2014 Pioneer Days Marlinton, WV 7/11 - 7/13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot all about this one :(

I'm booked up all of next week in "U-Betcha Minnesota".... So, Y'all have fun down there ya hear!

Last chance. We are heading out tomorrow. Spot link for you stalkers: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a83a53bc4a63ec32e
Damn...that came up quick. I could really use a ride, but I'm working OT, and the bike races are next week. Have a great/safe trip.
Looks like it will be just me and Spanky. We will have a blast. Pies and Pints for lunch on Saturday in Fayetteville if anyone is around.

I forgot all about this one
sad.png

I'm booked up all of next week in "U-Betcha Minnesota".... So, Y'all have fun down there ya hear!
Yeah, looks like everyone did. No problem. It will be a one bike group. That means I don't need to use my mirrors!

Damn, I forgot about this too! Busy Friday and Sat so it's a no can do for me too.

We usually visit that area in the fall. Was speaking to a local about this event a couple or three yrs ago. He said the locals really need the events in the summer,as it's off season for skiing. He said the townsfolk actually sweep turns that have accumulated gravel. I think I could do the 150 loop forever.

Yeah Bob, how was the ride? Hoping all went well. Did you guys end up hooking up with Jay & kids?

& same with me... I'd also forgotten about this ride. I know that we had talked a couple of days ahead of time. I wasn't in a position to prepare for this. Bummer. It would've been a good weekend, too.

BUT... my wheel is in having a new tire mounted as I write this. I should be GTG fairly soon. Just in time for August... the bewitching hour (month). I typically don't ride in August because of the heat.

Yeah Bob, how was the ride? Hoping all went well. Did you guys end up hooking up with Jay & kids?
& same with me... I'd also forgotten about this ride. I know that we had talked a couple of days ahead of time. I wasn't in a position to prepare for this. Bummer. It would've been a good weekend, too.

BUT... my wheel is in having a new tire mounted as I write this. I should be GTG fairly soon. Just in time for August... the bewitching hour (month). I typically don't ride in August because of the heat.
We did meet Jay and the girls both Friday and Saturday night in Marlinton. The weekend was outstanding. While it was in the 90's here the highest temp we saw was 84. In the low 70's in the afternoon on the Highland Scenic Highway! I started a RR last night and accidentally deleted it.I will start over tonight.

Holy cow! You actually stopped for pictures, Bob? You didn't stop before very often. I figured with the RDL seat you wouldn't ever stop again unless you needed gas.

Holy cow! You actually stopped for pictures, Bob? You didn't stop before very often. I figured with the RDL seat you wouldn't ever stop again unless you needed gas.
Funny you should say that, because we did two stretches of over 130 miles non-stop on the trip! The RDL was made Howard's Lick much more enjoyable.

Ok, I will try this RR again!

Spanky and I took off Friday morning, stopped for breakfast and then headed to the mountains. First photo stop was Goshen Pass:

P1020191_zps87c03956.jpg

P1020189_zpsbd44b387.jpg

P1020188_zps2f67fb78.jpg

Then Ingalls overlook:

P1020195_zpsc8da9dce.jpg

P1020193_zps13e17be2.jpg

It was a great weekend at the Old Clark Inn. One of the best things about this place, and other B&B's I am sure, is the people that you meet. There were two ladies there that now live in Cleveland who were back for their 60th high school reunion. They were so nice to talk to and a wealth of historical information. We sat on the porch both Friday and Saturday nights and enjoyed the bluegrass bands playing on the Southern States loading dock across the street. We even hooked up with Jay(Violione) and his daughters both evenings.

P1020198_zps81775912.jpg

P1020200_zps8e1da3e0.jpg

P1020199_zps2e2a0997.jpg

Saturday we rode over to Fayetteville and the New River Gorge visitor's center. We brought shorts and shoes for the hike down to the bridge viewing platform. We then rode over the old bridge and to Pies and Pints for lunch. We Rode the Highland Scenic Highway at the peak of the afternoon heat. 74 degrees! Gorgeous riding! We also rode up to Snowshoe.

P1020208_zpsd10ad82c.jpg

P1020207_zps926fc0a6.jpg

P1020210_zps1ec81433.jpg

P1020211_zps5b0c2fa8.jpg

SnoeshoePanarama_zps4ba1620c.jpg

Jay's girls enjoying one of the rides:

P1020203_zpsd47581ae.jpg

That pretty well represents the pictures I took. Those of you that know me know that I don't stop much, as I enjoy the ride. It was quite a change riding alone. No discussions about routes, food, stops, etc. Not that I don't like riding with friends, just that it was a pleasant change and the first time since CFR last year that we really rode alone. It was an awesome weekend to ride. While it was in the 90's here the highest temp we saw was 84.

I have to give props again to Andrea and Nelson at the Old Clark Inn. Great place to stay, great people, and great roads in any direction you go.

Funny you should say that, because we did two stretches of over 130 miles non-stop on the trip! The RDL was made Howard's Lick much more enjoyable.
Howards Lick is fine if you're actually riding on it... & not the longggg side road that leads to the state park. Just teasing you. You are a wonderful navigator with superior navigational skills.

& awesome ride report. Looks like you guys had fun.