Emergency on-bike tire kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Walmart one I did

Pic0011-1.jpg

Is yours the same? campel-hausfeld? No the cig in the dash will not work

I did one from a battery tender connector and ran it through the fairing to a hookup on the side. Just watch for polarity changes

Pic0012-1.jpg

Then you can run a cig lighter or an easy jump start connector

plugs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The nice thing about the stripped down Campell Hausfeld compressor is that it stores nicely in the tail section. You can put it first into a Crown Royal pouch and it stays nice and clean.

This is the Walmart one I did
Pic0011-1.jpg

Is yours the same? cambel -housefield? No the cig in the dash will not work

I did one from a battery tender connector and ran it through the fairing to a hookup on the side. Just watch for polarity changes

Pic0012-1.jpg

Then you can run a cig lighter or an easy jump start connector

plugs.jpg
yep, except i just used the guts of the pump. i was told that there's a good chance the pump has a fuse built into the male end of the plug. i haven't had a chance to go check.

if not, i'll likely have to take out the aerostich cord wired to the battery, and replace it with the battery tender one, which has a fuse. not sure what you mean when you mention polarity change...

thanks!,

polarity change.

make sure + is to + and neg to neg NOT Pos to Neg. Some of the pre made cables swap from the norm. Make sure to trace your wire from the battery to the end and watch for a flip-flop

I've been running with the Campell Hausfeld compressor thrown into one of my saddlebag's. I was going to strip it down to fit under my seat until I found this little gem.

56_3.JPG

at MotoPumps.com

No affiliation, YMMV, etc. But I just ordered one myself. For $35 even a cheap bastard like me can't pass it up.

Nice, that IS the guts from the wally world pump. Plust a little shrink wrap for posterity.

All and all for $34 that aint to shabby.

-MD

I've been running with the Campell Hausfeld compressor thrown into one of my saddlebag's. I was going to strip it down to fit under my seat until I found this little gem.
56_3.JPG

at MotoPumps.com

No affiliation, YMMV, etc. But I just ordered one myself. For $35 even a cheap bastard like me can't pass it up.

i just saw that kit on ebay this evening.

Just ordered mine from Robert at MotoPumps ten minutes ago. Paid extra $2 to get SAE (i.e. Battery Tender connector) permanently wired as pump's DC charge.

Had to buy this because the '98 Gold Wing SE I just sold had an air compresor built in the saddlebag, but the new '07 top-of-the-line 'Wing I just bought is both pump-free and CB-free. (They made up for the losses by adding a button that dispenses frothy hot cappuccino...regular or decaf :rolleyes: )

Can I safely replace the inline 3 amp fuse in my Battery Tender direct-to-battery SAE cord with a 10 amp fuse? (I just did, so the question is asked ipso post facto.)

I swapped fuses because Rob at MotoPumps (nice unit, and nice guy) said his emergency air compressor (which was shipped per my request with hard-wired SAE power cord) needs a 10 amp fuse. (I found this out when trying out the new MotoPump for the first time on Saturday, and it blew the 3 amp fuse faster than Britney's first date with K-Fed.)

I just popped in a 10 amp fuse, and all seems well. In other words, the pump works great! Question: is there a fire/other danger when I use the direct-to-battery SAE cord for it's intended purpose -- delivering a Battery Tender trickle charge to the bike -- with a 10 amp fuse?

be advised

perhaps also carry a large bail of hay to stuff inside the unrepairable tire... (like the old days...)

Slime pump kit. about $30. Cased with all the necessary connections. Smaller than my cut up Wally World pump. Plug and go or glued up string? Which do you prefer?

I assume that you cannot power one of these small compressors from the cigarette lighter plug cause it will blow the FJR's fuse, correct? Can't we simply put in a bigger fues so that it can be powered from the cig socket?

I assume FJR tires are tubeless, right? I have never removed one (yet).

Thanks guys!

Don't put a bigger fuse in, because the wiring to that plug isn't big enough for higher loads.

Tires are tubeless.

I carry the guts of the same pump stuffed back by the taillights, and a sticky string plug kit, also back there under the pillion seat. That way I don't lose the tool tray space. My pump is wired to a terminal strip with its own fuse there.

Don't put a bigger fuse in, because the wiring to that plug isn't big enough for higher loads.
Tires are tubeless.

I carry the guts of the same pump stuffed back by the taillights, and a sticky string plug kit, also back there under the pillion seat. That way I don't lose the tool tray space. My pump is wired to a terminal strip with its own fuse there.
Good point about the wiring. How could I not think of that? :dribble:

Thanks!!!

I use a Slime puimp, but there is a great tire plugger that doesnt require enlarging the hole. Very versitle, you can lay a couple of them on a large hole. Link https://www.dynaplug.com/
Until Dec 25th 09, on which this offer expires, they are kicking in a Free refill pack, an $8.95 value at no extra cost..

Since someone else dredged up this 4+ year old thread, I gotta ask Slappy a question:

smcasepacked.jpg

Why are there 4 coax cable F-connectors in the top right section of your tire repair kit?

And if they ain't F-connectors, then whaddinhell are they? :lol: