Black Hills Roundup II DakAL/FODS planning and discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plans have fallen through and I will be on the FJR only

Riding from Redding to Colorado Springs for a visit with the Grandsons, picking up Michelle and heading to Spearfish.

It looks like we should have a nice sized manageable group of 6 or 7 for this DakAL ride. So far I see mrbill, Abercrombie, bseelbach, extrememarine, CJ, russperry, and bigjohnsd have expressed interest in riding all or part of the DakAL over four days from Tuesday to Friday.

Unfortunately the hip replacement is not healing as quickly as I had hoped and I can't make the trip this year.

I just called Bell Motor Inn and cancelled so there is now a room available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the hip replacement is not healing as quickly as I had hoped and I can't make the trip this year. I just called Bell Motor Inn and cancelled so there is now a room available.
Sorry to learn of the healing issues, we will miss you, Bill!

There will be four of us riding four long days starting a week from Tuesday.

Gas stops are planned every 120 moles or less. Plan is to be back in spearfish Friday and ride as much of the DaKal as we can.

I think we may need to cut the last section into spearfish short. If that happens we can ride that part to the fire tower leaving our camping gear behind on Saturday before the party. Should be fun to ride without all that weight! It should take a few hours according to hot rod BigJ.

So I've got everything pretty much sorted out.

I'm gonna head out on Saturday the 23rd headed for Moab with intent to ride the White Rim Trail on Sunday the 24th - that should be a good shakedown trip to make sure the bike and rider are ready for an extended trip in SD
smile.png

From Moab to Spearfish on Monday the 25th, hope to arrive by late afternoon/early evening. Maps says its about 10 hours so i don't think I'll need to leave crazy early in the morning.

I've decided to stay over Saturday night in Spearfish and join the meat-eating festival that Big John has so graciously organized, so that means I'm bringing the Ninja 1000 for some highway riding on Saturday.

Depart Spearfish on Sunday the 1st with a stopover in Salt Lake City on Sunday night, then home by Monday the 2nd.

Google Maps says that its 3000 miles on the nose from doorstep to doorstep - I guess this is my big summer vacation!

So I've got everything pretty much sorted out.
I'm gonna head out on Saturday the 23rd headed for Moab with intent to ride the White Rim Trail on Sunday the 24th - that should be a good shakedown trip to make sure the bike and rider are ready for an extended trip in SD
smile.png

From Moab to Spearfish on Monday the 25th, hope to arrive by late afternoon/early evening. Maps says its about 10 hours so i don't think I'll need to leave crazy early in the morning.

I've decided to stay over Saturday night in Spearfish and join the meat-eating festival that Big John has so graciously organized, so that means I'm bringing the Ninja 1000 for some highway riding on Saturday.

Depart Spearfish on Sunday the 1st with a stopover in Salt Lake City on Sunday night, then home by Monday the 2nd.

Google Maps says that its 3000 miles on the nose from doorstep to doorstep - I guess this is my big summer vacation!
See ya Monday Russ. Unfortunately I'm going to have to bug out Friday night or extremely early Saturday Morning to attend a wedding back in North Dakota. I wish I had things sorted out completely. The Beta has been up on the lift for a few days looking for time to install the 4 gallon IMS tank, valve check and oil change. The luggage rack with 1 gallon roto-pax has been installed and I think I'm going to be able to make the Giant Loop Great Basin work on the Beta with out too much trouble.

WARNING: As of this morning we have had 5" of rain since Saturday ! The rain looks like it will continue through the weekend. Positive - everything and everywhere will be as green as it has ever been. Negative - You will be dealing with water and mud. There may be some crossings that are uncrossable, there will be some roads, especially in the Northern most loops that are gumbo mud which will likely be impassable. Be prepared!

WARNING: As of this morning we have had 5" of rain since Saturday ! The rain looks like it will continue through the weekend. Positive - everything and everywhere will be as green as it has ever been. Negative - You will be dealing with water and mud. There may be some crossings that are uncrossable, there will be some roads, especially in the Northern most loops that are gumbo mud which will likely be impassable. Be prepared!
Sounds like the typicality weather I'm greeted with every time I go to the Black Hills. Last week we were hailed on 4 or 5 times and at least one torrential down pour every day. Great day out on a dirt bike riding in golf ball plus size hail. Thank goodness there is a lot of trees to take cover in.

wmdscf2291-S.jpg

Hail shower video

I expect you to fix all that BigJohnSD

I was really hoping that I could sneak into this last minute. As expected, and the reason for my hesitance, work commitments are going to keep me in SoCal for the next couple weeks. Enjoy the ride, mind the water. Wish I were there....

I was really hoping that I could sneak into this last minute. As expected, and the reason for my hesitance, work commitments are going to keep me in SoCal for the next couple weeks. Enjoy the ride, mind the water. Wish I were there....
Crap Frank, just Crap, I won't miss you so much but i was looking forward to seeing the Princess. JSNS

Parking Passes for trucks/trailers for my lot behind Bell's are available at Bell's upon check-in.

If you don't have the passes you will be towed and it is at least $75 to get your vehicle back.

Park on the Grass heading East please.