Cal-Sci Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AZJW

In case there are those out there that are waffling like I was regarding the purchase of an aftermarket windscreen, waffle no more! I'd read many different reviews on the Rifle, Cee Baileys, etc.. and the need for tuning blocks and the like. Not everyone fits the standard offerings, but I can tell you from experience, the Tall version of the Cal-Scientific windscreen with no mods works great for me. It flows a little less air at the full down position compared to the stock one, but after about 20 % up travel any noise is gone and now I can actually hear the exhaust note and knock down the volume on the Mp3 player! Haven't had any rain to experiment in yet, but if it's anything like my old ST windscreen with vents, not enough rain is passed through to be an issue. My .02 worth, but it's the greatest as far as I'm concerned and worth the extra $50 or so over the other brands.

05' FJR

Stock seat

6'1"

175 lbs.

36" inseam

+1 on the Cal Sci tall windscreen. Just getting rid of that back pressure made the investment worth it. Far happier with this product than I was with my Cee Bailey +4+3.

+1 I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and it rocks! I had the CeeBailey 4+ flip before this and it did not work well for me. Too much high freq buffeting on the helmet.

The CalSci 4+ shield works perfectly. The only thing I'm concerned about now is that it is so tall, it seems to put a bit of a load on the brackets at speed. Hope I don't blow them out!

I've got a medium size Cal Sci on it's way to me... hopefully it works as well as everyone says. I'm not the tallest guy in the world, so I figured the long would be overkill. If I like it, I think I'll take a dremel to the stocker and summer-ize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too started this year with a new cal-sci plus 4. So quiet and very little buffeting. Was reading on fjr owners about a bloke that modified his original shield like cal sci. Also thinking of doing it for hot weather.

Sorry to bother, but could I have a link to see these cal-sci windshields? I did a search but could not find any links listed in any of the postings that I looked at.

It would be much appreciated if anybody has one available.

Where is the breakoff for the height of the shield for height of rider? I know it depends on lots of things, helmet, seat height, rider height. I have an 03 and I have a C Baileys 4+3 flip. It was almost perfect until I had Russell do my seat, which raised about an inch and made of difference in shield height. At 5'10" would a medium do it or should I just go with the tall. Are these Cal Sci measurements taller than the 03 shield or the 04-05. If I remember the 03 stock was 2" shorter than the 04-05 stock. Would like to buy the right one the first time. thanks

I have the CB flip and I thought it was just my normal head mush. Glad to hear that others have experienced the high-speed turbulence too.

I'm 5'10", 30 inseam, old and sit up a lot. Looking forward to a screen height recommendation from those of you with CalSci experience too.

Ooops! Just looked at the CalSci windscreen and have to take back my interest. I get soooo many bugs in that area where the cutouts are, I would have to install wipers on my face shield!

Img2006-02-25%20164409.jpg

Img2006-02-25%20164443.jpg

I have since sold it, as it gave me too much protection. :) It was so quiet I felt disconnected from motorcycle experience. I now have a smaller screen with a slight flip. Noise is a lot less than stock, and I can still feel the sensation of riding a bike. Better for me.

I've tried the '04 stock shield, the optional taller Yamaha shield and the Givi with a flip. For each shield, I also tried "tuning" the angle with 9mm spacers a la the Rifle setup. None of them is as quiet as the Cal Sci tall that I just purchased. It's a bit of a barn door but it works, if significantly reduced noise and almost zero buffeting are your goals. (I haven't tried it yet with the 9mm spacers.)

For local travel in the warmer temperatures, or a track day, I will go back to the Givi for more air flow and better overall aerodynamics. For touring, however, it's the Cal Sci tall for me.

I'm about 5' 9" with a 31" inseam.

Where is the breakoff for the height of the shield for height of rider? I know it depends on lots of things, helmet, seat height, rider height. I have an 03 and I have a C Baileys 4+3 flip. It was almost perfect until I had Russell do my seat, which raised about an inch and made of difference in shield height. At 5'10" would a medium do it or should I just go with the tall. Are these Cal Sci measurements taller than the 03 shield or the 04-05. If I remember the 03 stock was 2" shorter than the 04-05 stock. Would like to buy the right one the first time. thanks
My CalSci shield is supposedly 4.5+ over stock. I measured it against the Yami tall shield I had and it was 2" taller.

JeffAshe, the helmet buffeting I got was the high freq type that blurred my vision so bad I had to take it off after only 30 miles. I think the brand of helmet has something to do with it also. My HJC has vents on the top that I wish were not there. They make too much noise and upset the windflow.

I just put my Corbin Dual Canyon seat on and unfortunately, it raised me up about an inch or so, which makes a difference on me (6'2") as well. Kinda disappointing, because I was able to ride at any speed with the shield all the way down before. Now I really have to raise it an inch or two and I'm concerned about the wind force at speed straining the brackets. We'll see if it holds up.

I'm roughly the same height BugR... hope the medium works well for me too. :D Should know on Wednesday, according to Fedex.....

I'll wait for Groo to give the old one up comparison. I'd go with the tall but Idon't want too much shield. I have an 03 so the shield is not the same meaurement comparison to the 04-05 which is 2" different. I can still see over the C Bailey's 4+3 flip in the full up position. I don't ride with it down much. I like the full protection feel down the highway especially in the winter.

I may have to try it. I have a CB +4+3, that I even added a Laminar Lip to. Made another slight improvement but not really what I'm looking for. I can also see over it in the full-up position.

I'll do some before and after pics, and take a ride before and after to try and give a decent comparison next week....

I saw on the CalSci web site where they give a $60 competitive credit for trading in a competitor's shield. That does make it tempting.

Anybody tried making similar cutouts to a CeeB to see how it behaves?