2007 FJR1300A - the Lump (aka engine) is dying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James

Any update on a replacement engine (or diagnosis/repair on the old one)? I hope you are able to get back on the road soon!

I have started looking for a replacement engine, unfortunately it's not looking very likely that I'll be able to find one easily or quickly here in Japan.Can anyone please confirm whether the 2009-2012 "A" engines are compatible with a 2007 FJR1300A?

If so that would really help in broadening the search parameters.
James,

I do not know if bikes in Japan get emissions testing, but before you even find another engine, I would would want to talk to some government emissions people there. You want to be sure that you will end up with a bike that can be licensed there, before you start. Get these things in writing, man, with signatures, job titles, et c. Japan makes the USA emission requirements seem puny, by comparison. It may turn out that a newer bike will be cheaper than the repairs. Just a thought . . .

Cheers,

Infrared

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started looking for a replacement engine, unfortunately it's not looking very likely that I'll be able to find one easily or quickly here in Japan.Can anyone please confirm whether the 2009-2012 "A" engines are compatible with a 2007 FJR1300A?

If so that would really help in broadening the search parameters.
James,

I do not know if bikes in Japan get emissions testing, but before you even find another engine, I would would want to talk to some government emissions people there. You want to be sure that you will end up with a bike that can be licensed there, before you start. Get these things in writing, man, with signatures, job titles, et c. Japan makes the USA emission requirements seem puny, by comparison. It may turn out that a newer bike will be cheaper than the repairs. Just a thought . . .

Cheers,

Infrared
Thanks for the advice Infrared, however, my FJR is actually a US 48 Spec bike as I originally bought it in FL. I was able to import it to Japan when I moved here and it passed the emissions tests.

For the bi-annual emissions testing all they check for is the CO readings, to comply in the past all I had to do was swap in the OEM mufflers and drop down all the CO settings in the Diag screen by about 5 below zero. Obviously these were reset back to normal as soon as the test was over :)

Last edited by a moderator:
JamesAny update on a replacement engine (or diagnosis/repair on the old one)? I hope you are able to get back on the road soon!
Ross, thanks for checking, I've secured a 2007A engine with around 11k miles on it. It's in the process of being shipped to my mailforwarding service which will then send it on to Japan. The readings for both the Compression and Leak Down are very good so as long as these are on the level, I should have a good engine. The engine is complete other than a Starter Motor and the Throttle body assembly.

The engine had been seating on a shelf for about 1.5 years and came from a crashed bike, but from my inquiries with a couple of mechanics this should not be an issue.

Good news. Take a bunch of pictures while you're taking it apart. They make a great roadmap for assy.

Clean up the starter inside or have a shop do it and bench test it. Good luck.

Good news. Take a bunch of pictures while you're taking it apart. They make a great roadmap for assy. Clean up the starter inside or have a shop do it and bench test it. Good luck.
Thanks Ray, yes I'll be taking pics of anything that looks in anyway complicated to help with re-assembly. I'll be reading up on Wfooshee's writeup on his one-man engine swap technique. I do have an advantage of having a winch so hopefully it will make it easier, and I don't require as many/any bricks in the top-box :)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158468-tranny-shifter-bokerforked-found-star-cam-broke-off-the-shift-drum/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1171963

My Starter is still young as I replaced the original at around 160k miles with a new OEM unit, so will take a look at the O-ring but would rather not pull it apart unless I really need to. With 50k miles on this new Starter is it advisable to pull it apart while it's easy to do to clean it up and maybe replace the oil seal?

JK, even at 50k I'd still look at the starter. PITA to get to later on. Search for SkooterG and starter. If he can do it, trust me, you can. That boy is all thumbs and ears. :whistle: