4 Days Around NorCal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoGall

Reaction score
Back in August, I had a drive-shaft leak that took a long time to diagnose and fix. It was a cracked/separated seal, which was probably damaged upon insertion at the factory, on the shaft-end of the FD pumpkin. Thanks to this forum, I received the knowledge and moral support necessary to get through a very frustrating period. The stars finally aligned in October, and I was able to take a few days to appreciate the bike. The following report was orginially posted on BARF. My apologies for not remembering sooner that I should also contribute to this fine forum here.

==============================

I had plans this summer for a 10-day solo road trip. Work got busy and bike got leaky, so the trip was canned. However, I was determined to squeeze in a trip before Old Man Winter. Hatched a plan to pack the Trinity Alps with Kurt’s (flying_hun) Quincy Redux into a 4-day trip, and invited my friend, David (Subarashii), to come along.

David and I were classmates back in grade school, in Taiwan, across the Pacific Ocean. Earlier this year, we reconnected here in the Bay Area after 30 years. One time over a dinner outing, David let slipped how he had gotten his M1 endorsement years earlier, but never followed through with actually getting a moto. In hindsight, David’s wife is probably wishing that he had never made it known. 3 or 4 months later, David experienced his first motorcycle rally – BARF in Hawthorne.

On Thursday, David and I met up at a Starbucks in San Leandro at 6:50am. We briefly went over today’s route and re-grouping points (if separated) over coffee, and got underway 30 minutes later.

Day 1 (Thursday), San Leandro to Eureka, 320 miles

Route Map

At 7:20am, traffic was already picking up all along 880. With all the cars jostling for position and us at high alert, it didn’t feel like a proper beginning to a road trip. Once we hit 580, traffic started to lighten, and it remained so all the way to and across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. The first hint of “vacation” came to me just north of Novato on 101 -- scent of fresh cow pies.

Fresh cow pies = Good times ahead :loser

We got through Petaluma, Rohnert Park , Santa Rosa, and Healdsburg easily enough. Made a quick top-off of the tanks in Cloverdale and swung a left onto 128 for Mendocino. The best time to ride 128, or any road for that matter, is in early mornings. Other than an occasional big rig or two, we had this twisting and turning road all to ourselves from beginning to end, which Is unusual for a main thoroughfare to the coast.

First scenic stop just north of Navarro at the bridge…

a-173-M.jpg

@ 128 & Hwy 1

a-175-M.jpg

After a brief break at the bridge, we hopped on Hwy 1 for Fort Bragg. There were pockets of fog along this stretch, but we could catch glimpses of the blue sky now and then. Although a shade on the cool side, it was very comfortable riding temperature for me.

We made an early lunch stop at the North Coast Brewing Company in Fort Bragg. I had a burger and David had something healthy, which probably explains why I have no recollection of what he ordered :p The burger was good as always. Can’t tell you about their brew since I am usually there in mid-day, on my moto. We also had a pretty good conversation about the differences of growing up on the opposite sides of the Pacific. Something I always wondered.

Heading north on Hwy 1 after lunch…

a-176-M.jpg

Looking back to the way we came…

a-177-M.jpg

A closer look…

a-179-M.jpg

Soon, we came upon the prized section of Hwy 1 between Hardy and Leggett. It’s the most interesting and exciting 20 miles anyone could hope to find around these parts in today’s conditions – dry, clean, and with only three cars on it the whole way.

Once on 101 again, it was easy cruising to the Avenue of the Giants (redwoods), just north of Garberville.

a-180-M.jpg

One of the giants:

a-181-M.jpg

Gratuitous bike pr0n:

a-182-M.jpg

With the sun beginning its descent, we headed straight for Eureka from Myers Flat at 101. We got to Eureka just as the afternoon commute started, but it was nothing comparing to what we have in the Bay Area. Once we were parked and checked in at the hotel, I made a few calls and messages to follow-up with some Redwood Curtain BARFers about our dinner plans at the Lost Coast Brewing Company.

That evening, we met up with Duncan (dtrides), Sara (hypergirl), Greg (GregWantsYZFun), Robert (RPM) and his wife, Barbara, for dinner. Andy (Banjoboy) also rode up from Santa Rosa after work to join in on the fun. Since our hotel was within walking distance of the brewery, I downed two pints of AlleyCat Amber just as soon as the waitress could bring ‘em. My French dip and seasoned fries were good. I can’t remember what David had for previously mentioned reason… as well as for having a good buzz going and not paying attention.

A huge thanks to the Redwood Curtain crew’s hospitality and warm welcome. It was definitely good to see you guys :thumbup

Day 2 (Friday), Eureka to Weaverville, 225 miles

Route Map

At the dinner last night, it was confirmed that Sara and Duncan would join Andy, David, and me for the long way around to Kurt’s Quincy Redux. Greg would also ride with us today, but only as far as Weaverville before heading back to Eureka.

Andy, David and I met Greg at the Chevron station on Giuntoli Lane. Our plans were to head for Willow Creek and wait there for Sara, who had some work errands to take care of first thing, to catch up. Greg, however, had to go home to search for his tank bag, so it was decided that we would just head out first and wait for everybody in Willow Creek :toothless

At that hour in the morning, the western stretch of 299 was kind of chilly and damp. We ran into a small section of construction, but that was all. As we climbed toward the top, the wind started to pick up too. We had wanted to hang at the vista point, but the strong wind convinced us to wait in Willow Creek instead.

Greg caught up…

a-183-M.jpg

Never know what you might see just waiting around…

a-184-M.jpg

Colors are starting to turn…

a-188-M.jpg

Still busy working…

a-191-M.jpg

a-193-M.jpg

Once Sara arrived, Greg took us out of Willow Creek via 96. Barely a few turns later, we were stopped by construction with controlled single lane traffic. In the procession, and directly ahead of us, there was a lone CHP patrol unit. This wouldn’t be fun if he was to stay on this course for long. Greg, being a local LEO himself, had no qualms riding the man’s rear… Ballsy :laughing Luckily, the CHP unit turned off somewhere in Hoopa, and the road was once again flowing.

As fun as 96 usually is, unfortunately, we encountered more road work on this fine day:

a-198-M.jpg

When we stopped in Orleans for a break, we got to talking about making a run for the Forks of Salmon instead of going all the way north to Happy Camp. With two more construction zones ahead, there was not much extended fun to be had on 96. For those of you unfamiliar with the Forks of Salmon, starting from Somes Bar going east, it is basically Salmon River Rd. which later splits into Sawyers Bar Rd. (the North Fork) and Cecilville-Callahan Rd. (the South Fork). The North Fork ends in Etna on 3, while the South Fork ends in Callahan. The nature of Salmon River Rd. is goaty, narrow, undivided, steep cliff drops on one side, and with countless blind corners. I was reluctant to suggest it to David, because he had just mentioned how he was uncomfortable with undivided lane the day before. However, David, being a good sport that he is, agreed to take on the challenge with no reservations.

For those that have never been on these roads, their narrowness and poor pavement conditions alone would give you pause. Add in the visual of steep cliffs and drop-offs, I have known more than a few who chose to turn around. If you do give it a try, it can be a most rewarding experience when you pop out on the other end. Slow-and-sure will get you through the bad parts.

a-199-M.jpg

In Cecilville, we decided to take the North Fork, since most of us had never done it. We encountered more of what we saw on Salmon River Rd. When we finally got to better pavement, it was either wet, sandy, or full of cow pies… In fact, you just might find cows in the middle of your flight path :rofl Sara and I both agree that the North Fork is a notch less satisfying than the South Fork. At least with the South Fork, there is that race-track-like payoff at the end ;)

Andy giving the BARF salute…

a-201-M.jpg

Sara and David…

a-203-M.jpg

Greg: “I have a dream.”

a-205-M.jpg

Once we got to Etna, a serious pit stop for both man and machine was needed. After our tanks were filled and bladders emptied, we stood in the shade and munched on whatever snacks we had instead of a sit-down meal. Sara was already plotting her bombing run on 3 over Scott Mountain, and I started thinking picture opportunities in Callahan. So it was decided that Andy, Sara and Greg would head for Weaverville while David and I will follow after a stop in Callahan. Said our goodbyes with Greg, since he would not be spending the night with the group in Weaverville, then we are off like cock-roaches.

a-212-M.jpg

a-213-M.jpg

a-215-M.jpg

a-217-M.jpg

a-218-M.jpg

a-219-M.jpg

a-221-M.jpg

The run down 3 was amazing as always. There is something about that road and its surroundings, which never fails to induce an altered state of consciousness as I work through its turns and sweepers. On the last stretch before town, I had the chance to follow David for a while. Watching him arcing nicely into each turn was a treat. He looked relaxed… He looked like he was having fun… I wondered if he was grinning in his helmet too.

That evening, we waited for Duncan’s arrival before walking ourselves down to La Grange Café. Sara, Duncan, Andy, David and I enjoyed an awesome meal together. Perfect weather, great roads, great company, great food… Life doesn’t get much better than this. Oh, I still don’t remember what David ordered.

Day3 (Saturday), Weaverville to Quincy, 225 miles

Route Map

So we were scheduled to meet Kurt and Company at the Wagon Wheel Market in Oroville around noon today. The Lost Coast contingent, Dan (Revnort) and Company, who came out to Fortuna the night before, was also planning for the same. Andy, however, strong-armed and hijacked our little group at gunpoint for a detour to Lassen Volcanic National Park instead. Kurt, it’s not my fault :toothless

I had always wanted to visit Lassen, but never had the time as I passed through the area. Having finally visited it, I am now a fan.

Man fishing on lake…

a-226-M.jpg

Pointy branch…

a-227-M.jpg

Posing…

a-228-M.jpg

King of the Hill…

a-235-M.jpg

Kung-Fu Squirrel… Bring it! I’ll kick your arse!

a-236-M.jpg

Yah!

a-237-M.jpg

Boring stuff we see on rides…

a-240-M.jpg

Andy’s time share…

a-245-M.jpg

Hitchhiker with freakish white legs, impeccable sense of styling, and a twitchy half smile… Would you pick him up?

a-259-M.jpg

Duncan coming in for landing…

a-260-M.jpg

Duncan running the tower…

a-265-M.jpg

Well, it wasn’t a long ride to the Gold Pan Lodge in Quincy. We arrived fairly early in the afternoon. Duncan and Sara rode out toward Bucks Lake to intercept Kurt and Co. Andy disappeared to his room. I couldn’t find the fish taco place where we were supposed to meet for a snack, so David and I ended up at the Subway for sandwiches. When we were done, we saw Duncan and Sara returning without Kurt and Co. We figured we might as well make the 17-mile run for the lake too. Not more than 5 minutes on 162, Kurt and Co. blasted pass the other direction. I gave the proper salute and continued on to the lake.

It’s a fun road without the boat-towing RVs of summer. Empty berths…

a-266-M.jpg

Another picture op on the way back…

a-267-M.jpg

Peeling paint…

a-276-M.jpg

Then I heard all this ruckus from the field behind me… Couldn’t believe my dumb luck to have witnessed it all.

a-284-M.jpg

a-286-M.jpg

a-287-M.jpg

a-288-M.jpg

a-291-M.jpg

Damn paparazzi!

a-292-M.jpg

After that show of nature, I headed back to the motel to get cleaned up. Didn’t have much planned for the day other than hanging out in the parking lot and wait for others to show up. The Lost Coast contingent showed up just before it went dark. We had 20 riders for the Quincy Redux. Not bad.

All there is left to do for the evening was pizza, beer, MotoGP, and loitering :toothless

Day4 (Sunday), Homebound, 280 miles

Going home today. Sad that this little road trip was coming to an end, but I was also missing my wife and my dog. After Kurt’s repairs were taken care of, we split up into two groups and headed down the mountains. Hwy 70 was a joy at that hour. There were very few people on it :party

Only picture opportunity today…

a-297-M.jpg

A different angle…

a-298-M.jpg

Andy took us on a cool way to get to Hwy 5. I haven’t looked at my GPS to see how we got there, but I will use that route in the future. We made a gas stop in Maxwell, then it was a non-stop express back to the Bay Area. No detours. No bonus loops. Just home.

Thanks for reading! :thumbup

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got around to posting the October trip. I'm overdue for a trip to the Lost Coast and points north. Glad you were able to stand-in. :clapping:

a-201-M.jpg

I don't know what a BARF salute is but around here that is and will probably always be a TWN salute..........

R

Great report!

Thanks to a few friends around here...I am familiar with a few places mentioned in your report. Great stuff! :yahoo:

Excellent RR and Pix! :yahoo:

I've been on some of them tharw roads... AWESOME! Makes me want to... no... I won't go to NorCal... :D

Really nice photos... you have a good eye for composition. Just curious as to what kind of camera/lens setup you are using (I am lugging around the Nikon DSLR but I am looking for a smaller/lighter option).

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks all. Glad to have this opportunity to contribute a little.

AlleyCat, these were taken with Canon PowerShot SD780 IS:

•  
  • Heading north on Hwy 1 after lunch…
  • Once on 101 again, it was easy cruising…
  • One of the giants…
  • Gratuitous bike pr0n…
  • As fun as 96 usually is…
  • Posing…
  • Empty berths…

The other pics were shot with Canon 50D and Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I almost always have the PowerShot handy in my chest pocket. If I was on a smell-the-roses ride, I would also haul the following:

Canon 50D

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I prefer a DSLR, but I miss fewer opportunities with a pocket camera. For a pocket cam, I wish for something along the line of Lumix LX5... or a bulkier Canon G line. I would consider leaving the DSLR home with either option.