3 Day's in MT/Glacier NP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry.GEG

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally getting around to writing about a nice ride last month. My friend Holger (RT1100) and his BMW club acquaintance (GS1150) took a well-deserved long weekend from Spokane to Montana in Mid-Sept. We wanted to plan it sooner but Holger also raises Alpaca's and August was birthing time and he couldn't leave the herd.

Friday we headed into North Idaho for our adventure. Out of Bonner's Ferry, ID we went across the northern tier of MT on some remote back roads ending up in Whitefish. We stayed at the Hibernation Station which is a ski lodge at Big Mountain resort. All three of use bunked (bunkbeds for two of us LOL) and got on the road Saturday AM. Whitefish is about 30 miles from West Glacier park entrance. Friday was beautiful blue sky but Saturday was turning out to be less than perfect but better than temps I've road in during the summer.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

We paid our $12 and headed into the park on Going to the Sun Road. The last time I was here was in 1996 in a car. It's a very cool road (52 miles)and without all the RV's a real joy! I advise to give yourself at least 5 hours to budget enough time to stop and take pics/gawk.

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0623-1.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

At the Continental Divide it was so cold we put our helmets/gloves back on as the wind chill was about 10 degrees.

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

On the way down to the east side of the divide we encountered only one construction site which was nice. This road is notorious for lot's of waiting due to such a short season.

IMG_0650.jpg

But if one has to wait 20 minutes for the road to open - you couldn't ask for a better view...

IMG_064625.jpg

Once out of the east end of the park we traveled north to the only other road into the park that they call "little Glacier".

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

We encountered winds of at least 50-70 mph. that we had to drastically lean into. What fun!

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Once out of the park we had a goal to make it to Hot Springs MT. Holger told us that the Hotel we were staying at was "unique". After 12 hours on the bike, if it had a bed I was ok with that! We ended up a the Symes Hotel which was built in the 1930's on top of a sulpher hot spring.

IMG_0676.jpg

To say the hotel and clientele were unique is an understatement. We had a nice soak in the 106 degree tub then migrated to the lower pool at 102 degrees. Great fun having drinks and listening to live music. Interesting place to stay if you're adventurous enough. If you're looking for really nice accommodations - see "elsewhere" lol.

Sunday AM we ate breakfast, took another soak in the Hot Spring and headed west toward home. We're kick'n along at 90 + when we passed these guys on the side of the road!

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Big Horn Sheep are quite common in Western Mt.

Thompson Falls, Thompson Pass for a quick stop.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

Home in Spokane by about 2 PM. My stock Metzlers took a beating with the high-speed travel and a total of 800 miles that was the last they would see. I put on PR2's and feel that I'd have a better chance of keeping up with those BMW riders next time!

800 miles in three days, top speed 105 Mph but one could do far more if they want. One MT State Patrol in all that riding. :)

Hope you enjoyed.

Awesome pictures Gerry, thanks for sharing - definitely a part of the world I want to see soon, and being pretty close to Montana and Idaho in Calgary, I have no excuses!

Thanks again ...

Ian

Awesome pictures Gerry, thanks for sharing - definitely a part of the world I want to see soon, and being pretty close to Montana and Idaho in Calgary, I have no excuses!

Thanks again ...

Ian
Thanks Ian, you have some wonderful stuff up your way Next year I want to go to Jasper and Banff. Not too far from you either, or Waterton which is the top half of GNP. Lot's to choose from.

Wow.

That about covers it.....wow. What stunning scenery. It's a goal of mine to ride Going To The Sun Road with my wife as pillion, but the long ride there from Minnesota has been a hard sell so far. If she sees these pictures, her opinion may change.

Wow.

Well, I'm finally getting around to writing about a nice ride last month. My friend Holger (RT1100) and his BMW club acquaintance (GS1150) took a well-deserved long weekend from Spokane to Montana in Mid-Sept. We wanted to plan it sooner but Holger also raises Alpaca's and August was birthing time and he couldn't leave the herd.

800 miles in three days, top speed 105 Mph but one could do far more if they want. One MT State Patrol in all that riding. :)

Hope you enjoyed.
Great ride report. I was out there mid Sept as well. Unfortunately we left the bike in Clydes Park, MT with Deer blood all over it. The day we got there they shut the west side down that night at 12 for construction. We rode errrr...caged.... up the 18 miles and back and headed for the east entrance. Logan Pass closed due to snow. Your pics showed me what I missed. Heading back out next year to complete this trip on a new to me FJR more than likely (for the FJR).

Willie

very nice pics, you're lucky to have that area so close!! You'll love the PR2's compared to the Metzlers.

Have to agree on all your points. I am very fortunate that such great riding in ID, MT, and Eastern WA is so close.

The tires, well, yes I know those are going to be a much more satisfying ride.

Hope you enjoyed.
Great ride report. I was out there mid Sept as well. Unfortunately we left the bike in Clydes Park, MT with Deer blood all over it. The day we got there they shut the west side down that night at 12 for construction. We rode errrr...caged.... up the 18 miles and back and headed for the east entrance. Logan Pass closed due to snow. Your pics showed me what I missed. Heading back out next year to complete this trip on a new to me FJR more than likely (for the FJR).

Willie
Sorry to hear of your accident and bad luck on the drive through the park. Very glad to hear you'll be repeating it next year. :)

Wow.

That about covers it.....wow. What stunning scenery. It's a goal of mine to ride Going To The Sun Road with my wife as pillion, but the long ride there from Minnesota has been a hard sell so far. If she sees these pictures, her opinion may change.

Wow.
Hope you convince her. She won't be sorry once here! :) I know of the hard-sell though.

Nice stuff, I'd like to head out that way some day.
Hope you do, you'll never regret it :)