The Secret SV-650/1000 Suzuki Owners Society

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys....Not strictly an SV question....

but... since you're into Zuke's....

I'm looking for a smaller version of the FJR...

One suggestion was the GSX650F, basically the 650 Bandit renamed....

Had a lowered 1200 Bandit, looking for something a little smaller sizewise (not necessarily speed wise>><BG>)

The GSX650F is already low enfu, I could just add risers and some luggage.

And I think it would work ok on the gravel roads here in Texas....

I'm only 5'6" with a 29-30 " inseam.

The GSX650F looks nice, but I think it's way too much sportbike seating... as in short rides only.

Thots?

Thanks

Mary
Burgman? I'm serious.

Ok guys....Not strictly an SV question....

but... since you're into Zuke's....

I'm looking for a smaller version of the FJR...

One suggestion was the GSX650F, basically the 650 Bandit renamed....

Had a lowered 1200 Bandit, looking for something a little smaller sizewise (not necessarily speed wise>><BG>)

The GSX650F is already low enfu, I could just add risers and some luggage.

And I think it would work ok on the gravel roads here in Texas....

I'm only 5'6" with a 29-30 " inseam.

The GSX650F looks nice, but I think it's way too much sportbike seating... as in short rides only.

Thots?

Thanks

Mary
I have zero experience with the GSX650F, but this article, which appears in the most recent issue of Sport Rider, may be of some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks.... what I meant was maybe the GSX650F would work.

The SV650SF looks to be a bit too sporty for me.

Burgman.... ummm naw, although I know they're ok, not exactaly what I'm looking for.

Mary

thanks.... what I meant was maybe the GSX650F would work.The SV650SF looks to be a bit too sporty for me.

Burgman.... ummm naw, although I know they're ok, not exactaly what I'm looking for.

Mary
If you were responding to my post, the article is about the GSX, not the SV. GSX appears to have "normal" handlebars and, with them, a more upright riding position than the SV-S. Seat height? I don't know. Never sat on one. If you check the Suzuki site and compare the seat heights of the GSX and the SV, if the GSX's seat height is about the same or lower than the SV, you may have found your bike.

If you weren't responding to my post, then....... nevermind. :unsure:

Move along....

Nothing to see here...

thanks.... what I meant was maybe the GSX650F would work.The SV650SF looks to be a bit too sporty for me.

Mary
If you were responding to my post, the article is about the GSX, not the SV. GSX appears to have "normal" handlebars and, with them, a more upright riding position than the SV-S. Seat height? I don't know. Never sat on one. If you check the Suzuki site and compare the seat heights of the GSX and the SV, if the GSX's seat height is about the same or lower than the SV, you may have found your bike.

If you weren't responding to my post, then....... nevermind. :unsure:

Move along....

Nothing to see here...
Actually, I was.... sometimes my brain threads get a bit twisted...<G>

mary

not a SV but better!! loads of fun

tl1000r.jpg

tl1000rgasbottle2.jpg

My wife has an 2006 SV Standard that she wants to use for touring. We have changed the suspension, seat, the bars, and she has a big National Cycle shield. She likes the bike a lot.

Only one problem, she has Audiovox envy. I have found a site or two that document AVCC installs on VStrom 650s but none for the SV. Has anyone ever added an Audiovox to an SV650? Can anyone point me to a good site on the internet. I have installed several Audiovox cruise controls and will improvise if I have to.

Ross

I have an Sv and it is a hoot. May want to do some research on svrider.com . They have tons of great info. Good luck and let me know so you can do my sv... :p

My wife has an 2006 SV Standard that she wants to use for touring. We have changed the suspension, seat, the bars, and she has a big National Cycle shield. She likes the bike a lot.
Only one problem, she has Audiovox envy. I have found a site or two that document AVCC installs on VStrom 650s but none for the SV. Has anyone ever added an Audiovox to an SV650? Can anyone point me to a good site on the internet. I have installed several Audiovox cruise controls and will improvise if I have to.

Ross
There's no info that I am aware of at SVRider.com for installing CC on the SV. That said, I'll be looking at the VStrom site for info. The electrical systems have to be nearly identical.

Nope, nothing on SVrider.com. Some pointers to the VStrom site but nothing SV specific. I suspect the hard part is finding a place to put the servo. I am thinking about under the passenger seat with a fender cut out to allow the servo to set lower. It would have to be sealed to protect against tire spray. Servo location and throttle connection should be the hard parts.

Ross

Ross
There's no info that I am aware of at SVRider.com for installing CC on the SV. That said, I'll be looking at the VStrom site for info. The electrical systems have to be nearly identical.

I was thinking of getting a sv650 naked and trading in the fjr, reason is I dont do any two up riding and I think the sv would be funner on the back roads.

I know im going to miss the power of the fjr but comfort wise how bad or good is the sv? what else am I going to miss if I switch to a sv?

Short list:

You'll miss the wind protection if you're doing LD rides.

While the naked version has a more upright riding position than the S, your legs will be tucked more than on the FJR.

Chain maintenance.

On the other hand, my SV gets much more seat time than my FJR. Put another 150 miles (with smiles) on it this morning. It's a lot of fun.

On the other, other hand, I'll keep the FJR for the long haul. Hard to beat the feejer for gobbling up mega-distances and delivering you to your destination in a sporting fashion while still being able to enjoy yourself once you arrive.

I do maybe 1 to 2 long rides a year 300 mile plus, other than that its normally 150 miles a day. So it looks like im going to sit on a sv and think real hard about it.

I do maybe 1 to 2 long rides a year 300 mile plus, other than that its normally 150 miles a day. So it looks like im going to sit on a sv and think real hard about it.
The SV and the FJR each do different things better and with much different price tags. It just depends on what your needs are, what your body can tolerate, and how the ergonomics work for you. I'm 64 and getting pretty creaky, so comfort is important to me. The longest ride I've done on the SV was about 370 miles each day for two days and I was definitely hurting after only a few hours each day. Butt and legs were aching and it was more work to constantly steer the bike compared to the FJR on the highway. In contrast, I've done that same Miami to N. Georgia trip in a SINGLE 10-hour day on the FJR and have felt a lot less pain. I don't mind riding the SV on the highway for a half-hour or so each way to get to and from some good twisties, but longer rides on highway get uncomfortable for me. The SV is great fun in tight stuff where flickability and light weight make it easier and more fun to ride than the FJR. Also, unless I need the cargo space, I usually take the SV for in-town errands, lunch runs, etc. On the other hand, even though the SV gets me about 10 mpg more than the FJR, for any significant highway runs it's the FJR for sure.

Short list:
You'll miss the wind protection if you're doing LD rides.

While the naked version has a more upright riding position than the S, your legs will be tucked more than on the FJR.

Chain maintenance.
I seen a thread over on SVRider that someone was working on a belt-drive conversion-that would be nice! I found a place across the pond that made them for the 1st generation SV, but not the current ones :(

Picking up a low (300) mileage '07 650N tonight! (Replacement for my DR650)

Will get a better feel for it after some more seat time. Riding position didn't seem too bad, maybe add some 1" bar risers.

Wind protection-aftermarket has some windscreens available, just depends on your needs.

I seen a thread over on SVRider that someone was working on a belt-drive conversion-that would be nice! I found a place across the pond that made them for the 1st generation SV, but not the current ones :(

Picking up a low (300) mileage '07 650N tonight! (Replacement for my DR650)

Will get a better feel for it after some more seat time. Riding position didn't seem too bad, maybe add some 1" bar risers.

Wind protection-aftermarket has some windscreens available, just depends on your needs.
Congrats! You'll love it.

I saw the thread on the belt drive as well. Not much info out there on it.

Chain maintenance isn't too bad. I'm kind of anal about it and thoroughly clean the chain with kerosene & lube with Maxima Chain wax every 500 miles, but I also know guys who just spray their chains with lube every once in a while and that's about it. They put on new sprockets & chain every year or so. Hell, they're not very expensive.

Enjoy the SV!

Yikes!! Who went off roading Geezer? You or your daughter? I trust from your tone that everyone is alright?
That was my daughter Danielle. She had a few minor bruises, but walked away. Thanks for asking. Good gear saved her from some serious hurting.

I was planning to fix the SV, but the more I looked at it the worse it got. The frame is cracked where the swingarm attaches, the rear subframe is squashed, and all of the plastic is damaged.
Glad your daughter is alright. Tell her if she wants to have her bike looking like that again, take up hare scrambles. I hope this experience hasn't put a damper on her joy of riding. We need more gals to share our passion.

So I have to ask... do your SV secret society have a secret handshake like this secret society does?
The Secret Handshake
That web site is hilarious! It took me a second to be sure it was a parody since those people take themselves so seriously. Did you see the one (and they were dead serious) about how Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars was brainwashing young girls into masterbating. Everytime one of those nut jobs gets caught with a young boy or a hooker, I wonder how the public can be so stupid to keep following (and sending their money) to the con men. If this is too political for the forum, I appologize.

The SV and the FJR each do different things better and with much different price tags. It just depends on what your needs are, what your body can tolerate, and how the ergonomics work for you. I'm 64 and getting pretty creaky, so comfort is important to me. The longest ride I've done on the SV was about 370 miles each day for two days and I was definitely hurting after only a few hours each day. Butt and legs were aching and it was more work to constantly steer the bike compared to the FJR on the highway. In contrast, I've done that same Miami to N. Georgia trip in a SINGLE 10-hour day on the FJR and have felt a lot less pain. I don't mind riding the SV on the highway for a half-hour or so each way to get to and from some good twisties, but longer rides on highway get uncomfortable for me. The SV is great fun in tight stuff where flickability and light weight make it easier and more fun to ride than the FJR. Also, unless I need the cargo space, I usually take the SV for in-town errands, lunch runs, etc. On the other hand, even though the SV gets me about 10 mpg more than the FJR, for any significant highway runs it's the FJR for sure.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Have an '06 SV650 that is a blast in the twisties and is a great commuter bike, but 30 minutes in the saddle is all I can handle. Tried the Gel Saddle, but it didn't do a damn thing. I have a set of taller and wider bars, but I need to lengthen the cables and brake lines, so it may be while before they're on. I can live with it's faults, love it's strengths and it compliments the FJR well!

]