The Secret SV-650/1000 Suzuki Owners Society

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure I'll share too:

This is my wife's 2001 SV650. Since this photo was taken we have added an Ohlin's shock and had GP suspension put the internals of GSXR750 into the forks and machined the caps to allow for preload and rebound adjusters.

SV650_1.jpg

And here I am learning how to use the new suspenion at Zalusky Advanced Riding School.

21017801-DSC_6334.jpg

Incidentally, since we're talking about Magna's .. wifey had a 1995 VF750 prior to the SV650 which she regrets selling:

Magna.jpg

It's blue because I crashed it once and had to repaint it. Cobra slipons with a K&N and the DRP jet-kit - this bike really hauled ass. Suspension left a lot to be desired, and when she was ready to move improve her skills the bike was holding her back, so we got her the SV. She does great on the track, and the instructors have pulled me aside to tell me to "ride like her" because she's doing things (body position, head swivel, etc) right. Turns out her main mental block with street riding is sand/gravel in the corners so she doesn't use the SV as intended. Whenever a Magna pops up on Craigslist ... she harbors dreams of finding another.

Hmmm... Imagine if Honda put out a new VF1200C as their answer to the VMax ?? Hmm... nah, will never happen as most of the profits for Honda are in selling 150cc bikes in China, India and Indonesia.

So, now that I found "The" bike, the SV's gotta go. If anyones interested it's an 08 650n with 300 (no typo) miles on it. I bought it at an insurance auction last year with a very mildly tweaked front end and did the full GSXR conversion over the winter complete with carbon fender, galfer lines, 320mm/6 pot calipers, etc. etc.....Do I hear 5k? If theres any interest I'll try to post up some pics.....

Back in early 2007 I purchased a Progressive Suspension 420-1041 shock from a fellow who used it on his '01 SV650 race bike for a while then switched to an Ohlins. I bought the adjustment tool to go with it too. Unfortunately for me the shock was made for the first gen SV's and won't fit my '04. It's been sitting in a box waiting to go on ebay ever since. If anyone with a first gen SV is interested in it, I'll part with it and the adjustment tool for what I paid for them.

New FJR owner here, picked up a really nice 2008 model last month.

Good to see I'm not alone in owning an FJR and an SV650.

Mine is a 2002 trackbike only that I picked up a couple of years ago for $2700. !!

stock engine, race bodywork, Ohlins Shock, 01 gsxr 1000 front end with Attack Racing billet aluminum triple clamps, I bought it just as pictured.

I had to re spring and revalve it for my weight and added 2 inch rise clip ons.

903948358_XdrAd-L.jpg

It runs good and handles well, going to try and raise the rear ride height a bit more this year though.

I used to race from about 90 to 93 and got hooked back in by an old racing buddy into doing a track day.

I didn't want to crash the Superduke so I found the SV, ended up trading the Superduke for the FJR.

Here's some video from Heartland Park Topeka, only 65 miles from the house here.

I ride Intermediate class because the 1000's really blast me on the straights !!

I will ride Advanced if it's not too crowded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Video Man,

There's a bunch of us going down to Jennings next weekend. We race at Nelson Ledges just outside of the Cleveland Ohio area. Mostly club racing with a bunch of old guy's who couldn't afford it when we all had kids. So now were all making up for lost time. There's two of us who ride SV650's a couple of 600 GSXR's and one Kaw.250 which they tell me is fun. We'll be down on Sat. and they run the track counter clockwise, should be a "HOOT" If they or we can get our hands on a "GO-PRO" we'll post up a Link. And one more thing, if your trying to unload any SV stuff, Springs, Shocks, Etc. Just post them on the WERA board under parts and you'll have an easier time unloading them then you will here on the FJR Forum. And Oh yeh, almost forgot we have 3 Fjr's between us 2 "06"s" and an "07". NAFO is just to far for any of us to gothis summer,and EOM in the mountains of WV are awfully sweet in the fall. I've got a couple of previous post in this section like anyone cares, but if any of you'se guy's can get to a track nearby do yourselves a hugh favor and if nothing else do a trackday, get a couple of lessons and a few fast laps under your belts. Besides as the guy's before me in this thread posted up, the skills you'll learn will make you a much better street rider an who knows might even save your life if you get into a really hairy situation on the street. All right I'm done, hope everyone has a great Summer.

Dastardly Dave #65

You're right nothing like riding on the track to improve riding skills.

I've got a spare bike I bought with a salvage title for 500 bucks so I've got plenty of spares.

I'm probably going to try running Ameteur class again this year and get my license again.

Been running 8-12 track days a year the last couple years.

Our first track day is the end of March and it's a 5 hour haul, things don't get started up here until April for the most part.

What kind of rubber are you running on the SV ? I've been running Michelin Power Pure with good success.

Kstrom,

I had no idea about alot of things when my friend invited me to do a track day with him. Kind of like the "Pusher Man' where the first shot is for free. Unless you have done it what I'm about to type will make no sense to most of you guy's out there in cyber space. But for those of us who"ve raced there's nothing that can even come close to the "Shear Terror" [and I'm not sure that,that even defines what we do very well] that being said I am never more alive then when I'm out there. And kstrom] I know that you know exactly what I'm saying.I should probably at this point interject that I'm not all that fast, but every year I'm getting a little faster. I'm sure one of the other guy's we ride with will chime in on the next few reply's by saying [it's very little my speed that is] but hey what are good friends for, but to keep us humble.

As far as your question about the type of tires I ride there Dunlop's Supermax GP's But you know as well as anybody, I don't care what your choice of tires are we tear them up pretty fast.

Before I sign off I was wonderin if your wearing one of those new inflatable vests? Just thought I'd ask.

68deg. on Sat. 73 on Sun. and 75 on Mon. at Jennings GP in Fla. this weekend. Needless to say I"m [were] all "STOKED" I'll take some Pic's and post them hopefully by next weekend.

#65 Dave

Kstrom,

I had no idea about alot of things when my friend invited me to do a track day with him. Kind of like the "Pusher Man' where the first shot is for free. Unless you have done it what I'm about to type will make no sense to most of you guy's out there in cyber space. But for those of us who"ve raced there's nothing that can even come close to the "Shear Terror" [and I'm not sure that,that even defines what we do very well] that being said I am never more alive then when I'm out there. And kstrom] I know that you know exactly what I'm saying.I should probably at this point interject that I'm not all that fast, but every year I'm getting a little faster. I'm sure one of the other guy's we ride with will chime in on the next few reply's by saying [it's very little my speed that is] but hey what are good friends for, but to keep us humble.

As far as your question about the type of tires I ride there Dunlop's Supermax GP's But you know as well as anybody, I don't care what your choice of tires are we tear them up pretty fast.

Before I sign off I was wonderin if your wearing one of those new inflatable vests? Just thought I'd ask.

68deg. on Sat. 73 on Sun. and 75 on Mon. at Jennings GP in Fla. this weekend. Needless to say I"m [were] all "STOKED" I'll take some Pic's and post them hopefully by next weekend.

#65 Dave
Have a great time in Florida Dave & tell those two Ray's to behave

ScrapedUp, no I don't have an air vest just too much fat !! Loll!!

My Fieldsheer suit has a foam hump in it and I wear an Alpinestars back protector.

Alpinestars gloves and boots and an Arai helmet.

I always wear good gear, the best I can afford street or track.

Kstrom,

Well its been about a week since we were at Jenning's GP in Fl. Had an unbelievabley good time. Weather was cold, about 52 on Sat. track conditions were damp in the morning but gave way to drying by mid day. The track was awesome with plenty of technical turns in the back and some horrifically long and front straights. We did have one of our gang try riding back to the pits in the crash truck, he didn't get to badly hurt put screwed up his plastics pretty good. Softball size "Strawberry on his ass and a pretty good size bruise on his shoulder.Actually he got off pretty easy concidering a 50 mph. low side is generally good for a broken collar bone or something. He also wears a air-vest. The only thing that makes this all worse is he just got his leathers back from the shop to get last years dings fixed. OOP's All in all though we had a great weekend and would highly recommend Jenning's to anyone out there in cyber-space who would like to do a "Track Day"

Moto Series #65

PS. It looks like I'm graduating to a GSXR 600 this season because my brother wants his SV650 back. Me thinks I'm getting the best of this deal. Although I've ridin it before and it's way quicker than my V-Twin. I'll keep you posted from time to time as the season progresses. First race weekend is at the end of April this year.If you want a good laugh go on You-Tube type in "Snow Squalls at Nelson Ledges" and you can see for yourself what we have to contend with in the Spring Season in Cleveland OH.

I took a few pictures of both of my bikes outside my house yesterday. The SV650 is a 2001 with 18,000 miles on it. She was my daily rider for years, until I got the FJR and got accustomed to a little more comfort (plus the bags make the daily rider a lot more versatile). I am thinking about converting the SV into a track bike going forward, but with limited funds (most of which go to FJR farkles) this could be a longer term project.

th_DSCN1202.jpg

th_DSCN1201.jpg

th_DSCN1200.jpg

th_DSCN1199.jpg

th_DSCN1198.jpg

th_DSCN1197.jpg

Chris

Hey Slimsailor,

If you want to start racing or just doing trackdays, don't bother stripping down your SV. It'll cost you way more to convert the SV to a decent track bike than it would for you just to buy someone else's bike who'se getting out of it. Depending on what you weigh and set up you want to buy, check some of the racing forums: WERA or MOTO-SERIES always have whole bikes for sale. But let me for warn you, If you get bit by the Speed bug and you start doing alot of track time it will really start adding up in dollars and cents, costing you a small fortune what with tires and broken stuff its more than sending a couple kids thru college. That being said, for many of us out here there's no bigger rush than pitching your bike into a right hander a couple of inch's off the ground at 60 or 70 mph. Good luck! and keep us posted on how your progressing.

Moto-Series #65

Recently picked up a 2002 sv650, it sat for 6 yrs so I'm working to get it on the road again. Got the carbs cleaned, oil and spark plugs changed and it seems to run pretty good. Still have to change the fork oil/seals, tires, chain and sprockets, and somehow find a good used tank to replace the rusted out old one.

2012-03-16121645.jpg

You guys don't know of any tanks for sale do you?

Good luck on finding a tank for a Gen 1 that isn't rusted. I've been looking for a used one for a while now. Your bike is also getting to that age where all of it's hoses need to be replaced...so be sure to inspect those as well.

One thing I love about the SV is how easy it is to raise and hold the tank up. Why doesn't the FJR come with a simple metal rod to hold the tank up???

Hey Bigtallguy,

Good find. I'm not sure what your intent is with the new mount but if your going to start doing any track stuff read my previous post it'll save you alot of time and money. Good luck trying to find a tank, most of us just epoxy the inside of the old ones, put clear fuel filters in line and off we go. Hey, keep us all posted on what you do with the new ride and how it works out for you. If it's any conciliation I'm 61 yrs. young and still cranken!!!!! We've got a track about 45min. from me and are out there as often as possible. On a little side bar, Not only has it helped sharpen my racing skills it's saved my life a couple of time on my FJR. I'm not sure how aggressively you ride your FEEJER but we push our mounts to the edge of it's limits and then some. It's pretty funny when I take my bike in to have the tires changed and the mechanic freaks out because the sides of my tires are gone and the middles are almost like brand new. Hey, we ride a lot of "Twisties" here in SE Ohio. Keep the rubber side down!!!!!!!!

Dastardly Dave #65 Moto-Series

I actually had a shop get all the rust out for me, but the water vent is rusted through so it leaks gas if you fill it with about 2 gallons or more. Were you guys able to patch that up in your tanks?

Hey Bigtallguy,

A lot of us at the track have $6:00 "Rattle Can" paint jobs on our bikes because we [or maybe I better say me her] crash them constantly. That being said depending on your budget, almost any bodyshop will weld you a patch or plug in your tank for next to nothing. Since you already have the tank clean [unless you've already put fuel in it] you should be all set. Good luck and keep us all posted on how your project is progressing.

Dave

My new paint job this year,Grabber Blue, I got tired of all black in the garage ! only the FJR is black now.

looks kind of plain right now, I have some logos ordered from Tapeworks for it now.

I've done one track day at Heartland Park Topeka and have another one coming up on Memorial Day.

I got moved to Advanced to run with the big dogs now, man those big bikes eat me alive on the straights !

CA04211221084875-L.jpg