Motorcycle Shipping / Buying out of state

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

650cent

Reaction score
Hey, I am looking for advice and recommendations for shipping a motorcycle across country. What company did you use and why? Was the service what you expected? Did the seller agree to making sure the motorcycle got loaded OK?

On the subject of buying a motorcycle from out of state, how did the deal go down? Did you send a check for the full amount or part, the rest on delivery. How was the payment made ie PayPal, bank check, personal check?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Bill

Edit: I guess I should give a little more detail, this motorcycle I am looking at is used and from a private party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a bike in PA when I was living in LA and had the bike shipped to me. The transaction was smooth and Allied Moving shipped the bike without incident. They used a specially designed pallet, which held the bike great. No problems what so ever.

I bought a sidecar rig from a company in OH and had it shipped to Boston using Forward Air. Cost me $550 and the sending end had to crate it. I paid for everything up front.

Okay...here is an old old thread I am going to revive!!!!!!!!

The OP, asked exactly what I want to know, however no one spoke on how the transaction piece went when dealing with a private party.

There seem to be great deals far away, and shipping is cheaper than fly/ride.

How did anyone handle the financial transaction to keep things on the up and up when buying from private seller,

and having a shipping company pick it up?

Do shipping companies handle the financials of it?

or

Is considering something like this, totally AT YOUR OWN RISK FOOL!!!!

I was the seller of an FJR to a member of this forum. He was a great guy who sent me a cashier's check for deposit two weeks before he came and picked up the bike. He paid the balance by cashier's check on the same bank when he picked up the bike. The only glitch was our state recognizes and/or on a title and either person named on a title can sign it for transfer and it is legal. His state does not recognize and/or so he needed both signatures. He was able to resolve the problem by getting the OK statute off line and presenting it to his DMV. I was working on getting it for him but he was sharper and quicker than me. I bring this up just so you can check out the title requirement differences between your state and the state of the seller.

Had we known in advance my wife was present and could easily have also signed to save him all the hassle. I do hope he is enjoying the FJR as much as I did.

Boomer

I was the seller of an FJR to a member of this forum. He was a great guy who sent me a cashier's check for deposit two weeks before he came and picked up the bike. He paid the balance by cashier's check on the same bank when he picked up the bike. The only glitch was our state recognizes and/or on a title and either person named on a title can sign it for transfer and it is legal. His state does not recognize and/or so he needed both signatures. He was able to resolve the problem by getting the OK statute off line and presenting it to his DMV. I was working on getting it for him but he was sharper and quicker than me. I bring this up just so you can check out the title requirement differences between your state and the state of the seller.

Had we known in advance my wife was present and could easily have also signed to save him all the hassle. I do hope he is enjoying the FJR as much as I did.

Boomer
I've resolved this one in the past by writing out a simple Power of Attorney, designating who may sign for you and what they may sign. Some States need this notarized and some don't.

I don't have any advice on shipping, but I do have some thoughts on buying something large (expensive) out of state. If you don't know the seller, see if you can find someone willing to go look at the item (motorcycle) for you (and take pictures). With all of the members on this forum, someone must live close to the seller. I didn't read where the seller was located, but if it is anywhere near Albany, NY I'd be glad to take a look for you. I have done this a few times in the past. The best one was a 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible that a business contact from California had me check out for him when I lived in Connecticut (1995). He even offered for me to drive it out to him in Beverly Hills. Unfortunately they couldn't agree on a price so it didn't happen. That would have been a great trip. I guess now I'll have to do it on an FJR.

Thanks guys, some interesting points.

I would feel more comfortable dealing with someone on the forum, or a dealership.

Getting help in looking and taking pics is a great idea as well.

Pay by cashiers check or bank transfer.

Have title, properly executed for transfer, sent overnight concurrent with completion of money transaction.

Have Keyboard Carriage, https://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/ pick up the bike. The seller will have to make it available to them in a place where they can get their tractor trailer truck, but there is no crating required.

They provide $20K insurance as part of their rates, which are $550 or $650 depending on where the seller and buyer are in the four zones they break the US into.

They are an impressive operation. Very fast to load and unload. Very secure transport. I think they are gold standard for the motorcycle shipping industry in the US.

Of course the most comforting way to buy a motorcycle at a distant location is to go there, check the bike out, and pay cash concurrent with correct paperwork. Sometimes this isn't convenient or practical, and Keyboard is a great alternative.

Arise oh sleeping thread!

I have a trip coming up where me and three buddies are going to be riding from Va. to Ca. One of the guys is in Ca. and wants to ship his bike to Va. When we arrive in Ca. I need to ship my bike back to Va.

I contacted the suggestion above, but they told me they are not currently doing anything to or from the west coast. Anyone have the name of a reputable shipper that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks.

I purchased and had a bike shipped from VA to CA last fall. I went with https://motorcycleshippers.com/ after reading reviews and talking with them. They're not the cheapest, it cost me about $700. For the most part I did get my bike but it took two trips. The truck came west the first time but when it came time to deliver the bike to my home, the warehouse couldn't find it. Turns out the bike was still at a hub back in DC. Only the contract came west! Took another week but the bike did finally show up in one piece. If I had to do it again I'd look into https://www.bevelheaven.com/stuff-for-sale-shipping.htm. Good luck.

Gary