#1 trimmantom

trimmantom

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Well it took eight weeks exactly to get the ticker fixed and I'm glad that ordeal is over.Not only did they fix the valve guide problem but also replaced the camchain tensioner and camchain assembly.Total billing for this little project was $3271.00,man am I glad I didn't have to fork any cash on that deal.
The time frame wasn't real desirable but I think that Lawrenceville Honda Yamaha in Georgia did do an excellent job for me I talked to the tech who worked on my bike and am satisfied that he did a good job.I beleive they made an honest effort on the repair. But if Yamaha would provide a little more info to their dealers about possible problems with their bikes it could eliminate a lot of leg work by the dealers and possibly expedite the process on the repair end.
I took the bike for about a hundred mile run this evening in misting rain and fog.
I couldn't stand it I had to ride that bike when I picked it up regardless of weather conditions.I was really happy with the bikes performance, It seemed to have more spot on power,I guess I didn't notice the gradual loss of power before.
The bike was very smooth and now I'm oh so happy.
You don't know what you lost til you don't have it for a while and just being on this forum and getting info here makes it much easier when you do have to take your bike somewhere for repair work that you're better informed.
Thank you to all owners of previously repaired tickers who shared their experiences because your posts on the subject really heped me.

#2 liquidbullet

liquidbullet

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hello, I was just wandering about my fjr with 23000 miles on and a mild ticking problem as well. Was yours a 2003 model and was the ticking very loud? Steve Meyer in Louisville Ky. at smpha8@insightbb.com

#3 trimmantom

trimmantom

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Steve my bike is an 04 and the ticking got progressively worse.
It was very loud when I finally took it in with just under 24000 miles.

#4 carrera930

carrera930

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:24 AM

Tom,

Glad to have you back! I know its been frustrating, but the bottom line is that Yamaha paid for everything! I agree with you, that the guys at Lawrenceville Yamaha are a great bunch. Chris Roth the service manager will do what it takes to make it right :clap:
Life is what happens, while your busy making other plans

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1993 Yamaha Virago 750 customized
2000 Volkswagen Jetta VR6 with full Neuspeed suspension
1977 Porsche 930

#5 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,904 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(liquidbullet @ Jan 21 2006, 08:29 PM)
Hello, I was just wandering about my fjr with 23000 miles on and a mild ticking problem as well. Was yours a 2003 model and was the ticking very loud?    Steve Meyer in Louisville Ky. at smpha8@insightbb.com

Steve, go to the tech forum here and check the sound out for yourself. Its pinned and it's right at the top o the page.
Barry
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#6 tyronewildman

tyronewildman

Real Old Guy

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

O K trimmantom
We all want to know. You mentioned
But if Yamaha would provide a little more info to their dealers
. Please list the things that you, and the dealer, now know that would have the job of tick fixing go better. Exactly what parts were replaced and were any of then different than the original parts. New head bolts etc? Some of the guys & gals will be taking their ticker to a dealer who has never done this job before and we want them to be armed with all information available.

Thanks,,, De rolleyes.gif

"It doesn't have to Make sense"
I've Got Two Words For You-Read My Avatar's Lips below
STFU.gif
'69441VS '69CT90 '89PC800 '89ZX600 '94K1100LT '02S3T '04FJR '09FLHR '13FJR#41
De------Tyrone, Georgia-A Little South Of Hotlanta

#7 radman

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:10 AM

Ya shouldn't have put "licked" in the title. TDub is gonna be all hot and bothered now...... ohmy.gif
Posted ImageShrug Atlas, Shrug

#8 twowheelnut

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,031 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Shit, and I refrained from making a similar comment yesterday... fuck.gif
IBA #33287

#9 FJRMGM

FJRMGM

FJRMGM

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

Tom, we are glad to welcome you to the "Former Ticker but now a Happy Camper FJR Owners" club.. biggrin.gif

Keep us posted. I particularly want to know if it runs MUCH better than while ticking.
Mike

I now live in motorcycling paradise - NW Arkansas!!

#10 trimmantom

trimmantom

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

First off,Rad and TWN youse guys need to get your minds outta tha gutter.
As for tyrone the info i am referring to specific to the tick repair is generally the parts will be the same,new valve guides throughout,new valve stem seals new head gasket,new cylinder head bolts,new exhaust gaskets,new exhaust valves throughout.They also replaced the spark plugs.Not specific to the tick repair that were also fixed under warranty were the cam chain tensioner and the camchain assembly.The bike has spot on power as before it lagged alittle bit,not a whole lot in my case but I could tell immediately when I got on the highway and gased it.
The mechanic that did the repair told me that there really wasn't a break in period,so I babied it for five miles then goosed it.
I've only got to ride it one time about a hundred miles but every thing seems to be in order, nothing came flying off the bike and no screw drivers fell out of the fairing so I think I'm good to go.