multiviatge for the Metro.

We also will spend our last night, June 3 at the Sants. We will wait to book Tuesday night May 27 in the event that the Italian FJR Crew will be riding in on Tuesday. If you are arriving Tuesday, we will book our stay wherever you are at.

I've told Roberta Steward of Ad-Mo rentals that we will be picking up the bikes at 8am on Wednesday the 28th. Bob and I will ride south to Tarragona for lunch to get ourselves familiarized with the BMW F800ST's and then meet you at 5pm.

Adios, Donaldo

Hola RatoneMuerto,

You and your wife would be very comfortable aboard a BMW R1200RT and Ad-Mo rents them for a week for 799 Euros.

I have a Harley-Davidson bagger and a R1200RT packs just as much gear and is much more comfortable; more power!

If you needed convincing, the airlines are running cheap flights right now between DFW and PHX, you and the wife could fly into Sky Harbor and I would pick you up. You two could do a 300 mile loop on my R1150RT with me accompanying you on my FJR. The R1150RT and R1200RT differences are only 50cc and a more angular body styling. Close ponies!

Hasta la vista, Don

Chandler, Arizona

Cell: 602-722-0427

Don

Thanks for sharing the rental rate information. :)

At least now other folks can get a feel for the actual cost of renting their bikes in Spain.

From what I read, Ad-Mo's Roberta seems to be on the ball and communication with her outfit should be no problem at all.

I'll let you know about any hotel arrangements in BCN that I may be making so that you and Bob can get rooms in the same hotel for the night before

the Tour.

Stef

Hola Stef,

Both Bob and I purchased "The Rough Guide Map - The Pyrenees & Andorra" with a very, detailed scale of 1:250,000.

El Jefe, you have done a masterful work of routing. We have the route you described highlighted, and it's a real beauty!

Roberta is a great one! Turns out she had previously worked for Edelweiss in Wrightwood, California and was part of the team that booked myself and other AZ Beemers for the EBT trips to Andalucia in 2006 and High Alpine Tour in 2004. Small world that both Ad-Mo and Edelweiss are both located in same, small Southern California mountain village.

We both finally decided to stay with the same BMW's we ride in Estados Unidos - R1150RT for me and R1200RT for Bob.

We'll still keep Tuesday May 28 open from hotel bookings, it would be nice to be at the same hotel with the Italian crew.

Saludos, Don

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you sitting on the fence on Stef's Tour of the Pyrenees: I spoke to Darleen of Ad-Mo Rentals and she had just gotten off the phone with Barcelona. Bob got the BMW R1200RT that he wanted, but it was the very last R1200RT available in Barcelona for the period of of teerex51's tour dates. I was unable to get my first bike request, the BMW R1150RT; but, was assigned a R1200GS instead. There's just one R1200GS remaining, you'd better move muy pronto!

Don

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not surprised they're running out of bikes already.

Meanwhile I've started firming up hotel reservations for an estimated group size of 20 (I took a shot in the dark and booked 8 singles and 6 doubles).

Anybody who's interested should really get in touch with Ad-Mo or the other rental firms ASAP and secure their rides.

Stef

Stef's photographs and videos are fantastic, but I needed some more Pyrenees viewing to tide me over until next May!

www.bestbikingroads.com has some great Pryrenees routes laid out through Spain, France and Andorra for motorcycles.

www.rocinantestravels.com is the Ride Report of a Norwegian couple. They rode the same routes as I did in Andalucia.

https://www.btinternet.com/~ultrablade/index.html is reporting from a British rider on his Pyrenees motorcycle trips.

Thanks again Stef for giving we Arizonans some fun-filled moments planning for the trip. Can't wait to let the clutch out!

Stef's photographs and videos are fantastic, but I needed some more Pyrenees viewing to tide me over until next May!
Thanks again Stef for giving we Arizonans some fun-filled moments planning for the trip. Can't wait to let the clutch out!
I know the feeling. I'm busy reading guidebooks and poring over maps both for this trip and for my fall trip to the USA. That should be enough to get me through the winter.

I'll be riding down from England on the 28th and will not arrive until quite late so I'm not sure if I'll be able to join everyone for Paella and a beer but I'm looking forward to riding with you all.

Dave

Greetings Dave,

Very nice to hear from another rider participating in Stef's Pyrenees ride! I am wearing out my map and my copy of The Rough Guide to The Pyrenees. I also bought Michael Brein's Guide to Barcelona Public Transportation; great asset!

Dave, are you coming to the American Southwest? If you are please call me or post me at the addresses shown below.

Bob and I'll set up an Arizona ride for you, maybe the Devil's Highway '666'! Another AZ attraction is to meet SkooterG!

Best regards, Don

[email protected]

H: 480-917-3863; C: 602-722-0427

You'd have a bike to ride: Choose from my FJR, BMW RT, BMW GS, Kawi KLR650 or Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide.

Greetings Dave,
Dave, are you coming to the American Southwest?
Hi Don

Thank you for your kind offer. I'm joining a tour organised by FlyRide USA in NE Oregon looping SW through California to Death Valley and then on to the Grand Canyon and returning through Utah and Yellowstone. You can find the full itinerary here.

A rest day is planned for the 17th September at the Grand Canyon and I was thinking of heading down towards Sedona but other suggestions are always welcome.

See you soon

Dave

Hi Dave,

You are going to have a great ride through the American West! FlyRide USA has put together an outstanding itinerary.

If you do decide to ride to Sedona on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 please give me as much advance notice as you can. I will post this ride to both www.azbeemers.org/forum where I am a Club Director and to www.fastour.us where I am a very active Tour Leader. These two clubs host weekly rides that many of the names that you see here participate in: such as Badcat, SkooterG, FJRobert, vectervp1 and myself. Naturally, your luncheon in Sedona will be on me please.

Do you have ventilated riding gear such as the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants, or hot weather protective riding gear made by other makers such as Frank Thomas? Your trip from Saturday 9/13 through Saturday 9/20, Furnace Creek, California to Vernal, Utah is going to be a real cooker! Anticipate 45 Celsius in Death Valley, 40 in Las Vegas.

The question above may perhaps be rather silly, as I've rode BMW bikes throughout England, Wales and the Isle of Man!

Hasta la vista

Don

(....)
Very nice to hear from another rider participating in Stef's Pyrenees ride! I am wearing out my map and my copy of The Rough Guide to The Pyrenees. I also bought Michael Brein's Guide to Barcelona Public Transportation; great asset!

(...)
Glad to see the anticipation for our tour is building up. :yahoo:

You'll be pleased to know that we already have confirmed reservations at the Hesperia Hotel in Andorra La Vella, the Bujaruelo in Torla (2 nights) and the Husa Noain in Pamplona (2 nights). The accommodation for the first night of the tour is still open but everything's under control.

By spending 2 nights in Torla and 2 in Pamplona we will be able to drop our luggage in our rooms and enjoy an unencumbered full-day ride the next day.

OK, back to your maps guys :lol:

Stef

If you do decide to ride to Sedona on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 please give me as much advance notice as you can. I will post this ride to both www.azbeemers.org/forum where I am a Club Director and to www.fastour.us where I am a very active Tour Leader. These two clubs host weekly rides that many of the names that you see here participate in: such as Badcat, SkooterG, FJRobert, vectervp1 and myself. Naturally, your luncheon in Sedona will be on me please.
Do you have ventilated riding gear such as the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants, or hot weather protective riding gear made by other makers such as Frank Thomas? Your trip from Saturday 9/13 through Saturday 9/20, Furnace Creek, California to Vernal, Utah is going to be a real cooker! Anticipate 45 Celsius in Death Valley, 40 in Las Vegas.
The week in the desert was the one part that concerned me (my original plan was to rent a FJR from them and spend a month in the PNW but this trip looked to good to miss). I have ventilated gear (both textile and leather) but I'm not sure how effective they'll be in the higher tempreratures so I'll have a look at the Joe Rocket gear, luckily I have a dealer nearby (the downside being they are also a dealer for MV and one day I'm going to be tempted). I think I may be doing a lot of my riding in the early hours and at dusk but that may have its own problems. Its all part of the adventure.

Having traveled all the way to the US I don't think I'll be making to much use of the rest days and I'm not fit enough to hike down into the Grand Canyon so I'll definitely go for a ride on the Wednesday. Sedona was mentioned by a colleague at work but all others ideas are welcome. We can talk about them over a beer or two in May while watching the sun set over the mountains :)

Once I have the details from FlyRide I'll post them on the forum just in case any one wants to join me for a days ride, It'll be nice to meet up with some of the people I have got to know through their posts. I'm also celebrating my 50th on the trip so there will be an invitation for anyone who can make it to Joseph, OR on the 26th September.

Dave

Glad to see the anticipation for our tour is building up. :yahoo: You'll be pleased to know that we already have confirmed reservations at the Hesperia Hotel in Andorra La Vella, the Bujaruelo in Torla (2 nights) and the Husa Noain in Pamplona (2 nights). The accommodation for the first night of the tour is still open but everything's under control.

By spending 2 nights in Torla and 2 in Pamplona we will be able to drop our luggage in our rooms and enjoy an unencumbered full-day ride the next day.

OK, back to your maps guys :lol:

Stef

Hotels are now in the GPS, thanks Stef. Now all I have to do is find an interesting but quick route down to the Costa Brava. South of Clermont Ferrand via Millau is pretty straight-forward on the A75 but finding a route that avoids Paris could be difficult. Oh well the Peripherique can be fun on a good day.

Dave

Bon dia,

Looks like you've done a great job setting this up and to anyone with an inkling on going, I'd say don't pass it up. I went on a tour last Summer with Iberian Moto Tours (www.imtbike.com) through the Pyrenees and it was amazing (see the write up in the November issue of Rider magazine). Started and ended in Barcelona, culminating with the Catalunya GP race. I did the whole trip on a 650GS and while it didn't have the horsies out of the curves like the 800 and 1000's in the group, they couldn't shake me in the twisties. And all the roads in the Pyrenees are twisties! The roads are race track smooth. The scenery is incredible and the people were very friendly. I really miss the food, the mid-morning cafe con leche, the pa amb tomaquet......but I've at least been able to find good Spanish cheese here and I can now make a mean Crema Catalan.

Feel free to browse through my pics here:

https://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/eri...ya%20GP%20Tour/

and here:

https://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/eri...20IMT%20Photos/

I can't wait to go back!

Adeu,

Eric

Stef, not this year, but maybe the next-I have wanted to return to Europe, and seeing this area with someone who is familiar with local customs would be a real plus. If you plan a similar trip in 09, likely seeing me and the SO for it, but for the 08 trip, all I can say is wish I were there, and have a good, safe ride!

Stef, not this year, but maybe the next-I have wanted to return to Europe, and seeing this area with someone who is familiar with local customs would be a real plus. If you plan a similar trip in 09, likely seeing me and the SO for it, but for the 08 trip, all I can say is wish I were there, and have a good, safe ride!
Rad, if you're thinking of coming over in 2009 for the Pyrenees Tour I'll set it up for you and your SO even if there are no other takers (which I don't think will happen). Word.

You'll see a different Europe than the one you saw from your M4 Sherman tank :blink: back in 1944 as you were gallantly chasing the Panzergrenadiers across the Rhine and tossing Hershey Bars to the kids.

We now have TV, cellphones and don't have to sell our seesters any more (well, only on special occasions) :p :p :p (j/k bro :D )

Eric, I see the Catalan way of life has rubbed off on you.

Thanks for the endorsement. I feel exactly the same way about the area, the roads and the people.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll do this ride every year (and even twice a year if I get the chance). This is what riding in Europe used to be...

Stef

Dear radman: I do wish that you were going on this trip, I always get a real big kick out of your posts to the FJR Forum!

Dear Dave: Your itinerary is fantastic, don't worry about the heat. We Zonie desert rats have survived it. Sedona is #1!

Dear Eric: Thanks a million for your great pictures, muchas gracias. You've just poured more fuel on a fire for this trip!

Dear Stef: Thanks for locking down Andorra la Vella, Torla and Pamplona. Let Bob and I know when to send our money!

Pyrenees M/C Trip Planners Info: Booked our room at Hotel Barcelo Sants through www.hotels.com and paid $261.80 USD for two nights, for two guys, with two twin beds; nights of Sunday-Mon, May 25 & May 26. We'll wait for word from Stef where to book at for Tuesday night May 27 and Tuesday night June 3. Found out that Hotel Barcelo Sants is at one of the stops for the Barcelona Bus Turistic and we may well use that instead of buying a Metro Subway 2-day pass.

My AZ Beemers buddy Uri Schumm and I used the Bus Turistic in Madrid after we rode BMW's throughout Andalucia, Spain for a week in February of 2006. Nice open air double-deck buses that stop at all the city's prinicipal attractions.

One of the nicest things about Bus Turistic is the great viewing of "muy bonita" Spanish senoritas. Viva Penelope Cruz!

Hi Stef,

I just learned about this trip to the Pyrenees and just spoke with Don Stanley about it. I'm going to seriously look at the costs involved as I could make time for it. If I came my wife and I would probably get there a week before the riding begins so she could see Barcelona. Then she'd fly back and I'd start riding with you all.

I just wanted to let you know this. Do you have a limit on the number of riders? Thanks.

Reid Hester