Battery bolt loosening

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The negative terminal bolt loosens a bit over time and is first noticed during starts.

The connection sandwich is the battery terminal, the negative cable terminal, a round eyelet from the charger pigtail I added, a flat washer and finally the bolt head.

Is threadlocker appropriate here or should I use some type of lock washer?

I don't think the battery is moving about although the bolted strap over the top is not all that snug on the battery.

Maybe I need to bend the negative cable a bit to minimize any mechanical force being applied to the connection.

I think this battery is slightly smaller than the two previous ones.

... I think this battery is slightly smaller than the two previous ones.
Any movement at all of the battery in its housing will cause flexure at the terminal which would tend to loosen it. Make sure the battery is clamped so it can't move in the frame, pack it with something if necessary. And make sure the cables won't vibrate.

You shouldn't need thread lock or to over-tighten the terminal. If you feel the need for a lock-washer, find a wavy washer rather than a star, they cause less corrosion, but I don't believe one is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check bolts & terminals for thread condition. If the threads on either/both have worn or corroded slightly, clean 'em up, and wrap a little strip of metal foil around the bolt threads, similar to how one uses teflon tape for plumbing/gas fittings.

Motorcycle batteries used to come with regular split lock washers on the terminal bolts and they worked fine.

The FJR service manual does not provide a torque spec for the battery terminal bolts. It does provide one for the battery securing bolt (but that's not what we are talking about here)

Based on terminal torques for my other bikes, I would not exceed 60 to 70 inch pounds of torque on the battery terminal bolts. Thats about 5 to 6 ft lbs of torque. I always use an inch pound Snap-on torque wrench for this purpose. Over tightening can phuck up your day!

There is no law against using lock washers or star washers to help grip the bolt better and guard against loosening.

Let alone a "snap-on" torque wrench. Who ever would use one of those probably uses "amsoil" smoke replacers for the ecu's.

Latest posts