Bikerskier's 50-60-70 Big Ride - 4 corners ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 43 Perfect, sunny and warm! AND I got to spend over 4 hours in the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. I just love this stuff and I can slowly wander around, taking pictures and enjoying the history write ups of so many of these great aircraft, from open cockpit biplanes to the most modern jets and unmanned vehicles. There were many active displays of process as well, including a live briefing on visiting a carrier deck during operations and then you move to another room where the screen in huge and the wind is blowing and you can smell JP4 and the noise is awesome and you watch the planes take off and land. Learning how the catapult launch system works is very cool.Very exciting stuff. The Navy has done an incredible job here on this beautiful base right on the beach. The cafeteria even has many active duty personnel coming there to eat. Left all my gear stacked on the bike in the parking lot and had a super time. Easy ride from there up to Hattiesburg, maybe 220 miles total for the day.

Day 44 Warm and sunny. Stopped in at a very large bike dealer in Hattiesburg for an overdue oil change. $132.50. $80 bucks for 20 min.labor plus oil and filter. The most I have ever previously paid was less than $90, which is still way too high. Bad feeling about this BS. Then an easy 120 mile ride to Mariannes's sister's place on a lake in Madison, MS. Not long after arrival i fell victim to a pretty bad bout of food poisoning which lasted throughout the night and still giving me grief at 3 PM on Wed. Something in the hotels breakfast buffet gave me the goods. Crap! My lead lined stomach can usually take a lot of abuse. Resting until Fri AM and then heading down to New Orleans to visit friends.

Days 45 & 46 Resting and enjoying the love and hospitality of Lee and Linda and their daughters families. And trying to shake off the stomach ailment. Perfect warm weather for lying on the dock and dozing and reading and dozing and more dozing. Realized I have been encased in my armed gear and not getting enough sun other than my face.

Day 47 Said thanks and so long to my wonderful hosts and hit the road. Went to my niece's husbands office for a chiropractic session on my back which did wonders so I hope it lasts a long time. Then switched back and forth from I55 and Hwy 51 heading south to New Orleans. Had to take an extended break at a very funky old "truck stop" in Bogue Chitto, great name, to let the stomach rest again. I'm sitting at a booth, sipping water and the waitress/cook,etc keeps checking if I want some pork chops or hamburger steak, etc. The most expensive thing on the menu is $7.95 and at least a dozen words are mis spelled. Pretty cool. I really need to take more pictures. Finally got back on the bike and beat it down to Lake Ponchatrain and paid $3.00 toll to drive the 24 miles across the causeway into New Orleans. Late Friday afternoon and inbound traffic is almost empty, Very nice change from what I55 and I10 would be like coming in on Friday PM.
Went to Jim & Carol's home and the off for some very good charbroiled oysters and soft shelled crab at Mr. Eds Oyster House.
And then to the theater for the Broadway production of Chicago. Excellent production. Pretty damn nice evening!

Day 48 Hot and humid in New Orleans. Had a great day, seeing so many neighborhoods of this very cool city that visitors and tourists would never see without a local guide. Really interesting seeing the areas that flooded from Katrina and those that did not and the reasons for that. Interesting in that most areas close to the Mississippi, are on higher ground due to centuries of silt deposit along the banks which slowly raised these areas several feet. These are also the neighborhoods that have the incredibly beautiful old homes and gardens and parks. Jim & Carol's home in Metarie did not flood because it is in an area that is 1-2 feet higher than the rest. Most of the flooding came from the Lake Ponchatrain direction when the pumps and canal levees failed. Flooding in the 9th ward at the east end of the city came from all directions. Huge new hardened pumping stations are still under construction with many improvements to levees and canals.
I had the good fortune to meet a friend of my hosts, Gary Smith, who among many other things, owns an amazing car and motorcycle collection showcased in a beautiful modern showroom. He was extremely generous with his time spending almost 3 hours slowly showing the bikes and cars and describing in great detail the construction and history. A very hands on, personable and knowledgable guy. He owns all the choppers that are used in many movies, like the recent Expendables, with Stallone, Schwarzenegger and others. Probably 35 custom choppers mostly built by his crew, with gorgeous paint and trim, all on battery tenders, licensed and ready for the street. Most are ridden regularly. 4 of them have 427 blocks nestled into their frames. His cars include a Ford GT (one of less than 400 built) a new Aventador, a new Ferrari 458 Italia, a custom Porsche 911, an electric Fisker, etc. A number of rebuilt special older cars and trucks add to the the collection. My kind of entertainment.
Ran out of time and missed the World War II museum, so that, among other things is a good excuse to return. Jim and I wandered around the French Quarter for several hours in early evening, entertained by the insane folks, music and activities of Bourbon St.
Great day!

Day 49 Sunny / hot / humid. B/fast with Jim and Carols family and then a tour of pf the 9th Ward, the area that was hardest hit with Katrina. This area, east of the city was covered in 10-15' of water and was devastated. Now most of it has been repaired and several areas of new homes are built. Still an area rife with poverty, it will never be a symbol of urban beauty but it is being gentrified with many young couples and struggling to recover. Millions have been poured into the area and other NO areas, and huge sums of that disappeared under Ray Nagin's corrupt administration and millions more were simply wasted by inept beaurocrats. Nagin is in prison but the money is gone. Many Hollywood celebrities visited to have their pictures taken while swinging a hammer a few times for Habitat for Humanity projects.
Left in early afternoon heading west and north and started to hit bad weather a bit south of Winnfield, LA. Steady rain turned to a severe storm, with heavy rain and high winds and I sheltered for a bit under a service station portico. I found out that a Best Western was a half mile up the road so raced there to get a room. Very heavy weather with tornado alerts to the north.

Day 50 Holed up in the Best Western in Winnfield, LA all day watching pouring rain, heavy winds, thunder and lightning from my room. Severe storm warnings with some roads closed. Watched TV, read, dozed and was generally bored out of my mind. Storm passed about 7 this evening and the forecast for tomorrow is nice so I will have an early start heading west on back roads to Plano, TX where Mariannes brother lives. Fortunately the motel has a restaurant so I did not have to get soaked to eat. The place is a family gathering spot for many locals and was very busy Sun evening after church, even with the storm. Pretty cool.

With a little quick counting on all my fingers and toes, I deduce that Aug 25 to now is about 50 days, so I guess this RR is pretty current. And I know you live in Portland, a long way from Louisiana, so we have more to look forward to, and looking forward to your pictures as well.

Agreeing with others, this is a great RR. I'm enjoying the off-bike details and color commentary, You're setting a high standard, my friend. Just one thing had me a little concerned:

. . . Wonderful restaurant fish dishes abound. Had some grouper cheeks last nite which were delicious. The baby manatee, about seven feet long, was a real highlight for me. . .
I thought you were going to tell us how it tasted!
omg2.gif
Oh, the humanity! I mean Oh, the manatee! But I guess you just looked at it, right? Keep enjoying, and keep posting. Looking forward to it.

Day 51 dawns clear and cool, a perfect riding morning. Spent about 4 hours wandering through NW Louisiana and into Texas, winding up in Longview for lunch and then headed west on 80 into Dallas, avoiding freeways until the last minute. The late afternoon sun is a factor now that that I am westbound and when it drops into my view, it really adds to the tired factor quickly and the hazard factor goes up.Very hard to see the written directions above the map on the GPS and then almost impossible to read the exit signs with the sun behind them. Missed my exit due to this but the next was only a half mile further so no big deal.
Stopped for the night at Mariannes brother, Tom and wife Sue's place in Plano (north of Dallas) and was treated to homemade pot roast, just excellent after all the restaurant food. And several refreshments of the top shelf variety were kindly offered and accepted. Damn nice evening.
Really a nice day, warning from 55 in the morning to about 75 around 5 PM. Gas at 2.89/gal. Nice. About 345 miles today.

Day 52 Another perfect morning clear and cool, but you know that it will warm up pretty toasty later when the sun gets its it work done. Left around 8:30 heading north westerly towards New Mexico, via Amarillo. Texas, well, its big, flat, dry, brown, straight roads mostly, not very fun but fast, speed limit is 70 & 75. Small, dusty towns that sure could use a spruce up, but what do I know about their circumstances and priorities? Everyone I encounter is friendly and curious when they see the Oregon plate. Wish I had put some Oregon stickers on the tail bag before I left, Ducks on one side and Beavers on the other. Thought I would stop in Amarillo when the sun dropped into view but a stop at an Ace hardware provided an elegant, simple solution. The guy gave me a foot of 1 1/2 " masking tape, which I skillfully installed across the top of the clear visor which reduced the top of the viewing area. This effectively lowers the sun's access to my eyes by about 2 hours. Nice! Arrived in Tucumcari, NM just as the sun got really annoying. Dinner at a steak house next to the hotel was good and they used at Deschutes coaster, but had not described it when offering libations. The manager told me they tried Black Butte Porter in draft but couldn't sell it so gave up on it. Good marks to him for trying craft beers from other regions. He gave me the Porter draft tap lever. 475 miles today.

Day 53 and perfect. High scattered clouds and cool in the morning and bright and sunny and warm all afternoon. Spent a bit of time this AM driving up and down the old Route 66 in town getting some pics before heading north west to Santa Fe. Pretty easy run to this beautiful town and parked in the old town area for more pics and lunch. Very busy with tourists with the perfect weather in October. Headed north on 85 towards Chama and the Colorado border. Beautiful 2 lane roads are almost deserted and fun to drive. Chama is along a river in a wooded valley with all the leaves golden and tons of sport fishing advertising. Seems to be a very popular place for outdoorsmen. Then further north to Pagosa Springs in Colorado. This is a beautiful spot and I want to come back here. Good looking town, seems very prosperous, river, mountains, golf courses and more. Nice. Checked in and walked to a great spot for a smoked meat club sandwich. Excellent! Fine Day! About 352 miles.

Day 54 Clear and almost cold this AM, pretty darn brisk. Wanted a better look at Pagosa Springs so I backtracked through the town checking things out. Stopped at a little bakery and had the best damn black cherry pie and a glass of milk ever! Eventually got rolling west to Durango and headed north on Hwy 550 to check out the Million Dollar Highway. Very nice and easy to Silverton,which is about 9300' elevation and thing further north to Ouray. This is the good part. About 25 miles of very twisty fantastic road, several 10.000+ passes with snow in the shady spots of the woods. Huge views, and lots of places with no guardrails and big fricken drop offs. After more than a month of flat land riding it took a bit of adjusting to find my zen and hear the mental music to enjoy the corners.

https://www.google.com/search?q=million+dollar+highway&biw=1024&bih=506&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-8BBVLWaMqTy8AHxgoGIBA&ved=0CCoQsAQ

Check out this link to see great pictures of this road. The road drops through a series of very tight switchbacks into Ouray, which is a very cool high mountain town in a box canyon that was bathed in afternoon light and yellow/gold leaves. Continued up to Ridgeway where I had been a month earlier when on the outbound trip. Repeated part of that trip by heading west (instead of east) back to Telluride, and swung west just short of town heading for Rico and Cortez. Beautiful ride over Lizard Pass (10,222') and on to Cortez for the night. Did not make much progress as far as heading west but had a very fine day.
About 260 miles.

Day 55 High clouds, cool at 45 in the AM, warming to almost 70 in the afternoon. What a great day! Started by spending the morning in Mesa Verde National Park and learning about the ancient people who lived in these amazing cliff side dwellings. We have always heard them called Anasazi, but apparently that is a Navajo word for ancient people and the Pueblos now say thats really wrong, since they are Pueblo ancestors and the Pueblos hate the Navajos so all the literature has been revised to call them ancient Pueblans. I spent most of my time at Spruce Top House where you can walk down into the canyon and see up close this amazing village. Had a very good experience. The bonus was that the 20 mile road from the hwy to the sites is a superb windy road with great views.
Back to Cortez for lunch and then through some really cool open high desert to Hoevenweep, which is another ancient site.

West to Blanding and then Hwy 95 west through fantastic country and the north end of Lake Powell and Glen Canyon. Non stop views of red rock, and canyons and towering rock pillars, and really colorful striated, smooth rock formations. Cannot describe how truly beautiful this is. Overnight in Hanksville and so much more of this beauty Sunday. 310 miles.

Day 56, clear and beautiful West to Torrey on a fantastic beautiful road through Capital Reefs Nat Park. Saw a sign for Hickman Natural Arch and decided I must see this. The sign in the parking area said 1.1 miles which sounded like a nice morning stroll, it started along a terrific stream and then swung up and up and some more up. I think it was about .9 miles up and a little bit of level. This frail and fragile 70 year old has not had a lot of exercise is the past 2 months and at 7500' or so of elevation, I had to stop and catch my breath several times. It was so worth it and I sat under the arch and rested and admired this spectacular setting. I did pass several folks on the way up, so I guess I'm gonna survive this.
Had a really great lunch in Torrey at a very interesting deli/bakery run by a cool couple. Love these random discoveries of great food in unlikely locations.
South on Hwy 12 on one of the most loved biking roads in America, through the Escalante National Monument. Amazing beauty, windy roads and views to die for. A twisty section along a knife edge ridge for about a mile with no guardrails and drop offs on both sides had me puckering pretty good. Dang! Into Escalante for a much deserved double scoop ice cream sitting in the shade at a road side place called Nemo's. Very nice. There is next to no traffic at this time of year and I love riding these almost empty roads in such fantastic weather.
Now down to Bryce Canyon, a major attraction which did have a fair number of folks in the parking lots. Did I mention that I bought a Senior Lifetime National Parks Pass for about $20 bucks a few years ago and it has saved me over $200 on this trip alone. I spent an hour or more at several of lookouts which have 8000' vertical drop offs which really terrifies me. My fear of heights has slowly worsened over the last few years and I struggle getting close to the guard rails. I see these tourists getting off the trail and close to the edge for photos and I have to walk away. Many are European on bus tours and are a noisy bunch. Bryce views are fantastic and the erosion is really interesting. I urge all of you to Google these areas and see all the great pictures on line. What a beautiful area! Stopped for pie because of the billboard and decided ti stay at the neighboring Best Western for the night. Discovered I lost my headlights sometime during the day, possibly due to a fuse or relay gone bad. Damn! Still have the auxilary lights, so I am very visible from the front. Will need some help for this fix.
245 absolutely fantastic miles today.

Day 57 clear and cool and sweet. Nice ride to Kanab which was a mjaor center for most of the western movies made for many years. Then 89 south to Jacobs Lake for the turn off to the North Rim. Very excited since I have never seen the Grand Canyon and the 47 mile road is beautiful, forested, nice sweeper corners and no traffic. All the visitor facilities closed for the season a couple of days ago, so although the park is open, no amenities are are available. Who cares? Parked in an almost empty parking lot and started to explore. Found my way to the Bright Angel viewpoint, which is the main observation trail. It is a very well kept trail about 3-4' wide and follows a very narrow ridge line out to a very small promontory about a 1/4 mile walk. Some parts are cliff on one side and drop off on the other, Other parts are drop off on both sides. The views are drop dead gorgeous but I'm struggling with my fear of heights and have to stop twice to gather courage to continue. Finally with several hundred yards to go up and over some ridge contours, I have to stop and turn around. I cannot continue, although other folks seem to have no trouble at all. I hate this weakness and try so hard to enjoy what I can see. It is clearly a rock solid 4' wide trail so why can't my brain accept this and let me go forward? Arrrgghh! Anyway back on wider ground, I do more exploring and get some great views of this spectacle of nature. I love reading the signs describing the geological events and history of the place. After a couple of hours I head back north to catch 89 again and head further south east towards Flagstaff. Went thru a prescribed burn area with smoke and ranger types watching the fire. Road was very fun and finally dumped out on this huge wide open valley that was about 5 miles wide and 30 miles or more long leading to Marble Canyon and a bridge crossing of the Colorado River. A mile or so before the bridge, I saw these very odd rock formations that looked like mushrooms about 30' high and pulled over to check them out and found two Navajo women selling trinkets in the shade of one of them. Pretty cool formations that a woman 80 years ago started to build rock shelters under some of them. Who knows why. Walked out on a pedestrian bridge over the Colorado to take some pics and the water is very silty which you can see in the photo. A great day ended in Flagstaff. About 250 miles.

Day 58 -Clear and 34 degrees in Flagstaff. Missed the time change and got to the bike shop an hour early and sat in the sun and dozed waiting for the shop to open. 3 hours later, a headlight relay was discovered to be at fault and fixed along with a new set of tires. Set 3 for the ride. Off to Sedona on 89A which is a 25 mile really sweet road with lots of twisties and sweepers and red rock formations and forest and pretty views. A very good large bowl of Posole at a Mexican restaurant in very busy and touristy downtown Sedona and off again. Had a warm long sleeve thin fleece on since it was chilly in the AM, but now it was hot so I went intot a t shirt store and asked the girl for the cheapest shirt she had. She asked what color and theme, etc, to which I replied, I don't care. Changed in the shop and felt much better. Headed straight to Chandler, AZ a suburb in SE Phoenix which got me a terrible dose of late afternoon rush hour freeways, which I despise. Made it to friend Don's home at 5:45 and had a very nice evening.
Maybe 200 miles. Forgot to check.

More observations:

Have I told you lately how much I hate rush hour big city freeways? Entered the Phoenix area from the north on I-17, then east on 101 Loop around to the south to 202 East, arriving at Don's house at 5:30, Not a even tiny bit of fun.

Most of my interaction with folks on the ride have been those in the service industry at my motels, restaurants and gas stations. And so much of the pleasure I am getting on this trip comes from the warm, kind and curious questions from them. I have had so few grumpy people to deal with that I feel very lucky. The impression I am left with of a motel or restaurant is often based on the interaction with the staff. I get way too many emails from the motel chains (I belong to several loyalty clubs) and they don't realize that much of my rating is based on their staff attitude.

I want ALL VEHICLES TO HAVE LIGHTS ON ALL THE TIME!!! I keep seeing grey vehicles on grey asphalt at dusk at the last minute and I wonder if these folks are just plain stupid.

Utah is incredibly beautiful!

I am so, so lucky to be on this ride.

My bike is so covered in bugs, I'll always have protein if I get lost.

I very much appreciate my followers liking and making comments on my posts, thank you!

Day 59 Great evening watching game 1 of the Series, drinking Corona and eating a great batch of take out Chinese. Thanks to Don, Donna and Seth.
Clear and warm, likely hot in the valley, but I'm heading east into the hills where it will be much cooler. Wait, east? I'm supposed to be going west... Turns out I really want to run Hwy 191 from Alpine down to Clifton which is supposed to be non stop 110 miles of twisties in canyons. So I head for Globe, Show Low and overnight in Springerville. What a great day, super nice sweepers almost all the way,Several big canyons to descend and climb out and some very pretty forests in the Show Low area. Very little traffic and stayed under 75 for the high temp at this elevation. Tomorrow I hit the canyons and corner non stop for several hours.

Day 66 Another morning in Paradise (San Diego). Wish it were not in CA and affordable!!! Sunny and warm. Went for a great walk around the Naval Center area where my hosts fabulous home is and saw great parks and memorials and projects remodeling many of the old Navy buildings. Another late start (I like these easy days) and off again for my last leg northbound to home. Retraced my I-8 route back about 40 miles and headed north on sweet, curvy mountain roads with little traffic. Stopped in Julian for lunch at a bakery/cafe and had a great bowl of soup and a half sandwich. Very pretty little town with a ton of cafes. Continued north, mostly on 89 and then 74 and wound down into the Coachella Valley and Palm Springs. It was hot up in the hills and hotter down here, real glad to get off the bike and check into my room. Had a great Thai dinner, exceptional Tom Yum and green curry and back to watch the rest of Game 7.
Great day, maybe 160 miles.

Day 67 Sunny and warm climbing out of the Coachella Valley north into the high desert and long straight roads. It was pleasant running with very little traffic between 3000' and 4000' but hugely boring. A crossroads with several dusty homes and businesses called Lucerne Valley interrupted my boredom and I stopped for some bacon and eggs. All the motels have continental breakfasts so I usually do with cereal, or toast and jelly and If lucky some oatmeal and a banana. Hooked onto 395 and swung north again along Edwards AFB and points north towards the mountains. A lot of dry empty country for a long way before entering the Owen Valley and the neat town of Bishop. From here things get very pretty with curvy roads and trees for awhile. Decided to turn up the Mammoth Mountain road and look for a motel. Getting real cool in the shade. After check in I had an outstanding pizza at John's Pizza Works next door to the motel.
Pretty damn nice day. About 345 miles.

Day 68 Clear and cold, 27 degrees. It warmed up eventually to the mid 60's at lower elevations so it was great riding day. This turned out to be one of my favorite days of the entire ride. My friend, Will Fendon, grew up in this area and he coached me on some great side trips which I promptly jumped on. First up to the end of the Mammoth road to Mary Lake and Twin Lakes which were beautiful and then up to the ski area and past to Minaret Point at 9800' with great views. I seem to be spending a lot of time lately around 9000'+, obviously in training for some Everest adventure, using motorized power. Next I took the June Lake loop road which may be the most spectacularly pretty section of the whole ride. June Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake in about a 15 mile amazing windy loop through mountain and forests. You must see this area!. Next up to Lee Vining and west to Tioga Pass and Yosemite National Park. The pass and gate is 12 mies up a very windy climbing canyon and then runs a long way west before dripping into the western valleys. I only went 17 miles to Olmstead lookout but I had fantastic views of granite cliffs and streams and high meadows the whole way. A pretty good amount of activity with a lot of hikers and climbers and day trippers in the area. It was cloudy, very windy and damn cold at Olmstead, so I was happy to head east back into the sun. I did find a place where I could scramble around on one of the smooth granite rock slopes and i was amazed at the super grip my boots provided on the rough surface. In my climbing days back in my late 20's and early 30's this would have been great fun in spite of my early days of height fear.
Back to 395 and lunch at Whoa Nelli Deli which was superb. Stopped at the Mono Lake Visitor center which was very interesting how this lake had started to rejuvenate after years of supplying water to Los Angeles. It is also very salty which cause strange carbonate formations around the lake and under water. Continued north and headed into South Lake Tahoe for the night. Thought I would try for Truckee but the weather forecast was bad so I decided to quit here.

What a day!!! About 265 fantastic miles!

Day 69 - Weather day off. the storm left snow and ice at lake level and more higher up. Since Lake Tahoe is in a bowl, you have to climb in every direction to move on. Pretty area to hang out but it was cold so did not start the bike. Took several good walks, including one to Harrah's Casino which has been here forever. Found a great bar, Base Camp, to watch the Duck's game and that was fun and pretty different to be surrounded by noisy folks. I was the only one interested in the Duck game, several were watching the Auburn game, mostly it was young folks partying on Sat night. Early night to bed, hopefully I can get a reasonable start time and journey north. still undecided on routes due to road conditions. Do not want very many icy corners.
I have seen few, if any, other riders in the past 3-4 days, maybe too late in the year? In fact, other than in San Diego, I've not seen many for a long time.
I had originally intended a detour into Mexico, somewhere along the western border, however, due to concerns by loved ones, i passed on that thought. An old gringo, traveling alone, on a very shiny expensive bike might make a easy target.

Day 70 Clear and cold. Left at 35 degrees and arrived in Altura, CA about 305 miles later at 37 degrees, I think it warmed up to the high 40's during the day. Beautiful ride up Hwy 89 on the west side of Lake Tahoe to Emerald Bay with the 10 mph hairpin turns culminating in that 400 yard knife edge ridge ride 2 lanes wide and winding around to the lookouts. Just spectacular today and the roads were fine. Several places there were 3-4 inches of snow on the roadside so it probably got more than that on Sat. AM I'm really glad I waited for the weather to clear to enjoy the views and clear the roads. I'm wearing a lot of gear but my hands get cold so when I got to Truckee, I looked at the glove rack in the local CVS store not expecting much. Lo and behold some XL winter gloves with Thinsulate for the princely sum of $14.95. Now, yesterday, I had checked out several of the sporting good stores in Tahoe and the cheapest glove was $75.00 and since I have way too many pairs of gloves at home, I was not going to spend that much. $14.95 was just right and they performed admirably all day long. Well, almost, my last hour was getting dark and cold and my hands did get chilly. Pretty cool town of Truckee next to Squaw Valley where I had lunch at Jax by the Trax. A cocker service dog came in and I took a pic of him. Took 89 all the way up to 36 and it was a very nice ride through plenty of forest and mountains, and then swung east to Susanville. Decided to run a nice deserted 2 lane high desert road (139) at around 5000' straight north to Adin and Alltura to finish the day. Pretty much early winter riding.
Beautiful day with great riding, albeit chilly. I can sense the barn in a couple of days.

Day 71 Grey and cloudy and cold. Brr. Got all the gear on and headed north on 395 riding through high desert and great big views. Yesterday the huge valleys and dry lakes on the last section to Altura were also very interesting. So hard for me to stop and get all the pictures I wished to take. Snow on all the ridges and distant mountain tops. Winter is real close in the desert and there was very little traffic. Crossing into Oregon felt good because it signals my last few days. I'm strong though, and I feel as if I could take a week off and start over on a different route, although I'm sure Marianne and Megan might have something to say about that. Soup and some work on the computer at a restaurant in Lakeview, and then on 31 heading northwest to La Pine. This is an empty road mostly straight but with several hilly / forested areas to break the monotony. Had the world's best Reuben at Harvest Depot in LaPine with Ray and Patty, friends from the FJR Forum and then finished the days ride up to Redmond on 97 where Kate & Jim live. A great afternoon relaxing and then a perfect steak and salad and top shelf wine capped the evening.
About 265 miles. Very good day!

Day 72 or is it 73, not entirely sure but...

HOME!!!!

Great relaxing start to the morning with Kate & Jim at one of their favorite breakfast places in Redmond. Had some outstanding homemade oatmeal and finished it with some crisp bacon, rye toast and ketchup. Kate had some pretty weird expressions on her face as I squirted ketchup on my little bacon sandwich. Delicious! Kate packed a little goodie bag with some really good homemade cookies which will be dessert for Marianne, Matt and I tonight.
Packed up and headed for Santiam Pass where it was pretty darn cool and rainy with fog/clouds to the ground. No problems, very light traffic and stopped for soup at Detroit Lake. Have you noticed a pattern? I really like soup, and try to have it every day, preferably broth based rather than cream. But I'll happily eat most anything. Except nuts, I'm happy to say my 4 Epipens were never touched.
Hit I-5 at Salem and had an easy ride up to Tigard and into my driveway. Very good feeling!!!
Our dog, Mia, a miniature Schnauzer was crazy excited since I'm sure she thought I was a goner. Walked into my great home to the smell of pot roast in the slow cooker. Heaven! Unpacked the bike, started some laundry and waited for Marianne to get home.
Lots of things to think about and say yet but I might take a day off before doing so. I know Megan expects me to get to work pretty darn soon.
About 190 miles.

Some props:

Overdue acknowledgements and grateful thanks to those who hosted me and provided support and encouragement,
John Neilson -Hedley, -BC
Harold & Linda Jumago -Pincher Creek, AB
Randy & Leslie Kunkel -Colorado Springs, CO
Chris & Diane Edwards, Ottawa, ON
Bob & Sandy Soucy - Fremont, NH
Ron & Carolyn Willis - Rockville, MD
Bart & Patti Sachs -Charleston, SC
Lee & Linda Lewis -Madison, MS
Jim & Carol Orr -New Orleans, LA
Tom & Sue Banes -Plano, TX
Don Stanley -Chandler, AZ
Harold & Carol Hayter -Yuma, AZ
Leslie & Randy Kunkel -San Diego, CA
Jim & Kate Ayers, -Redmond, OR
Thank you all!
Super thanks to all the folks on face book who offered encouragement and commentary to my daily posts.
And also thanks to Chris Edwards who changed my first set of tires while I ably held the flashlight.
Mike Dawson, who rode with me through 3 days of cold, windy rain in the upper Midwest.
Mike Cardena -Cardena Motorsports who prepared my bike which performed so well.
Major thanks to my daughter Megan who so brilliantly held up my end of the business.
My son Matt, who took over the household issues and was an incredible help to Marianne.
And to Marianne, my beautiful wife, who was a tower of support and love for me.

Last SPOT tracker link: https://bit.ly/1nugeup

Looks like 17,727 miles.

Amazing trip! I assume you were keeping a log and were able to copy much of it into this report. I know how hard it is once I'm back to include a RR into the process of settling in.

Congrats Ralph. Trip of a lifetime I'd say. And then some.

It was great meeting you (and Maryellen
tonguesmiley.gif
) along your journey.

So, what's next?
unsure.png

Except for not having a peace of pie in Julian, that was a heck of a great read. Well Sir!

"Stopped in Julian for lunch at a bakery/cafe and had a great bowl of soup and a half sandwich. Very pretty little town with a ton of cafes"

Wish it were easier to post pics here since I have some good ones.
It's not so hard. Upload to Photobucket or other site and link in. I have copied trip reports across forums, A simple link to off-site hosted images, is better than nothing.

BikerSkier - wonderful RR! I loved your itinerary - avoid freeways, avoid chain restaurants and avoid camping
smile.png
. I love camping but not on a solo ride of this length. Camping to me is hanging out w/ friends - daily.

Your route looks perfect! How was your Wi-Fi and/or cell LTE reception throughout the trip? Feasible for a work/ride kind of trip over a period of time?