• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

4" HID Auxilliary lights - Group Buy ~ShangLight Express -Order Placed~

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a project that went well - but nowhere in this thread do I see a price for anything except the lights?

It would be nice to know what the price is (who knows, maybe a set of these will complement the Micro DE Xenons I have - I'm still not vaporising all of the bugs before they get to the bike).

As to the bulb color temps, what bulb does the fixture use? If it is that obnoxious it can't be difficult to swap out the bulb for a proper 4200K so that it will match what I have now. Or pehaps the manufacturer wouldn't mind running a few sets with 4200K bulbs installed? Also - how about asking him if he'd anodise the ring in black up front instead of that rather striking red he used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a project that went well - but nowhere in this thread do I see a price for anything except the lights?
It would be nice to know what the price is (who knows, maybe a set of these will complete the Micdo DE Xenons?).

As to the bulb color temps, what bulb does the fixture use? If it is that obnoxious it can;t be difficult to swap out the bulb for a proper 4200K so that it will match what I have now. Or pehaps the manufacturer wouldn;t mid running a few sets with 4200K bulbs installed? Also - how about asking him if he'd anodise the ring in black up front instead of that rather striking red he used?
Alex has created a wonderful set of mounts and brackets, link in the initial post or Info Here Clicky You'll find pricing there.

I have had some dialogue with the manuf along all sorts of things, including big bulk quantities, light color options, etc etc etc.

Bottom line is that a color other than 6000 K is not an option. Perhaps some folks will experiment with swapping bulbs as you describe, -and then we can start the debate on whether the ballasts in these lights will match up with other bulbs etc, etc etc.

Slap-n-pop has posted a great comment on this topic and may be a good source for wisdom as the rest of us scratch our heads.

I don't foresee the manuf anodizing the ring for us -at least not without a big investment, likely in big excess of $5digits order quantity. And even then we're likely looking at lead times and more complications. IMO best to get these from their warehouse to the USA with as little drama as possible. Also, Alex's powerder coating value-add is awesome and IMO could not be improved upon.

I think in the coming weeks you'll see a lot of us running these lights through the paces -seeing if this china light is a good option. Certainly the price is good.

Perhaps they'll be some group buy(s) in the future. Honestly, without Alex's contribution to accept bulk shipment and then shipping with his brackets -this one would not have been the success that it was, certainly not as efficient. Alex really provided a lot -across the board.

If there is interest, perhaps it'll be done again, and perhaps it'll be joint venture again, ...or perhaps Alex will just take the lead on all. Yes Alex, maybe that was a hint LOL LOL -we can talk if this china game is one that both or either of us wants to pursue

But first let's all play with these lights and see what we think.

...john

Looks great guys and I have been wanting to do this but with lights about a quarter of the size and mounted lower on the bike. It would not be as bright but the trade off would be I do not ride in the dark enough. Those lights are bright!! :wub:

I finally got around to mounting them!!

db0afe62.jpg

I will paint the brackets black, but I don't think I'll be using Alex's mounts. I want to be able to take them off and on quickly so the single bolt at the bottom will make it faster, and I have disconnects on the power leads I can pull through the plastic. I used 2 pieces of 1/8th by 1-1/2" aluminum stacked.

03cad0d4.jpg

My only concern is the weight. With them mounted, my mirrors now vibrate a bit. I might try and drill the top hole closer to the mirror bracket so the weight is on top, as I think it has a slight levering action now. I know I won't have them mounted all the time, so I'll weld up a support for the sub frame this winter, so it won't cause a "dcarver" :rolleyes: . They are MUCH whiter than my stock lights, but that's 6000K for ya. VERY bright, and the price was right. Just have them wired direct from the battery right now, so I'll need to relay them off switched power in the future.

294b300c.jpg

This shows you the color difference (yes I aimed them high for the photo) stock lights are in low beam, and they are the ones I purchased from the UK. They were whiter than the factory bulbs that came with the bike, but this clearly shows "not white enough"

791df30f.jpg

be1f6575.jpg

Renojohn,

First off...another great RR. and this one had bobbbies.... :)

I was wondering how the China lights are holding up (perhaps you're working on a follow-up report on them). hint hint.

I was wondering how many watts they suck? (if you could, give me it in terms of Datel reading). I'm personally hoping for a .4 or less drop.

Do you think Top Gun brackets could support the weight of these?

Are you or Alex thinking of another group buy?

Thanks,

Dave

Renojohn,
First off...another great RR. and this one had bobbbies.... :)

I was wondering how the China lights are holding up (perhaps you're working on a follow-up report on them). hint hint.

I was wondering how many watts they suck? (if you could, give me it in terms of Datel reading). I'm personally hoping for a .4 or less drop.

Do you think Top Gun brackets could support the weight of these?

Are you or Alex thinking of another group buy?

Thanks,

Dave
I have a bit over 5,000 mile on mine and haven't had any issues. I was able to tighten down the mount/brackets and still be able to make slight tweaks while moving down the road (not the safest thing to do) The nylon washers allowing just enough pressure to hold steady but still allow for tweaking without tools.

My Datel reads 13.9-14 while moving down the road. During the initial power on it would dip down .7-.8 but would quickly recover to a steady draw of .4-.5 volts. I had some 55w halogens and they would pull .7-.8 all the time. I'm very happy with the current draw.

I have produced a few extra mounts that work on virtually any light, and have also made additional light bracket specific to these 4" lights. Pricing is still the same.

It is noteworthy that the mounts should be placed first, then the rubber spacer, then the mirror. That combo has resulted in the least amount of vibration. They will still jiggle around a bit but nothing too major.

Alex

I have about 11,000 miles on mine now with fair amount of National Forest dirt roads, bad pavement and construction zones to test everything. Both the lights and brackets have done very well and are still going strong. :specool:

This is an old topic but I just bought a set of these from a forum member - they had never been installed. I am trying to get them installed this week and I was wondering if anyone has measured power consumption. I want to make sure I have them fused appropriately. Is 10A higher than necessary?

By the way, for anyone who has been using these for awhile, how are they holding up?

Ross

This is an old topic but I just bought a set of these from a forum member - they had never been installed. I am trying to get them installed this week and I was wondering if anyone has measured power consumption. I want to make sure I have them fused appropriately. Is 10A higher than necessary?

By the way, for anyone who has been using these for awhile, how are they holding up?

Ross
Ross, they will pull more at startup then settle back down to a bit over 5A. You are fine with selecting a 10A fuse.

Thanks for the fast reply!! I will start out with the 10A fuse. I don't like over-fusing stuff but really hate to have an unnecessary blown fuse even more.

Ross