Ticking Sound Byte

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 06 sounds just like that at about 2700 rpm not as loud though I would suspect some valve noise is expected noticed it right away though not getting worse after 3500 miles.

Anybody put enough miles on an '06 to see if the ugly ticking might occur?
I just got my break-in service done and now I notice ticking when I get off of the throttle. This consistently happens when after I first take off and the bike has been sitting up over night. I am going to take it back to the dealer and see what the deal is.

Hey all im thinking of gettiing an 05 fjr with 12000 or so miles on it, after reading all of this about ticking im not sure if I should still by it or not, from what I have read if the bike doesent tick after a certain amout of miles I will be safe, is this right? So I guess the best thing for me to do is have them start the bike and listen for the tick, if theres no tick the bikes ok? is there anything else I need to pay close attention to before I buy a 05 fjr?

Anybody put enough miles on an '06 to see if the ugly ticking might occur?
I just got my break-in service done and now I notice ticking when I get off of the throttle. This consistently happens when after I first take off and the bike has been sitting up over night. I am going to take it back to the dealer and see what the deal is.
Could be your hearing the fuel injectors?

I'm wondering if there's any correlation between ticking and MotoMan style break in, or quick switch to synthetic oil?

I'm also still wondering what Yamaha is fixing. The sound clip I listened to sounded a lot like it could be resolved with cam chain tensioning.

Anyone who's had the warranty repair able to be specific about what was fixed?

Dear Ticker victims,

Does anybody have a copy of these infamous files? The original links do not work anymore. If recovered, I could host these files at my place and post new links here.

Any pointers to alternative ticker recordings also appreciated!

Thanks,

Grommit

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to hear these as well.
The zombies have arisen again
wink.png

One person responding to a thread that is 3 years old asking about a sound byte that is 10 years old. The most common sound recordings from several people of the '04-'05 era are no longer available, the links are dead.

From Yamaha: To diagnose over tight valve stem seals leading to valve guide wear and subsequent valve stem rattling , pull the head pipes and look for oil traces. Oil = issue, no oil = no problem. From me -- put a mechanics stethoscope on the head pipes, right where they leave the engine, then at the cam chain tensioner cover and on the cyl #4 end of the valve cover. You will know without a doubt where the noise is coming from.

There are a few on YouTube if you do a search. I had a listen to a couple of them and quite frankly, I can't hear anything. On the other hand, I have pretty poor hearing in some frequency ranges.

This is an .AVI clip, plays with QuickTime (and many other players). Close-up starts at 0:09 seconds.

Video may take half a minute to load, then click the Play button:

https://home.comcast.net/~bvw13/images/bl_ticker.avi

Try these, especially the .WAV files.

https://fjrforum.com/misc/ticksound/

Computer speakers are mostly junk, for stuff like this.

You really want to plug in some high-quality earbuds (with volume OFF) and turn the sound level up slowly.

(Borrow the earbuds.
coolsmiley02.gif
)

Cheers,

Infrared

Thanks for this thread. I was worried that my '04 might be "ticking", but it sounds nothing like this! *sigh of relief!*