Around the Pyrenees

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best-laid plans....and all that :rolleyes:

The Pyrenees trip has been delayed by two weeks. We're now leaving July 3 from Genoa and returning July 11. FJR Riders ahoy! The invitation to join us obviously still stands...
titanic.gif

Stef

OK, back to base after 2,300 kms of mountain twisties.

This year's Tour of the Pyrenees was a real treat, with temperatures in Spain being sometimes half the seasonal average and clear skies 95% of the time.

We left with mesh jackets only and sure wished we had brought something more substantial to wear in the mornings at high elevations. OTOH, the weird climate conditions made slower riding in the valleys totally bearable (while last year we had to endure temps nearing 110 F).

IMG_0818.JPG

Portalet Pass... a picture postcard :rolleyes:

IMG_0847.JPG

Rollercoaster near Roncesvalles. For the history buffs this is where Charlemagne's rearguard led by Roland got mangled on their way back into France.

IMG_0903.JPG

Tapas y Cerveza in San Sebastian (Basque country)

IMG_0752.JPG

A picturesque backdrop for the FJR in Besalù, not far from the Catalan coast.

A video of this year's Tour can be found RIGHT HERE

Stef

Saludos Stef,

Another excellent Road Riding Report! Please keep them coming, it just whets my appetite more for another return to Europe for more twisty riding sessions. The continent certainly has had wierd weather this year, in May when we Arizonans rode the Alps we were roasting; but my friend Mark in Linz, Austria says they are freezing on rides now in July! OUTSTANDING Videos!

Hasta lluego, Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola compadre!

I thought I'd add some more detailed info on the itinerary, in case some of you guys were inclined to take this trip in the future.

itinerario.JPG

We left Barcelona harbor and made a beeline for Roses on the coast. Next day we rode through Besalù and the wonderful N-152 highway into Andorra.

From Andorra we headed SW into Sort, Vielha, Ainsa and finally Torla in the Ordesa nat'l Parl. Wow what a place! We dropped our bags in Torla for 2 nights

and launched into circular tours across the Pyrenee passes and briefly into France. Then we moved on to Yesa and the Monastery of Leyre, where you can rent a single room in the old convent for EUR 37 a night (all mod cons except - thankfully - TV). The restaurant is a treat: a full 3-course meal for EUR 15.

From Yesa we headed again into high country and eventually to the Atlantic coast at St Jean de Luz. Then back into Spain again (San Sebastian).

itinerario2.JPG

On our way back from San Sebastian we rode into Pamplona (where the Feria de San Firmin was raging, with bulls running the streets and all that... :rolleyes: ). Back to Yesa and then due SE to Huesca, Barbastro, Lleida and eventually Barcelona. A selection of photos can be found here in our Album.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report!......just checking in while on a family minivan vacation in Colorado.

Well, rock formations in Colorado would make the Pyrenees pale. I'll bet the whole mountain range could fit in the Grand Canyon :rolleyes:

Have a great vacation Wheaton!

Stef

Buenas noches Stef,

Since I'd last posted you I had dug out my Michelin Europe Motoring Atlas and had made copies of pages 37, 38 and 39.

I'd been happily following your narrative with place names and routings, and tracing them down with a yellow highlighter.

Then I thought that I'd take one more look see before son Seth and I went out for a ride; your maps are outstanding!

Being a BMW junkie (I first drank the Kool-Aide in 1969) I believe that I will go with the new F800ST; I ride a RT and GS.

Muchas gracias y hasta luego, BeemerDonS

Postscript: Are you at the point of this planning that I may have permission to post this to www.azbeemers.org/forum ??