2007 AE Runs Rough from idle to 4000 rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VersysRider

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 AE, 78,000 miles. It runs rough from idle to 4000 rpm, above 4000 rpm it appears to running as normal. Occasionally the bike stalls when throttle is applied from idle. The clutch seems like it is working fine. It threw a shift code 49 a couple of times during hard acceleration at high RPM. Unfortunately I know very little about the previous history of the bike other it was a one owner (can't talk to the previous owner).

So far I have changed the oil, final drive oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, spark plugs and air filter and ran 2 bottles of seafoam through it. Is there anything easy for me to check before I take it to the dealer for a fuel injection clean and throttlebody sync?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon
2016 Suzuki VStrom 650XT

2017 Kawasaki Z125

2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Southwest Ohio

SH__49 is "Engine idling speed too high when vehicle starting", then "Engine speed when starting off exceeds the set limit".

It then refers to possible excessive clutch slipping during the vehicle starting, not during normal running.

An SH__46 might indicate clutch slipping during high throttle/high rpm sessions, could you have mis-read the number?

Probably neither of those would have a direct bearing on rough running over the range you have.

I'd tend to suspect air leaking into the cylinder(s), possibly though a cracked or missing TPS vacuum port cap(s).

SH__49 is "Engine idling speed too high when vehicle starting", then "Engine speed when starting off exceeds the set limit".
It then refers to possible excessive clutch slipping during the vehicle starting, not during normal running.

An SH__46 might indicate clutch slipping during high throttle/high rpm sessions, could you have mis-read the number?

Probably neither of those would have a direct bearing on rough running over the range you have.

I'd tend to suspect air leaking into the cylinder(s), possibly though a cracked or missing TPS vacuum port cap(s).
It was SH__49 for sure. I came on going from 3rd to 4th gear at high RPM both times. I'll check the TPS vacuum port caps. Thanks.