Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerfjrfaster

Reaction score
Warchild

Has anyone to your knowledge lost total power, no guages, no lites ,no nothing.I was on the freeway up against the carpool lane but not in it yet when the bike just died, lucky for me there was a accident up the road as the traffic was stopped so I managed to get the bike over to the side of the road. coasted tothe ramp and pushed the bike up into IHOP driveway and waited for AAA to pick me up and the bike, its in Corona Yamaha a waiting a back ordered switch.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Well since I have over 76,000 miles on it something has to go but just not when your in the spot I was in IF traffic had been moving at the normal speed.

rogerfjrfaster

None, had valves checked at 25 they were fine. Tires everyone has that max out of any tires I got 11,000 those were Avons and all the rest. This is the first its been in for repair work.

rogerfjrfaster

Roger,

I had the same thing happen to my bike.

I ended up going to a motorcycle salvage yard in Rancho Cordova Ca. to get a ignition switch.

I think the R1 switch will work. In any case you will now have 2 keys, 1 for the ignition, and 1 for the rest of the bike. You can use 1 key if one side of the key is cut for the ignition, and one side is cut for the rest of the bike.

Good luck dealing with Corona Yamaha, the new service manager Curtis isn't very customer friendly.

About a year ago I remember reading about this very problem on a different forum. Lots of people were reporting problems with their ignition switches, I think over on fjrowner.ws. I remember seeing a picture of a fix where someone mounted an ignition bypass switch under the gas tank for just such an emergency; look around and you may find that thread.

I had that happen to me on my SS1K... turned out I had hit the kill switch with my thumb when I was releasing my vista cruise throttle lock.... DOH :blink:

That's scary. Really scary.

I too, remember reading of some of the ignition switch failures on fjrowners. Don't remember all the particulars, but not a simple fix IIRC, for a few, they had to wait several weeks for a backordered part, and when replacing the switch, you now need two separate keys.

I had a strange occurrence recently: Out on the town, and when I went to start my FJR - nothing. GPS, which is wired direct to battery was working fine, but FJR was completely dark. Since GPS was working, I figured battery was ok, and it was either ignition switch or main fuse. So I went looking for the main fuse, which I knew wasn't with all the others, but didn't know exactly where it was. Well, to make a long story short, I never found it, and after calling another forum member and getting him heading my way for assistance (at midnight - thanks vectervp1), everything finally came on after cycling the ignition switch on and off about 50 times.

Weird. Scary. I hate electrical gremlins.

That was about 3 weeks ago, and so far no repeat episodes.

Oh, and the 50a main fuse is right next to the left forward side of the battery. It's a different type fuse altogether, and I recommend buying a spare and carrying it with you as I now do, and of course, knowing where the darn thing is. Just in case.

CLICKY HERE FOR MAIN FUSE INFO

Last edited by a moderator: